For Us, Toy Story Land Was a Dud

Status
Not open for further replies.

sophie832

F&W Addict
We went to Toy Story Land for the first time yesterday, between 2-4pm, and I just cannot understand the hype.

First, I hate dead end lands...only one way in or out. DHS has a lot of those right now, and it feels like a traffic nightmare. Second, there is almost zero shade anywhere and very limited seating. In fact, the whole land seemed super small, which made it feel more crowded. Even the character picture spots are in full sun. Third, no indoor store of any kind, just ODV sales carts. I was expecting a cool Pixar store inside, but nada. Also, that means the only place with AC is the restroom. Finally, I had the worst iced coffee and DH had a mediocre root beer float at Woody's Lunch Box, and we had to stand up to eat.

The detailing in some of the open areas was ok, and we did enjoy our ride on SDD (we had a FP). Don't see us going back for a long time, though. Wondering if there are those who really love the design...not just the rides? Did we miss something?

We went to Toy Story Land for the first time yesterday, between 2-4pm, and I just cannot understand the hype.

First, I hate dead end lands...only one way in or out. DHS has a lot of those right now, and it feels like a traffic nightmare. Second, there is almost zero shade anywhere and very limited seating. In fact, the whole land seemed super small, which made it feel more crowded. Even the character picture spots are in full sun. Third, no indoor store of any kind, just ODV sales carts. I was expecting a cool Pixar store inside, but nada. Also, that means the only place with AC is the restroom. Finally, I had the worst iced coffee and DH had a mediocre root beer float at Woody's Lunch Box, and we had to stand up to eat.

The detailing in some of the open areas was ok, and we did enjoy our ride on SDD (we had a FP). Don't see us going back for a long time, though. Wondering if there are those who really love the design...not just the rides? Did we miss something?
Your negative points have been extensively shared with many, many people. So you are not alone, not sure tsland has any hype other than being brand new and something everyone wants to experience for themselves at least once.

I enjoy the land and the theming.. However I do agree with the gift shop point. Why they didn't put in a decent size Al's Toy Barn is beyond me. Whether it be inside the land or prior to entering the land, that would've been nice and another huge moneymaker for them

Wondering if there are those who really love the design...not just the rides? Did we miss something?

My family loves Toy Story Land. We love the design and the rides and the feeling we get there. You didn't care for it, ok then.

Why do you think anyone can convince you otherwise? You seem to really hate it. Not sure I can tell you what you're missing.

We are HUGE Toy Story fans, so it's special for us. Not everyone is the same.

I liked the land but agree that it could have been so much more for all the reasons you stated. For those with small children I can see the appeal of an area that caters to them in a park that offers them little. If they go after dark because the lack of shade is a problem. This park in general is my least favorite of the four.

Completely agree with the dead end, no shade, and no seating.
SDD is meh ok but only worth it in my opinion if done at RD and gotten "out of the way".
AS2 was actually annoying to me. So loud.
I do have to say that Woody's Lunch Box was amazing. I had the kid's size smores breakfast sandwich with double serving of tater tots.
It was more than enough food for me as an adult.
I was pretty annoyed with the limited places to set your food and eat it though.

The details of the land are cute though.

I was not wowed either. I even cancelled my EMM after experiencing TS Land during DVC Moonlight Magic. AS2 rattled my brains so much I had no desire to ride it again. I don't remember Mater's Junkyard Jamboree @ DL being so bad. I really liked SDD but wouldn't bother without a FP. Always enjoy TSMM but that new queue is just way too long so again without a FP I'm not waiting. The dead end & extremely long walk just to reach any of the 3 attractions is just nuts. And no way I'm waiting in the blazing hot sun to meet any of the characters. Maybe once they finish the rest of Pixar Place there will be some sort of loop to get to all the attractions and an indoor spot to meet the characters. I liked the theming but the layout is just awful.

I also agree that there are some that like/love it, & others that don't....But Dud....??:confused3

I wouldn't go that far... But nonetheless, there are some things that I think would've been better and some not so much....*(But Who am I?) I 'm not an Imagineer...

I do actually like the land...Alot actually...I think both new rides are very good, I like the way they incorporated TSMM new entrance in there as well, and do like WLB too....Also, the fact that it is a Dead end, is a temporary thing, as you might/might not know..

I see it as, it's a fresh new thing to see and do, and applaud Disney for that.... Like the man always said " KEEP MOVING FORWARD"..:teeth::thumbsup2

I visited Toy Story land for the first time this summer, and I really liked it. I thought the theming was excellent - they really did a great job making that space different from any other area of any of their parks. I loved Slinky Dog (even waited for over an hour in the afternoon heat) and Toy Story as well. I do agree that it is small, and tight, and without any air conditioned stores or restaurants, which is disappointing. At night though, when the lights are on, it is really interesting to see. All of the parks having lighting effects, but this area is again different - with multi-color lights everywhere. Riding Slinky Dog at night really made this stand out.

It will not always be a dead end. I agree about missing Al's Toy Barn. The land may eventually be expanded, I read an article that it was supposed to include a Woody/Jessie western section with a QS location. (perhaps it was an early concept only). (placed to the right as you enter the land, backstage area presently).

The land is WAY WAY better after dark, and it is on my list to be visited mostly at night, much like Pandora for us. The lighting is really nice. I did not feel it was a long walk into the land or thru the TSM queue. There should be more shade, for sure. I have yet to try Woody's lunch box, we usually go to Sci Fi on our Studios days (tradition!)

I like it, but it is not comparable to the beauty and depth of Carsland at DCA.

Last edited:
That's OK. Not everyone is going to like everything. Doesn't mean you missed anything.

The only time to see this land is at night with the lights on then the design really looks cool. During the day you are correct its just to damn sunny, no place to hide, what were they thinking. Now for my short review and rant.
1 - AL'S Toy Barn seriously are you kidding me they didnt build it.. Idiots just idiots they could print money with that store.
2 - No indoor restaurant, come on wow pizza planet it just works perfect and they had lots of props etc etc from the old place.
3 - The alien ride is one small step above a ride you can find at 6 flags.
4 - The SDD coaster is fun but again nothing new oooo it has to liner accelerator zones big deal. Rockin is 10 times better and inside and in AC.
5 - The new Toy Story Mania Ok I like everything about that.
6 - Disney needs to step it up Universal is killing disney right now with new rides.
7 - close the great movie ride again idiots, I dont care if you lost the rights to some of the movies inside then make some changes and use your own movies, last time I checked Disney had a few, sure mickey needs his own ride I get that but taking over the chinese theater with a mickey ride makes no sense to me.
7 - The new Star Wars land and mickey ride better be out of this world because its getting harder and harder to not spent more time at Universal.

Did Toy Story land "Wow" me and my wife? Not really, I mean it is kinda cool but not crazy cool but ..... Our girls absolutely love it! And HS needed rides that appeal to kids. I think they did a great job with the land for that purpose. As a family, we totally enjoyed SDD and AS2 but it's not a ride I would wait more than 15 minutes to go on with just my wife. Not everything can be to what adults like. WDW is a family destination and I'm glad to see more family style rides coming to the parks.

We weren't that impressed either. It was super cute. We loved the theming and we pointed at a lot of things while we walked. It just seemed so tight. The walkway was so narrow and then there was a dead end. We had a fp for alien saucers. It was ok. I would not ride it again if I didn't have a fast pass. The no shade was a big issue for us. Got off a ride and couldn't even find a shady place to stand to and look at the map. I love Toy Story its my favorite. I just feel like they could have done more with this.

I was less than impressed, but I thought it was just me. Like others, the "one way in/one way out bothered me". And the theming reminded me of a cheap, shadeless theme park area.

Dont get me wrong I know Disney needs to have rides for all ages. It's just looks like Disney pulled 50% out of the budget during construction. Dinoland has better stores and food thats just sad...

It looks cool sure,, kids love it sure,, but it could have been way better. It's like they didn't have the funds.

Even though every single thing on property has gone up in price in the last year and not just a little..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter