For those sailing in 2021...how are you feeling?

We rebooked for April 2021, but I have low confidence we'll actually be able to go. We have insurance, but if I had to bet, we'll probably cancel around New Years. I am very hopeful that science will have something to offer us for this, but that's all it is: hope. Never give up hope.

So... we were booked for this year's Italy/Greece cruise. Truly heartbreaking not being able to go. All the planning and dreaming... Taken down by a pandemic-who would have thought. But... we are safe and well. Before our cruise canceled I put a deposit on next year's 8 night Italy/Greece. Will we get to go? I hope so. I hope we are healthy and employed. The world is stabile enough for us to make the trip. Do I have that utter sense of excitment that I normally do? Not so much. It is still far away, a lot can happen both negative and positive. Towards the end of this year we will see where everything is at, with us and the world. If it looks good, I will book flights, PIF, get hotels and the like. Let the anticipation build. But I will not feel like I am truly going until they announce our family name as we board. Only then will it all sink in.

There was an article in the Miami Herald a few days ago that talked about the thousands of employees still trapped on the ships and unable to go home for various reasons. Many said they would not return to cruising considering how they have been treated during the pandemic. Disney had two ships sail to England this week hoping to let them off so they could fly from London, but that was also unsuccessful for many. Some countries won’t let their people fly home. Most employees have been unpaid in March.

It has been a disaster for many employees on the ships. If the ships do sail again and can find people to work on them, make sure to tip well. Some have suffered so much during this pandemic and by putting themselves at risk again, they deserve to be rewarded for their efforts.

We are booked on the Magic/Med June 2020
trying to keep a cheerfully optimistic attitude.
planning excursions brings me joy. Will keep praying for a healthier world. At the moment I feel it’s a 50-50 chance that we make it. looking forward to hearing our family name called as we step on board.

We are ready to sail! Our May cruise was cancelled, so we moved the booking to May of 2021. We cancelled our September cruises on the dream before PIF so we didn’t have to wait for disney to cancel them. We will book them back if it is safe to sail - we are more than ready to take the chance.

We are booked on the Feb 2021 WBPC sailing, #23 for us. We have been wanting to do this cruise for years but never could due to our kids' school schedules. We got a great rate with OBB that still includes OBCs and really don't want to cancel. Our FPDD is Oct 29. There is a lot of uncertainty and a lot can change between now and then. Ds20 has always wanted to sail this itinerary; the fact that he's 20 and willing to spend 16+ nights with his parents speaks volumes. :laughing:

First I am hopeful that DCL adjusts their final payment/cancellation policy like they recently did in March. I keep thinking it would be my luck that we cancel Oct 29 and in November, a vaccine is approved. I don't mind paying in full 4 months prior to sail date but it's hard to make that commitment that far in advance. I don't know what timeframe would be fair for both parties but I think 1-2 weeks prior would be more reasonable than 4 months. I didn't buy cancel for any reason insurance and it probably would be cost prohibitive to try to buy it now. I don't know that it's even worth buying now if I end up cancelling anyway. That would just be throwing $ down the drain. I'm not even sure how low the new case rates would have to go before I'd feel comfortable without a vaccine. If it were a 3-4 nt quickie I wouldn't worry as much. A 14 nt sailing is a long time and a lot can change during the cruise itself which only adds to the uncertainty.

Last night I looked into enrolling into a clinical trial for a COVID vaccine just to be able to stop worrying about catching it or spreading it. Unfortunately, I'm not as healthy as I feel. One of my allergy medicines and having high blood pressure both disqualify me. I work in healthcare and dh is essential so we would both be in the "sooner" tier for receiving a vaccine but again, if I am forced to commit in October and there's no vaccine yet, I will probably cancel. I'd like to think things will be more normal by then but being hopeful and predicting the future are 2 different things.
Wearing a mask is not a big deal to me but if they're going to cancel shows or close a lot of amenities, it wouldn't be worth it. If they are willing to sail at 50% capacity I might change my mind. Considering that our cruise is sold out I don't see that happening.

I am holding onto hope and don't plan on cancelling until the latest date possible that DCL would require commitment with no refund.

Last edited:
We were supposed to leave Monday for Alaska...moved it to next May with the FCC, have a large OBC now...but we are probably going to cancel it soon and just take the refund...I am still a little worried that the cruise industry will be so banged up from this that getting refunds in the future may become and issue.

We had 3 DCL cruises booked for 2020 (it was our year of the cruise). We had one cancelled so far and moved the other two. We are now rebooked in 2021 to sail: 3/37 Western, 9/27 Western and already had an 8/1 Alaska booked on another line. I don't feel great about March. I would expect by August there will be a vaccine.

There are so many factors involved, it's impossible to really know. Will the ports where we plan to sail be open? Some may have new outbreaks or not be ready to welcome visitors. Some states in the US may be harder hit if a second wave comes. How will cruise lines handle that? Some employers may require 14-day quarantines upon returning from a cruise. We know we have to stay flexible and open minded....but after losing 3 vacations this year and at least some of our summer at the shore (we live in NJ), it's hard not to feel disappointed sometimes.

Some employers may require 14-day quarantines upon returning from a cruise.
Just making the small point that employers cannot require employees to go into quarantine. They might be able to require employees to stay away from the workplace for 14 days after returning from a cruise, but that isn't the same as the employees being required to quarantine at their homes. Only an individual's own doctor or the government can order that.

The question is will we know in October, when the PIF is for the cruise, whether it will be safe to travel in March?

They've adjusted the PIF dates so I am assuming if things are still in a "will they/won't they" you will see those PIF dates much closer to actual sailing.

We are booked on the Feb 2021 WBPC sailing, #23 for us.

I was looking at the Panama Canal cruises and the only one for sale at the moment is for November 2020, do you know or can you guess why the February 2021 cruise is not for sale (anymore)?

I was looking at the Panama Canal cruises and the only one for sale at the moment is for November 2020, do you know or can you guess why the February 2021 cruise is not for sale (anymore)?
A poster on another thread said that the 2021 WBPC was sold out. Maybe that's why it isn't on the website.

They've adjusted the PIF dates so I am assuming if things are still in a "will they/won't they" you will see those PIF dates much closer to actual sailing.
But have they adjusted it for future sailings? I think my March 2021 sailing still as an end of Oct PIF.

But have they adjusted it for future sailings? I think my March 2021 sailing still as an end of Oct PIF.

Not yet, but they adjusted them later as time went on this spring. I was supposed to be on the 7/25 Fantasy and it was adjusted to 30 days out (if I remember correctly.) I'm currently booked on the 12/19 Fantasy and the PIF is still end of August, but I anticipate it changing if the ships still aren't sailing. The only thing is that you have to be PIF in order to book onboard activities, etc., on your CC day.

Not yet, but they adjusted them later as time went on this spring. I was supposed to be on the 7/25 Fantasy and it was adjusted to 30 days out (if I remember correctly.) I'm currently booked on the 12/19 Fantasy and the PIF is still end of August, but I anticipate it changing if the ships still aren't sailing. The only thing is that you have to be PIF in order to book onboard activities, etc., on your CC day.
That's a good point. Come Sept, if they still aren't sailing or sailing fully, they might still be moving the PIFs so people don't just cancel all at once again.

I dont even mind if they keep the same PIF date but they need to change the cancellation penalties and the related timelines for when you start losing money. Many people, including myself, will not want to feel the need to start calculating risk, odds, and commitment 4 months before sailing. If I’m forced to make a decision that far in advance, the only one I could choose is to cancel and get our deposit refunded.

This would especially hit them hard for port-intensive cruises that take a great deal of planning in advance such as Europe and Alaska.
For a 3-4 nighter to Bahamas, I can pack some shorts, tops and bathing suit & flip flops in an hour and be ready to roll. Been there done that and still had a great time. Booked on a Tuesday night, flew Thursday, sailed Friday. :cloud9:

Last edited:
I dont even mind if they keep the same PIF date but they need to change the cancellation penalties and the related timelines for when you start losing money. Many people, including myself, will not want to feel the need to start calculating risk, odds, and commitment 4 months before sailing. If I’m forced to make a decision that far in advance, the only one I could choose is to cancel and get our deposit refunded.

This would especially hit them hard for port-intensive cruises that take a great deal of planning in advance such as Europe and Alaska.
For a 3-4 nighter to Bahamas, I can pack some shorts, tops and bathing suit & flip flops in an hour and be ready to roll. Been there done that and still had a great time. Booked on a Tuesday night, flew Thursday, sailed Friday. :cloud9:
I agree. Right now, I can’t see myself keeping that sailing date, but in a few months, maybe things will look different. What I do know, is that Oct. is too early to tell what sailing in Mar will be like. I don’t want to lose my money, but I don’t want to cancel until I know more, either.

I agree. Right now, I can’t see myself keeping that sailing date, but in a few months, maybe things will look different. What I do know, is that Oct. is too early to tell what sailing in Mar will be like. I don’t want to lose my money, but I don’t want to cancel until I know more, either.
I’m feeling the same for us...our PIF date is at the end of February for a sailing in the middle of June. Obviously so much can happen in that timeframe...I’m not really sure what I’ll end up doing. Just going to get closer to PIF and see what the status of the world is then and then make a decision I guess. I really do hope Disney does move PIF dates back closer to sailing dates

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter