For those sailing in 2021...how are you feeling?

I think that while we don't know when a effective vaccine will become available, I'm pretty confident if they discover one that proves effective and without serious side effects, that the manufacturers will start mass producing it on a scale that will provide it to as many that want it as possible. Granted political pressures and controls aside, it should hopefully get to those that need it first (medical and first responders) but the general population soon after. My only fear is that it will end up being too costly for many to obtain it. just hope that there's some kind of worldwide push to get to everyone so it can stop the spread. People are desperate to get things back to normal as much as they can, a vaccine can offer that, as long as it's a reasonable and freely available offering for the citizens of every country.

I think that while we don't know when a effective vaccine will become available, I'm pretty confident if they discover one that proves effective and without serious side effects, that the manufacturers will start mass producing it on a scale that will provide it to as many that want it as possible. Granted political pressures and controls aside, it should hopefully get to those that need it first (medical and first responders) but the general population soon after. My only fear is that it will end up being too costly for many to obtain it. just hope that there's some kind of worldwide push to get to everyone so it can stop the spread. People are desperate to get things back to normal as much as they can, a vaccine can offer that, as long as it's a reasonable and freely available offering for the citizens of every country.

Some things are being done already and have been in the works for months:

For many of the major vaccine candidates, mass manufacturing is already being done or is being prepared so that is is ocurring in parallel with the clinical trials instead of after like normal. That way, IF the vaccine succeeds, there will already be hundreds of millions or more doses ready to go. Governments and NGOs around the world are pumping hundreds of millions [totalling billions] of dollars into this effort. Obviously not all the vaccine candidates will be successful, so some of this effort will end up being $ spent with no return, but the risk is deemed worthwhile. There are numerous media stories about this issue.

Many of the major commercial vaccine manufacturers that are partners in producing the vaccine candiates have publically announced that their vaccine will be available *at cost* at least during the pandemic period. In some cases this is a requirement of the university or government or government funding partnership they are in, in other cases it isn't clear if it is a partnership requirement or a voluntary decision. These statements are also well-publicized in media.

As for cost, here in Canada, as I suspect in most countries with universal healthcare, the cost will be free to the public and borne by the government who will bulk purchase, as for example the H1N1 pandemic vaccine was. For H1N1, the vaccine was supplied by higher levels of government to local public health units who set up mass vaccination clinics in public buildings (think schools, city halls, ice rinks, community centres, etc); eventually they were also available through family physician offices. There are already reports of governments and manufacturers looking at getting ready now to have enough supplies for eventual vaccinations -- syringes, etc that will be needed in however many months.

The implications for cruising are that if there is a successful vaccine(s) they will be available earlier than they would be under conventional vaccine production order timelines, which will hopefully help cruising get back to more normal operations [understanding it will still take some time after a vaccine].

For our family, at this point in time, we have a late summer 2021 Alaska cruise booked, but don't feel comfortable actually sailing it without a vaccine. Its over a year away so things may change of course.

SW

I'm really concerned with our trip (rescheduled to April 2021). I don't know if it's cancelled how we'd be able to reschedule again. My issue is this trip was with my mom and adult children.....it was hard enough to reschedule for April 2021. I don't know if we can reschedule a third time. My kids are all in very different careers, with different times to be off.
Disney did not allow us to use the "credit" from our previous cruise for just dh and myself....we'd lose all the monies paid out for the rest and couldn't apply it to booking a longer or more expensive cruise.
And if it's cancelled again, would we finally get our money back? I wish we could apply it to another Disney vacation.....like Disneyland, Aulani or a Adventures By Disney.

I'm really concerned with our trip (rescheduled to April 2021). I don't know if it's cancelled how we'd be able to reschedule again. My issue is this trip was with my mom and adult children.....it was hard enough to reschedule for April 2021.

I agree. I've rescheduled a trip to South Africa to visit friends twice (now planned for the end of March 2021) and we have Alaska in May with my husband's family. The cruise I was supposed to take with my dad this September has not been rescheduled...and I'm not going to do it until there are new itineraries. I am losing all confidence in what the early part of 2021 is going to look like... and with all the different schedules of everyone, it is very difficult on top of everything else. 😕

My only fear is that it will end up being too costly for many to obtain it.
As for cost, here in Canada, as I suspect in most countries with universal healthcare, the cost will be free to the public and borne by the government who will bulk purchase
These are both very real concerns for cruising out of the US. In addition, anti vaccination rates in the US have continued to grow in recent years. My recent worry has begun to center around US citizens not being welcome in other countries due to increased risk of being carriers.

These are both very real concerns for cruising out of the US. In addition, anti vaccination rates in the US have continued to grow in recent years. My recent worry has begun to center around US citizens not being welcome in other countries due to increased risk of being carriers.
At the rate that Covid is increasing, I wonder the same thing about being allowed back into other countries and am very concerned if we will be allowed back into Europe next summer. My thought is that it only may happen if those traveling can show proof of vaccine. And that is still a big if until we know we have a proven vaccine. But, I am an optimist and will continue planning for our June European cruise and hope for the best!!

We have March 27th Western booked (from our cancelled June Southern) and I don't see how we will be ready to sail in any normal fashion by then. As soon as the next batch of sailings open up, I expect we will move to a later date. We also have an August 1, 2021 Celebrity Cruise to Alaska and a September 25, 2021 Western on DCL booked. I'm hoping both of those can sail as planned. 2020 was supposed to our "year of the cruise"...now I wonder if 2021 will even happen. Both of my DCL cruises in 2021 are booked with moved concierge deposits, so I will lose the money if I outright cancel. Need to keep kicking the can until we can sail and are comfortable doing so.

FWIW, my travel agent told me today that the Dream is boarding new crew. Could be that they’re replacing “essential” crew, could mean something more. Her source is a Dream crew member. I’m still not optimistic for my November sailing (and not sure I’ll want to fly to FL in any event), but that was her update today.

I am hopeful praying that it will be safe enough to take a cruise between May and August 2021, on either Disney or Royal Caribbean. I'm keeping my eye on prices

I just saw this on my news feed. The CEO of Carnival spoke about not sailing at full capacity until 2022...

The bigger news in that article to me is that they'll be losing 13 ships. Originally it was 6 and now they're up to 13. When you look at the amount of debt they're taking on and the daily amount of cash their burning through, if they don't get back to cruising soon, they're going to be losing more. Seems like the number of ships they'll be losing keeps increasing as this single industry shutdown continues.

FWIW, my travel agent told me today that the Dream is boarding new crew. Could be that they’re replacing “essential” crew, could mean something more. Her source is a Dream crew member. I’m still not optimistic for my November sailing (and not sure I’ll want to fly to FL in any event), but that was her update today.

Normally I would say it's just swapping out essential crew but since I have an upcoming Dream cruise, I'm going to go with it meaning something more. Release the cruise ships!!

The bigger news in that article to me is that they'll be losing 13 ships. Originally it was 6 and now they're up to 13. When you look at the amount of debt they're taking on and the daily amount of cash their burning through, if they don't get back to cruising soon, they're going to be losing more. Seems like the number of ships they'll be losing keeps increasing as this single industry shutdown continues.

Carnival has a lot of older ships in a class called the Fantasy (a little ironic lol). They were built in the early 90s. Some have very few balconies, and they even had to create balconies on them a few years ago. Anyway, I think the fact that they were planning on having some of them scrapped anyway without COVID makes the decision easier.

Carnival has a lot of older ships in a class called the Fantasy (a little ironic lol). They were built in the early 90s. Some have very few balconies, and they even had to create balconies on them a few years ago. Anyway, I think the fact that they were planning on having some of them scrapped anyway without COVID makes the decision easier.

I saw that too. The Carnival Fantasy itself was already sold earlier in the year leaving only 7 Fantasy class ships left. I think this was going to be their original 6 they announced they were going to get rid of after the pandemic shutdown. Now with their most recent presser they moved up to 13 ships they're having part with, well beyond Fantasy class. They're doing the right publicity by playing it off like they were going to get rid of them anyway but nobody sheds half their fleet unless they're in trouble. Now what I'm not clear on is if they are selling 13 of their 26 Carnival Cruiseline ships or are the 13 coming from the several other cruise lines under the Carnival Corp fleet like P&O or Costa for example. Carnival Cruiseline has approx 26 ships while Carnival Corp has over 100, so not sure if the 13 being cut are cruiseline or cruise corp. I'm leaning toward cruiseline since the article was quoting the Carnival Cruiseline CEO and not the Carnival Corp CEO. So 13 ships sold would be half their Carnival Cruiseline fleet.

Last edited:
I saw that too. The Carnival Fantasy itself was already sold earlier in the year leaving only 7 Fantasy class ships left. I think this was going to be their original 6 they announced they were going to get rid of after the pandemic shutdown. Now with their most recent presser they moved up to 13 ships they're having part with, well beyond Fantasy class. They're doing the right publicity by playing it off like they were going to get rid of them anyway but nobody sheds half their fleet unless they're in trouble. Now what I'm not clear on is if they are selling 13 of their 26 Carnival Cruiseline ships or are the 13 coming from the several other cruise lines under the Carnival Corp fleet like P&O or Costa for example. Carnival Cruiseline has approx 26 ships while Carnival Corp has over 100, so not sure if the 13 being cut are cruiseline or cruise corp.

If I had to guess, it will be more than just Carnival Cruise Line, including the other lines that are under the Carnival corporate umbrella

If I had to guess, it will be more than just Carnival Cruise Line, including the other lines that are under the Carnival corporate umbrella

Ok, the 2nd article posted above by kaseyC makes it more clear. Thanks kaseyC

I booked us on the 8 night Greek isles out of Rome June 19, 2021...while I’m super excited for this cruise I’m also very worried and wondering if I should even get my hopes up. I’m worried about a second wave in the fall/winter where we have to go through this all over again and our cruise gets canceled. I’m worried about what cruises will actually be like also. This will be our 4th Disney Cruise and we LOVE the shows. Will there even be shows since it’s so many people in one room? Will masks be required? Will we be able to meet characters and take pictures with them? I know no one knows the answers to these questions but it’s just constantly on my mind. I just can’t seem to get excited and really look forward to this bc I’m so worried about the what if’s. It almost makes me think about just canceling and rebooking for Europe 2022 when they become available.

If you‘re booked in 2021 how are you feeling about your cruise?
We are considering booking the same cruise! But I feel your pain. While I would love to be optimistic or even able to roll with the punches, I know if my bubble gets burst, it will not be easy for me. First world problems, I know but it's true. Right now, I think we will hold off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter