For those sailing in 2021...how are you feeling?

Anna Chassereau

DIS Veteran
I booked us on the 8 night Greek isles out of Rome June 19, 2021...while I’m super excited for this cruise I’m also very worried and wondering if I should even get my hopes up. I’m worried about a second wave in the fall/winter where we have to go through this all over again and our cruise gets canceled. I’m worried about what cruises will actually be like also. This will be our 4th Disney Cruise and we LOVE the shows. Will there even be shows since it’s so many people in one room? Will masks be required? Will we be able to meet characters and take pictures with them? I know no one knows the answers to these questions but it’s just constantly on my mind. I just can’t seem to get excited and really look forward to this bc I’m so worried about the what if’s. It almost makes me think about just canceling and rebooking for Europe 2022 when they become available.

If you‘re booked in 2021 how are you feeling about your cruise?

My family is booked for Alaska in May of 2021. Hopefully cruises have resumed, the borders are open, ports are open, and things have pretty much returned to normal. No shows would probably be a deal breaker for us. Masks on a cruise would be a definite deal breaker. I can't imagine having to wear them at WDW and a cruise seems even worse. One major concern I have is the price of flights next year. I've read there could be a 50% increase over pre-pandemic prices. The price of flights to Vancouver may price us out.

I was hopeful but now I just don’t know. I booked Iceland that is the very end of July next year and while it’s my dream cruise I’m so unsure if it will even go. At least there’s awhile yet

Uneasy. It's supposed to be our first Disney cruise and I'm concerned that if too many Disney touches are rolled back due to the pandemic, we'll be disappointed. I'm fine if they adjust the buffets (we're more table service people, anyway) but if the Kids Clubs are closed, the shows are cancelled and/or we need to wear a mask full time, we'll probably cancel.

That said - 100% with you. Excited but not trying to get my hopes up too high.

My family is booked for Alaska in May of 2021. Hopefully cruises have resumed, the borders are open, ports are open, and things have pretty much returned to normal. No shows would probably be a deal breaker for us. Masks on a cruise would be a definite deal breaker. I can't imagine having to wear them at WDW and a cruise seems even worse. One major concern I have is the price of flights next year. I've read there could be a 50% increase over pre-pandemic prices. The price of flights to Vancouver may price us out.
Agree no shows is a deal breaker for us too. Masks as well. Fingers crossed for you to enjoy Alaska on the Wonder next May:o

Uneasy. It's supposed to be our first Disney cruise and I'm concerned that if too many Disney touches are rolled back due to the pandemic, we'll be disappointed. I'm fine if they adjust the buffets (we're more table service people, anyway) but if the Kids Clubs are closed, the shows are cancelled and/or we need to wear a mask full time, we'll probably cancel.

I understand and especially for your first Disney Cruise I know you want the full experience...I think the unknown is just so very hard. I know time will tell with a lot of this and maybe some of the precautions they put into place at first will be done away with over time...it’s just so hard to plan a cruise right now without even A. knowing when they’ll sail again and B. what those sailings will actually look like once they resume. It’s just all hard. When is your cruise in 2021 and what itinerary?

I understand and especially for your first Disney Cruise I know you want the full experience...I think the unknown is just so very hard. I know time will tell with a lot of this and maybe some of the precautions they put into place at first will be done away with over time...it’s just so hard to plan a cruise right now without even A. knowing when they’ll sail again and B. what those sailings will actually look like once they resume. It’s just all hard. When is your cruise in 2021 and what itinerary?

We're on the Wonder, sailing out of San Diego on April 26. Two days at sea, one day in Cabo San Lucas.

I’m worried about a second wave in the fall/winter where we have to go through this all over again

Hopefully by then we've learned that you cannot lock yourself in your homes to avoid it. It reminds me of the cartoons where an ostrich puts his head in the sand to avoid danger. If people want to lock themselves at home, good for them, just don't inflict that belief system on the rest of us. I also hope there will be some constitutional issues that have made their way through the courts and that the decision makers will not be able to do this to us again the next time around.

We just booked a July 2021 cruise for after a Disney World stay. I'm...hopeful. I realize everything is still uncertain, and if things are not comfortable by the time of final payment, we'll move it to a later date, but it is fun to have something to look forward to since our vacation plans this year were scuttled. Even if it doesn't happen as planned, I will have months of looking forward to it, and that's something. If we have to move it because of health concerns or because it wouldn't be a worthwhile experience, I'm okay with that, but we are platinum, so it isn't like this is our first time and it is a 3 night cruise, not a big dream vacation type thing. I think that would be harder to deal with as far as the uncertainty goes. Best of luck to everyone!

We just booked a July 2021 cruise for after a Disney World stay. I'm...hopeful. I realize everything is still uncertain, and if things are not comfortable by the time of final payment, we'll move it to a later date, but it is fun to have something to look forward to since our vacation plans this year were scuttled. Even if it doesn't happen as planned, I will have months of looking forward to it, and that's something. If we have to move it because of health concerns or because it wouldn't be a worthwhile experience, I'm okay with that, but we are platinum, so it isn't like this is our first time and it is a 3 night cruise, not a big dream vacation type thing. I think that would be harder to deal with as far as the uncertainty goes. Best of luck to everyone!
I like your attitude and need to try and feel hopeful about our cruise...I’m with you if it isn’t looking good closer to final payment in February we will either cancel or move it to a later cruise. I think it’s bc this is such a dream itinerary for me that I’m already holding on so tight to it and want to do it SO bad...I think the disappointment will be crushing if we have to cancel but I need to just try and remain hopeful and positive. A lot can happen in a year and I pray that everyone and everything gets back on their feet and that 2021 is a hell of a lot better than 2020 has turned out to be

We are on the same itinerary earlier in June 2021, and also have a cruise booked earlier in March (this is rare for us, but we already had March booked when we moved this year's Italy/Greece cruise to next year).

I am feeling like March is more questionable (given is still falls in respiratory illness season), but I am pretty confident about the June sailing.

Nobody has any idea how this will play out over the next year. We could get really lucky and it could go the way of SARS 1 (unlikely, given how this virus has spread compared to that virus), or one of the fast-tracked vaccines could be available (more likely, but still questionable). I have zero doubt that treatment protocols will be greatly improved (it appears we are already making progress here), reducing the risk of death, and it is possible a break-through treatment will work, which would be even better. If none of those happen, I think we will see this become more like how we respond to the flu. It may hit earlier in the year then it did this year and fizzle by June (based on a few articles I have read). And, we will start to put the risk in perspective better, just like we do with the other risks. People will realize that the risk of death to those under 65, without certain serious health conditions, is slightly worse, the same, or better than the flu. There is zero doubt the risk to children is less than the flu already. And the risk of death should decrease even more as some level of immunity begins to take hold in communities (which is likely based on one recent study I read). Eventually the media (and certain experts enjoying the new spotlight) will stop feeding the fear frenzy and move to the "how do we live with it" phase.

With that knowledge, the world will have no choice but to protect the vulnerable and move on the best we can. Those who are healthy and want to take a slight risk, as they do with so many other things in life, will do so. Even the non-healthy may choose to live life to the fullest and take the risk (as many do with other respiratory illnesses each year). This will become part of life, and I don't expect the extreme safety measures to last for years on end. People and companies will become complacent and things will return to closer to the norm (hopefully without people licking sauce off their fingers at the buffets!).

I remain optimistic that what we are living in now is not the new norm, despite the media headlines. In fact, in my local community, you would no longer know a pandemic is happening. Whether that results in a spike or not, I don't see people going back to complete isolation.

Slowly getting back to normal matches the original opinion of the experts, who said we would never reduce the number of people who eventually get it, only that we would avoid overwhelming the hospitals, which we have done (maybe to a fault).

Please know that I am not attempting to minimize the loss of so many lives in such a short period. Instead, I hope for the very best case scenarios and know that, in any case, humanity will have no choice but to carry on soon.

Last edited:
We are on the same itinerary earlier in June 2021, and also have a cruise booked earlier in March (this is rare for us, but we already had March booked when we moved this year's Italy/Greece cruise to next year).

I am feeling like March is more questionable (given is still falls in respiratory illness season), but I am pretty confident about the June sailing.

Nobody has any idea how this will play out over the next year. We could get really lucky and it could go the way of SARS 1 (unlikely, given how this virus has spread compared to that virus), or one of the fast-tracked vaccines could be available (more likely, but still questionable). I have zero doubt that treatment protocols will be greatly improved (it appears we are already making progress here), reducing the risk of death, and it is possible a break-through treatment will work, which would be even better. If none of those happen, I think we will see this become more like how we respond to the flu. It may hit earlier in the year then it did this year and fizzle by June (based on a few articles I have read). And, we will start to put the risk in perspective better, just like we do with the other risks. People will realize that the risk of death to those under 65, without certain serious health conditions, is slightly worse, the same, or better than the flu. There is zero doubt the risk to children is less than the flu already. And the risk of death should decrease even more as some level of immunity begins to take hold in communities (which is likely based on one recent study I read). Eventually the Media (and certain experts enjoying the new spotlight) will stop feeding the fear frenzy and move to the "how do we live with it" phase.

With that knowledge, the world will have no choice but to protect the vulnerable and move on the best we can. Those who are healthy and want to take a slight risk, as they do with so many other things in life, will do so. Even the non-healthy may choose to live life to the fullest and take the risk (as many do with other respiratory illnesses each year). This will become part of life, and I don't expect the extreme safety measures to last for years on end. People and companies will become complacent and things will return to closer to the norm (hopefully without people licking sauce off their fingers at the buffets!).

I remain optimistic that what we are living in now is not the new norm, despite the media headlines. In fact, in my local community, you would no longer know a pandemic is happening. Whether that results in a spike or not, I don't see people going back to complete isolation.

Slowly getting back to normal matches the original opinion of the experts, who said we would never reduce the number of people who eventually get it, only that we would avoid overwhelming the hospitals, which we have done (maybe to a fault).

Please know that I am not attempting to minimize the loss of so many lives in such a short period. Instead, I hope for the very best case scenarios and know that, in any case, humanity will have no choice but to carry on soon.
Thank you for this well worded and uplifting response...I honestly needed to read this today. I have been truly struggling with the idea that this will be our “new normal” as some are saying and I just can’t imagine living like this for much longer! I agree we are going to have to somehow learn to exist with this virus...I’m hopeful for a vaccine and/or treatment as well and also some herd immunity as more catch it and recover. Definitely not minimizing the seriousness of this virus either but just so incredibly ready (as I know so many are) for life to start moving back towards normal.

We booked a cruise for the middle of next April. My fingers are crossed that it is far enough out from cold/flu/Covid season next year. Were originally planning the same cruise in June, but when prices were released we decided to do the same cruise in the same stateroom for $6000 less!

We are so looking forward to this. We had a lot of travel planned this year since next year my son is a senior. Trying to get in those last family memories. We did go on the WBPC cruise with one day cut short. Disneyland closed and we did not get to spend five days there after the cruise. We just had to cancel two weeks in Mexico in June because they will not be opening until July. Canceling plans to visit DL in Sept for the Halloween party. No info on if they are even having it. Trying to get two weeks in Hawaii in October. Fingers crossed for something to look forward to and some rest and relaxation!

Aww, what a bummer that this is happening for your first cruise. The anticipation and planning is part of the fun, but no fun when you don’t even know if the cruise is going to happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter