For those sailing in 2021...how are you feeling?

I feel relieved and actually back in the happy cruise planning frame of mind again. After all the stress of the last few months and the uncertainty and then finally my September European cruise being cancelled, I can now happily report that Dreams Unlimited have now rebooked me on a September 2021 cruise, and they even managed to get me the same stateroom as my cancelled cruise. Thanks to Disney's 125% FCC I am now rebooked on a longer more expensive cruise and I have about $200 left over which will be transferred to onboard credit. So now I need to decide what merchandise I want and should I buy a bigger suitcase. :Pinkbounc

The other cruise lines have to get back to sailing late summer/early fall or they will go out of business. They do not have the other revenue streams that Disney has, so they cannot just park their ships for 6 months............................

There's also MSC, first a shipping company being the second largest container shipper in the World with 566 ships and 16% of market share and then a cruising company with 19 ships with their Yacht Club Level exceeding Concierge at a lower price point..

I was on the Dream September 21, 2020. I canceled last week before my PIF date as a silver and move to Dream September 20, 2021. Got to even keep my favorite cabin! I believe they will have a therapy or vaccine by then. Studies take time for safety and efficiency, but new AI technology and genetic breakdown technology has come a long way. Since the drug companies are doing phase 2 and 3 and manufacturing at the same time it will really cut down on the time for a vaccine or therapy. To add a cherry on top, I booked an adventured by disney for fall 2021 too.

I feel a little optimistic for our august 2021 rebook of the baltic 8 night. I am a little wary of the April 2021. That one is a suite which makes things a little more difficult- it cant be cancelled - only moved. November i think is the PIF date and I am not sure we will know what is what then....

I feel a little optimistic for our august 2021 rebook of the baltic 8 night. I am a little wary of the April 2021. That one is a suite which makes things a little more difficult- it cant be cancelled - only moved. November i think is the PIF date and I am not sure we will know what is what then....
Early December is my PIF for my April 2021 cruise. If we don’t know what the deal is by then, I plan on cancelling. It’s a lot of money to have tied up. I’m just waiting for Disney to release 2021 bookings because I plan on booking a backup trip at WDW

Early December is my PIF for my April 2021 cruise. If we don’t know what the deal is by then, I plan on cancelling. It’s a lot of money to have tied up. I’m just waiting for Disney to release 2021 bookings because I plan on booking a backup trip at WDW

our April 24th Cruise PIF date is also December and we won’t be paying if we don’t know any guidelines.

We are on the same itinerary earlier in June 2021, and also have a cruise booked earlier in March (this is rare for us, but we already had March booked when we moved this year's Italy/Greece cruise to next year).

I am feeling like March is more questionable (given is still falls in respiratory illness season), but I am pretty confident about the June sailing.

Nobody has any idea how this will play out over the next year. We could get really lucky and it could go the way of SARS 1 (unlikely, given how this virus has spread compared to that virus), or one of the fast-tracked vaccines could be available (more likely, but still questionable). I have zero doubt that treatment protocols will be greatly improved (it appears we are already making progress here), reducing the risk of death, and it is possible a break-through treatment will work, which would be even better. If none of those happen, I think we will see this become more like how we respond to the flu. It may hit earlier in the year then it did this year and fizzle by June (based on a few articles I have read). And, we will start to put the risk in perspective better, just like we do with the other risks. People will realize that the risk of death to those under 65, without certain serious health conditions, is slightly worse, the same, or better than the flu. There is zero doubt the risk to children is less than the flu already. And the risk of death should decrease even more as some level of immunity begins to take hold in communities (which is likely based on one recent study I read). Eventually the media (and certain experts enjoying the new spotlight) will stop feeding the fear frenzy and move to the "how do we live with it" phase.

With that knowledge, the world will have no choice but to protect the vulnerable and move on the best we can. Those who are healthy and want to take a slight risk, as they do with so many other things in life, will do so. Even the non-healthy may choose to live life to the fullest and take the risk (as many do with other respiratory illnesses each year). This will become part of life, and I don't expect the extreme safety measures to last for years on end. People and companies will become complacent and things will return to closer to the norm (hopefully without people licking sauce off their fingers at the buffets!).

I remain optimistic that what we are living in now is not the new norm, despite the media headlines. In fact, in my local community, you would no longer know a pandemic is happening. Whether that results in a spike or not, I don't see people going back to complete isolation.

Slowly getting back to normal matches the original opinion of the experts, who said we would never reduce the number of people who eventually get it, only that we would avoid overwhelming the hospitals, which we have done (maybe to a fault).

Please know that I am not attempting to minimize the loss of so many lives in such a short period. Instead, I hope for the very best case scenarios and know that, in any case, humanity will have no choice but to carry on soon.
Very well stated. Thank you. I have been saying this for a long time. Eventually we will have to manage this like we do all other viruses. I like you certainly don't mean to minimize the loss of human life and my heart reaches out to everyone of them. But we cannot stay locked down forever. Eventually we must return to normal . As we see lock downs eased the number of cases are going up. This is what is expected and actually means we are developing antibodies. I really believe we are on the downside of this thing. This does not mean it will go away it just means it is another virus we will have to deal with like we do the flu. If the media would just report the truth, we could put this whole mess behind us. I am sure I will be attacked for saying this again. Last time I responded like this, one lady commented..."how many people have to die to make you happpy" ?

God willing we are suppose to set sail one year from today for the 11 night Italy/Greece cruise, I won't get excited until I see things improving.
After missing our Transatlantic cruise in May, I wonder if I will ever be able to step onboard again. :sad2:

God willing we are suppose to set sail one year from today for the 11 night Italy/Greece cruise, I won't get excited until I see things improving.
After missing our Transatlantic cruise in May, I wonder if I will ever be able to step onboard again. :sad2:

We sail around the same time from PC... a b2b cruise that we really hope sails.
Some days I feel like you: in that I have serious doubts DCL will ever cruise again given the situation with CV.
On other days I feel really optimistic like @speicher46
I'd rather try to stay upbeat and think everything will be back to normal in a few months.

We sail around the same time from PC... a b2b cruise that we really hope sails.
Some days I feel like you: in that I have serious doubts DCL will ever cruise again given the situation with CV.
On other days I feel really optimistic like @speicher46
I'd rather try to stay upbeat and think everything will be back to normal in a few months.
I don’t think that DCL will be gone for good - but I do think that cruising will be one of the last things back.

I kind of just want to wake up and have this all be over.

LOL those are literally my DD's words: that this is a bad dream & we'll wake up one day & it'll be gone.
I wish it was true.

Realistically though, I also don't think DCL will be gone for good, but sadly, I don't think it'll be back in 2021
I put 2022 as the year when things will get back to normal. Other cruise lines might sail in 2021 but there's no way DCL will with mandatory masks and a social distancing that is virtually impossible in a floating can.
DCL will start sailing again when social distancing isn't necessary anymore.

We had a March cruise booked (rescheduled from December) that I was really excited about. Great concierge cabin, planned to rent a cabana on Castaway Cay, etc. But as time passed it became clear that these extreme precautions will not dissipate by March, and I'm not paying over $1,000 per night to wear masks & otherwise have a significantly compromised experience onboard. I changed our cruise to this October on the Wonder, which I know has no chance of sailing. So now I just have to wait for DCL to cancel so I can get my refund (including the typically nonrefundable concierge deposit). I'm not giving DCL any more loans until they get it together.

I'm done sailing the Castaway Cay cruises until cruising will once again be a carefree experience. That was the whole point of those cruises to me: to get away from it all. We're going to WDW instead, and I accept the precautions there because it's more reasonably priced and a more activity-based experience than a Bahamian cruise, which to me is about relaxation and being pampered.

The only cruise I could see myself accepting a limited onboard experience for would be a northern European that included St. Petersburg, where I've always wanted to go. No chance of that for me until 2022, though. I so hope that by '22, this nightmare will be over.

I'm starting to feel nervous about 2021 cruises. :(

Me too. I was ok with our March 2020 cruise being cancelled. We were already booked for the WBPC sailing in Feb 2021 since last year. Back in March we figured that at least we'd still get to do our PC cruise. It seemed so far away that surely the world would return to normal by then. Now that doesn't seem so far away (8 months!) and even though vaccines appear to be not very far away, still I can't help but feel so much uncertainty. I was so undecided what to do for a long time; I considered taking the $ I saved for the cruise and putting it down toward our mortgage. I recently read about DCL letting people change their date up to 2 weeks before sailing but still no refund. If we follow that logic, then I will have to stress out about DCL holding onto a good chunk of our $ for potentially a long time and worry about when we can finally sail again or if we'd ever get our $ back.

Our PIF date is Oct 29. If there is no definite, approved vaccine by then, I will be cancelling for a refund. The PIF date is a good 4 months before our sail date and a lot can happen in 4 months. I can't risk that much $. If it were a 3-night quickie, I'd be more inclined to keep our res until the last minute.

For those that keep mentioning a vaccine here's a couple things to consider. Even with a vaccine there will still be people that get the virus. Also, when/if a vaccine becomes available it will not be available to everyone. They will most likely start with first responders and healthcare workers so it will take some time

For those that keep mentioning a vaccine here's a couple things to consider. Even with a vaccine there will still be people that get the virus. Also, when/if a vaccine becomes available it will not be available to everyone. They will most likely start with first responders and healthcare workers so it will take some time
Or there may never be a vaccine.

I just don’t want to be the first cruise out. If you asked me back in March, I would have thought that cruises would be running right now. Crazy that there is no real start date for them yet. I’m feeling less and less optimistic about it now

Not to mention that people will refuse to get the vaccine.

Not to mention that people will refuse to get the vaccine.

Yes true but I wouldn’t refuse. I work in healthcare and dh is essential so we could possibly be in the first wave of recipients. It won’t bring life back to normal but if even half of Americans get the vaccine, it would lower the risk of spread drastically.
When there’s a measles outbreak I dont have to worry about myself or my family.
We all are up to date on our vaccines.

Moderna is beginning Phase 3 clinical trials. Of the 3 original doses, they have narrowed it down to the one dose that produces the most antibodies.
Right now it’s a question of how long the immunity lasts. If it’s a matter of needing it every year, like dogs get an annual rabies vaccine, I’ll gladly take that too. Anything to put this misery behind us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter