For those that rent cars, does the new increase in parking change that??

I started going to WDW in '99. My dd was 5 at the time. I could never wrap my head around renting a car while at WDW. Transportation was easy and worked well. Then, dd moved to the area and started working for Disney, in '16. I found myself renting a car more often....I liked to visit her. With room rates going sky high, I started staying off-site, for half the cost. I was already renting a car, so I was paying that whether or not I was on-site. Then parking fees started. To add that charge to my already high room rate was nuts, for me anyway. I got nothing in return...the lots were the same, no addtl security, no addtl lighting, no improvements..just pay extra. Then, I found a condo area that I loved. Started renting one....15 mins from the parks.
I love WDW, I really do. But, if I'm not using my DVC points, I'm off-site now. I can't justify paying $145 a night to stay at Pop and add an addtl $15 to park!!! Not when I can get a three bedroom, two bathroom condo for less than $100 a night!!
Driving in that area is life defying at times, but I'm used to it now.

If I had to pay to park, thankfully we don't since we are DVC, but the amount of time is saves by taking a car to and from parks is worth the parking fee. Plus the freedom to go and buy snacks and drinks for the room and eating off property which saves money and would more than cover the parking charges

I agree. We were recently at Disney and price in total was about 2x what we can spend at various other vacation locations we enjoy just as much. Between the high cost of food/parking/park tickets/resort/etc. ..... it just isn't the value it used to be. The HUGE number of people in the parks also meant we couldn't do as many rides as in the past since the lines were so long.
Yeah, the overall cost has just exploded in the last few years. Disney seems to be aiming for the "trip of a lifetime" market, rather than repeat visitors.

Three years ago, we got an RCI exchange into OKW for a 2-bedroom and invited another family to join us. They refused to go to any Disney parks because of the cost, so we went to Universal instead. But also because of the cost, they only stayed a couple of days of the full week we had arranged.

Two years ago, we had trip arranged with two other families, staying in two 3-bedrooms at Wyndham Reunion. One of those families bailed out because of the theme park ticket prices.

All three of those families have plenty of money; they just didn't see the value compared to other options. The family from three years ago went to Europe last year and are in Japan right now.

^^ I agree. It seems that Disney is trying the 'manage' the exploding attendance figures by constantly raising prices. It is such a big draw for people from all over the world that everything seems crowded no matter when you go. We used our daily FastPasses and then none of us wanted to stand in ride lines over 60 minutes no matter what the ride. We have ZERO interest in going back and will vacation elsewhere.

The parking charge at Deluxe resorts is $25 per day. If you stay 14 nights, that parking fee alone is $350.
Yep! I have probably underestimated the savings by not having a car. I left my Garmin Sat Nav in a hire car in France last week so if we hire a care we will need to buy another Garmin and then we would update that with lifetime maps so that would be additional costs. I know that people do manage without Sat Nav's by using their phones but if I hire a car, I will buy another Garmin and then I can get used to the system before using it in a car I am not used to driving. My old Garmin had lifetime map updates for both USA and Europe and I used it whenever I hired a car - almost every trip. The parking charges have me seriously looking at car hire and I reckon that had Disney Guests still had free parking at both the resorts and the parks then I would not have given the matter much thought - I would have just hired one as I usually do.

I actually have a question. Does having an annual pass offset the resprt parking fees? We've traded RCI points into the DVC resorts before and have always preferred to rent a car to make eating offsite a little easier, but I'm currently planning a group reunion and am really not sure what is better to recommend to folks. I can't be sure we'll be able to get into the DVC rooms again, and the parking fees might change what's a good deal or not for us.

I actually have a question. Does having an annual pass offset the resprt parking fees? We've traded RCI points into the DVC resorts before and have always preferred to rent a car to make eating offsite a little easier, but I'm currently planning a group reunion and am really not sure what is better to recommend to folks. I can't be sure we'll be able to get into the DVC rooms again, and the parking fees might change what's a good deal or not for us.
An annual pass gets you free theme park parking, but I don't think it gets you free resort parking. If you have a bunch of folks, just try to have one AP holder in each car to get the free parking.

As an RCI exchange, you are staying in DVC on points, but that benefit may be for members only. Hopefully a current DVC owner can give you an accurate answer.

There are a LOT of great RCI exchange options at WDW. It's a very overbuilt area, so there is quite a bit of availability. If you have a large group, I would sure look at Wyndham Reunion. All units are very large three bedrooms, and there is often availability there.

First, like everyone, I do not like the price increases, and I hated when Disney started charging for parking when their hotel prices are already inflated and we were told for years that it was because parking is free there (has not gone down since though). Despite all that, I actually rent a car will staying on site, and just figure the price into the vacation. I'll either take MDE to get to the resort, and rent from the car care center or the dolphin, or I rent from the airport and drive (when we go to universal first). The increase will probably not stop me from doing this. One reason why, is I do not like feeling "trapped" at Disney and prefer to explore around Orlando, go the the mall, make target runs, eat cheaper offsite, etc. The other reason is I don't like Disney buses. I tried it once from a resort to the park and back and said never again. It was crowded, standing room only on both rides, had to wait at least 30 mins or longer for rides (closing at MK) and just not worth the time. My next trip I will be renting a car for a few days while on site, but will use it to get to a cruise after. Because I like the "freedom" I will probably always rent a car but I may have to look at off site places as Disney prices are starting not to have the value or perks it use to have (nighttime EMH being replaced with after hour events? BOO!!!!)

Annual pass gets free parking at the parks but must still pay to park at a resort.

I have used Disney transportation and don't like it, much prefer driving. I have stayed at Disney resorts with a rental car before parking fees were added, now I mostly stay offsite at a hotel with free parking and just pay the $25 per day to park (usually only go to Disney parks 2-3 days per trip, spend more time at Universal where I have an AP.) I generally don't have a rental when staying at Universal because I can easily get everywhere I want to go there without one.

It doesn't change our plans. But we are DVC members, so no change for us.
Interesting that people are very upset with the increase in parking fees as Disney resort parking is still cheaper for parking than Universal resort parking.

For thousands of people on this forum that use a rental even if they are ONLY staying on property and not traveling around the area or other parts of the state, does the increase in fees deter you from getting a rental car or does most force you to look for off-site stays?????

The overnight parking fees at the onsite resorts have led me to do mostly offsite stays, and now if I do stay onsite, I am most likely to rent DVC points since that at least includes overnight resort parking.

(There were also other factors that led me to stay offsite more often, including: allowing pet dogs at some WDW resorts, de-theming WDW resort rooms as part of re-furbs, and the skyrocketing costs of onsite stays.) So the parking fees are among several factors that have driven me offsite for much of the time.

Thank you all for your responds. As I mentioned in the beginning, I was just more curious than anything but I have learned that (for some) the resort parking fee as changed your decision on staying on-site versus off-site. I also see that there is an additional advantage (yet small) to being a DVC member.

Thank you again.

We're still renting the car for our next trip. While we all hate the fact that we have to pay 25 dollars a day to park at the resort now, that extra 1 dollar every day is only an increase of 8 dollars overall. Personally we dislike the bus system enough and DME is torture to me (I want to drive directly to my resort without having to wait for another 100 people to get loaded in a bus), so it's still worth us to rent a car.

While we all hate the fact that we have to pay 25 dollars a day to park at the resort now, that extra 1 dollar every day is only an increase of 8 dollars overall.
True, but... That's the point of this thread. Is this increase from $192 extra for parking to $200 extra for parking in your case the tipping point that causes consumers to reevaluate?

The obvious answer is that there is no one answer. Maybe it is the straw that breaks the camel's back for some and insignificant for others.

Vacations are intensely personal times and there are an infinite number of places to go and ways to approach an individual vacation. For example, I like the freedom and convenience of driving; many, many others don't want to drive at all on vacation. And some might not believe this, but there IS a difference between a family with 3 toddlers, a family with one teenager, a young couple, and a retired couple.

That's why there are so many options, just for WDW vacations alone.
  • Onsite/Deluxe/Moderate/Value or Offsite/Partner hotels?
  • WDW only/WDW and other Orlando attractions/Orlando and other areas like Kennedy Space Center, Miami, or the Gulf Coast? And what about the Florida Keys and/or the Everglades?
  • Disney buses/own car/rental car/Uber?
  • Character dining/quick serve/Fine Disney dining/meal plan or not/offsite dining?
There are a million variations, and there is no one right answer.

True, but... That's the point of this thread. Is this increase from $192 extra for parking to $200 extra for parking in your case the tipping point that causes consumers to reevaluate?

The obvious answer is that there is no one answer. Maybe it is the straw that breaks the camel's back for some and insignificant for others.

Vacations are intensely personal times and there are an infinite number of places to go and ways to approach an individual vacation. For example, I like the freedom and convenience of driving; many, many others don't want to drive at all on vacation. And some might not believe this, but there IS a difference between a family with 3 toddlers, a family with one teenager, a young couple, and a retired couple.

That's why there are so many options, just for WDW vacations alone.
  • Onsite/Deluxe/Moderate/Value or Offsite/Partner hotels?
  • WDW only/WDW and other Orlando attractions/Orlando and other areas like Kennedy Space Center, Miami, or the Gulf Coast? And what about the Florida Keys and/or the Everglades?
  • Disney buses/own car/rental car/Uber?
  • Character dining/quick serve/Fine Disney dining/meal plan or not/offsite dining?
There are a million variations, and there is no one right answer.
You are exactly right. That is the reason I posted this questions: is it the "tipping point that causes consumers to reevalutate"? I know there is no one answer which is why I posted the question; so see what people's opinion was.

We are a family of two (2 adults) and for us, not having a car is one less thing/reservation to worry about. But again, that is our opinion.

VERY good post!!!

An annual pass gets you free theme park parking, but I don't think it gets you free resort parking. If you have a bunch of folks, just try to have one AP holder in each car to get the free parking.

As an RCI exchange, you are staying in DVC on points, but that benefit may be for members only. Hopefully a current DVC owner can give you an accurate answer.

There are a LOT of great RCI exchange options at WDW. It's a very overbuilt area, so there is quite a bit of availability. If you have a large group, I would sure look at Wyndham Reunion. All units are very large three bedrooms, and there is often availability there.

Thank you. We've been recommending each car/household has at least one annual pass already (up until now, it was cheaper than tickets after 9-10 days, not sure anymore), the car rental is due to having at lest one person in our group that is in a wheelchair. The buses are notorious for filling up the disabled seats quickly, and having extra long waits during the busier times of the day. He cannot function without the chair, and our entire group feels strongly about making sure his experience of Disney is as wonderful as the rest of ours are. A vehicle would give him freedom he wouldn't have eitherwise.

We have done the RCI to DVCpoint swap before, and found that once we're in the DVC system, we were treated like every other DVC owner in terms of perks. It was through the RCI exchange site, and I believe they have a set negotiated contract with Disney.

Thank you. We've been recommending each car/household has at least one annual pass already (up until now, it was cheaper than tickets after 9-10 days, not sure anymore), the car rental is due to having at lest one person in our group that is in a wheelchair. The buses are notorious for filling up the disabled seats quickly, and having extra long waits during the busier times of the day. He cannot function without the chair, and our entire group feels strongly about making sure his experience of Disney is as wonderful as the rest of ours are. A vehicle would give him freedom he wouldn't have eitherwise.

We have done the RCI to DVCpoint swap before, and found that once we're in the DVC system, we were treated like every other DVC owner in terms of perks. It was through the RCI exchange site, and I believe they have a set negotiated contract with Disney.

According to some posts I have read, it seems that the parking fee is waived if for those that have a handicap parking placard. So I think you would get free parking even if you weren't staying DVC.

I have historically preferred to have a car for our entire trip, but we are not doing that for our upcoming trip in a couple of weeks. We are flying in the day before our CSR stay begins, and staying at the Swan for 1 night. I will pick up a rental car at the airport so that we can make a grocery stop (I have a free day from National available anyway) and will drop it at the Dolphin once we check into the hotel. In addition to the parking fees, I haven't been able to find the rental car deals I used to, and between the two I can't justify the cost, especially on a 2 week trip. I also think that the availability of uber and lyft has made a huge difference - if we want to go off property, or avoid a long bus wait, we can get an uber, and will still save $$ as compared to renting a car. If car services weren't so easily available and inexpensive, I might be more inclined to rent a car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter