For Us, Toy Story Land Was a Dud

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve always have had a problem with the layout of HS, the park doesn’t flow. I feel like I’m walking down the street for ToT and turn around and walk back the same street to go somewhere else so not surprised Toy Story is the same. As far as benches or some place to sit this is a problem in all four parks. My only trip to Disneyland I couldn’t believe how many benches were in the park, maybe I’m just getting old.

The only time to see this land is at night with the lights on then the design really looks cool. During the day you are correct its just to damn sunny, no place to hide, what were they thinking. Now for my short review and rant.
1 - AL'S Toy Barn seriously are you kidding me they didnt build it.. Idiots just idiots they could print money with that store.
2 - No indoor restaurant, come on wow pizza planet it just works perfect and they had lots of props etc etc from the old place.
3 - The alien ride is one small step above a ride you can find at 6 flags.
4 - The SDD coaster is fun but again nothing new oooo it has to liner accelerator zones big deal. Rockin is 10 times better and inside and in AC.
5 - The new Toy Story Mania Ok I like everything about that.
6 - Disney needs to step it up Universal is killing disney right now with new rides.
7 - close the great movie ride again idiots, I dont care if you lost the rights to some of the movies inside then make some changes and use your own movies, last time I checked Disney had a few, sure mickey needs his own ride I get that but taking over the chinese theater with a mickey ride makes no sense to me.
7 - The new Star Wars land and mickey ride better be out of this world because its getting harder and harder to not spent more time at Universal.

1. Part of the theme is you are in Andy's backyard. So Al's wouldn't make sense.
2. Again, theming.
3-4. It is not meant to be a major thrill. This is a family friendly area.
5. The ride itself isn't new just the queue.
6. Star Wars will probably be the place for you.
7. They didn't lose any movie rights. They decided to change the attraction to a new trackless innovative ride based on Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse.
8. Maybe Universal is the place for you if you like thrills. Disney is not that place.

Dont get me wrong I know Disney needs to have rides for all ages. It's just looks like Disney pulled 50% out of the budget during construction. Dinoland has better stores and food thats just sad...

It looks cool sure,, kids love it sure,, but it could have been way better. It's like they didn't have the funds.

Even though every single thing on property has gone up in price in the last year and not just a little..
We could have gotten the Paris Toy Story Land which would have been even worse.

I’ve always have had a problem with the layout of HS, the park doesn’t flow. I feel like I’m walking down the street for ToT and turn around and walk back the same street to go somewhere else so not surprised Toy Story is the same. As far as benches or some place to sit this is a problem in all four parks. My only trip to Disneyland I couldn’t believe how many benches were in the park, maybe I’m just getting old.
DHS wasn't built to be a normal theme park like Epcot, AK, or MK. So now that the studio aspect is completely gone they have to work it in ways they didn't originally plan when they built the park.

We went to Toy Story Land for the first time yesterday, between 2-4pm, and I just cannot understand the hype.

First, I hate dead end lands...only one way in or out. DHS has a lot of those right now, and it feels like a traffic nightmare. Second, there is almost zero shade anywhere and very limited seating. In fact, the whole land seemed super small, which made it feel more crowded. Even the character picture spots are in full sun. Third, no indoor store of any kind, just ODV sales carts. I was expecting a cool Pixar store inside, but nada. Also, that means the only place with AC is the restroom. Finally, I had the worst iced coffee and DH had a mediocre root beer float at Woody's Lunch Box, and we had to stand up to eat.

The detailing in some of the open areas was ok, and we did enjoy our ride on SDD (we had a FP). Don't see us going back for a long time, though. Wondering if there are those who really love the design...not just the rides? Did we miss something?

I have questions and I mean no disrespect at all. ;) But have you done your research about Toy Story Land before going there? Or did you guys just wing it? I'm asking only cause your issues are things that were said by other people since it opened. My Disney World trip is in three weeks and I did a lot of research on TSL and Pandora especially since they're a few months to over a year old respectively and it'll be my first time seeing each of them. So I was just curious to find out if you found out any info before going there. :)

It won't be a dead end next year when Star Wars opens but I have to agree with a lot of the opinions here.A gift shop would be nice but more important would have been a bigger indoor restaurant,what they built is not going to work in the long run,this is Florida its hot and it rains and in two months it might be 30-50 degrees,who's eating outdoors,I have to believe Woodys box lunch is a temporary restaurant and eventually a space will open up that will have a bigger place.The rides are fine,Slinky Dog is fun,Alien Swirling Saucers is not ground breaking but its okay,I will agree that Star Wars and the Mickey ride better be great,otherwise the overall refurb of the park will be a let down which wil be a downer for me as I love the park and even though I knew a major refurb was needed I'm still thinking with Christmas coming how the Osborne lights dont exist any more,that was my favorite Christmas anything and even though TSL is not located where the lights where located I'm still judging whether these new attractions are going to be worth losing the lights,so far TSL is NOT worth it so Star Wars being located in the lights location better be ground breaking,with that said Disney needs to bring back a similar Christmas light display somewhere.

DD10 and I visited DHS on 10/24/18, and stopped through Toy Story Land from about 6-7:15PM before heading up for Fantasmic. We browsed the land, took some personal photos, waited roughly 40 minutes for photos with Jessie and Woody, and had a 6:50PM FastPass for Slinky Dog Dash that we claimed shortly after 7PM.

We really enjoyed Slinky Dog Dash, and the evening lighting enhanced our ride experience. We tackled Rock N' Roller Coaster earlier in the day, and it was pushing the edge for what my DD10 could tolerate. Slinky Dog was a comfortable coaster ride with just enough thrill for her. Maybe I didn't love it as much as RnRC, but she did, and that's what our trip was all about. DD10 opted against riding AS2, as she's not much of a "spinning" ride fan, to wait in line for Jessie and Woody. I thought all of the theming and decor was fitting for the area and fun.

I would agree with OP that the lack of shade and seating are legitimate logistic concerns in the heat of summer. Unsure why the lack of a store is a concern to anyone, other than an opportunity to get out of the sun in some AC.

Did Toy Story Land "wow" us? Probably not. But I didn't walk away feeling as if it was a waste of our time either. We'd visit again, most likely in the full evening hours to enjoy the lighting. I'd feel confident that the land will be expanded, and hopefully for those disappointed, your next visit there is a better and more comfortable one.

Last edited:
I would have appreciated some shade and indoor air conditioned shop or indoor seating area at woodys lunch box. Something like satuli’s canteen in pandora.
Otherwise the theaming is nice and rides are pretty cool to anyone who likes toy story.

I think TSL suffered from budget cuts as many other projects have (Navi in Pandora comes to mind).
The original sketches showed a TS restaurant, a game area and an Als Toy Barn.
These few easy to add items would make a huge difference in the land. I don't doubt they will be added if they do a phase 2.
I understand the lack of shade given the theme, but being there 2 weeks ago in 90+ degree weather, it was brutal. i can't imagine mid summer. That must be addressed. The umbrellas for those waiting for SDD is a start, but not an answer.
TSL is ok during the day. it really shines at night when the lights go on. Similar to Pandora, the evening lighting is amazing.
we enjoyed the time we spent in TSL. It is well themed and fun to go through.
The "dead ends" will end when SWGE opens.
That will be when we see if TSL has staying power, or if its just popular because its new.

Thanks for your review of TSL. We are a family of 5, young adults & parents and it sounds like we'd be better off skipping it. I had been ready to spring for extra fast passes through the Club Level program, but I was having trouble figuring out what we were going to do with them even before I read this thread. I've always thought the lack of shade was a problem for this park, sad to hear this didn't help out with that issue. We could come back in the evening, though, since we're staying at BWI.

For those who have been there, which ride in TSL would people recommend for us if we could only do one?

We went to Toy Story Land for the first time yesterday, between 2-4pm, and I just cannot understand the hype.

First, I hate dead end lands...only one way in or out. DHS has a lot of those right now, and it feels like a traffic nightmare. Second, there is almost zero shade anywhere and very limited seating. In fact, the whole land seemed super small, which made it feel more crowded. Even the character picture spots are in full sun. Third, no indoor store of any kind, just ODV sales carts. I was expecting a cool Pixar store inside, but nada. Also, that means the only place with AC is the restroom. Finally, I had the worst iced coffee and DH had a mediocre root beer float at Woody's Lunch Box, and we had to stand up to eat.

The detailing in some of the open areas was ok, and we did enjoy our ride on SDD (we had a FP). Don't see us going back for a long time, though. Wondering if there are those who really love the design...not just the rides? Did we miss something?

Totally understand what you are saying. We had to wait in line for our SDD because during both days when we had our FP, the ride was closed. So we rushed over there for nothing. No shade. Super small. felt crowded even though there weren't that many people in there.
We did enjoy the AS2 ride with the kids. The Slinky dog was also good, and we always enjoyed TSM, so overall, we were happy. But overall, it was a lot smaller than I imagined.

I wish the CS restaurant was at least under cover, if not inside. And right now, I hear plenty of people are just sitting there, sort of like a park bench, seeing how there are so few benches. Come to think of it, maybe putting a cover over it would just encourage more people to sit-to get some shade.

I would have appreciated some shade and indoor air conditioned shop or indoor seating area at woodys lunch box. Something like satuli’s canteen in pandora.
Otherwise the theaming is nice and rides are pretty cool to anyone who likes toy story.

I completely agree with the restaurant issues. We really enjoyed our breakfast there, but it would have been nice to sit inside.

Thanks for your review of TSL. We are a family of 5, young adults & parents and it sounds like we'd be better off skipping it. I had been ready to spring for extra fast passes through the Club Level program, but I was having trouble figuring out what we were going to do with them even before I read this thread. I've always thought the lack of shade was a problem for this park, sad to hear this didn't help out with that issue. We could come back in the evening, though, since we're staying at BWI.

For those who have been there, which ride in TSL would people recommend for us if we could only do one?

I would go at night and ride Slinky.

I wish the CS restaurant was at least under cover, if not inside. And right now, I hear plenty of people are just sitting there, sort of like a park bench, seeing how there are so few benches. Come to think of it, maybe putting a cover over it would just encourage more people to sit-to get some shade.
Oh, well that nixed my idea of eating lunch there. I was wanting to try something new, but this is why we always end up at the SciFi Diner, it's pretty much the opposite of the conditions in the rest of the park.

Oh, well that nixed my idea of eating lunch there. I was wanting to try something new, but this is why we always end up at the SciFi Diner, it's pretty much the opposite of the conditions in the rest of the park.

I would reconsider if the weather allows it. While I do agree with most of what the OP said, and that for me personally if you don't have a fastpass for any of the rides you are basically in and out in about 15 minutes. However, the exception to that is woody's lunch box. To me the food was excellent and with mobile ordering you can skip a large amount of the line. I do highly recommend at least trying to eat there once.

I would reconsider if the weather allows it. While I do agree with most of what the OP said, and that for me personally if you don't have a fastpass for any of the rides you are basically in and out in about 15 minutes. However, the exception to that is woody's lunch box. To me the food was excellent and with mobile ordering you can skip a large amount of the line. I do highly recommend at least trying to eat there once.
Thanks! We will keep it in mind. It really did look like a great place to eat, and we likely will only have a FP for TSM so I'd be glad of an opportunity to experience the theming a bit more. I'll make a reservation for SciFi and see how the weather looks.

We are just not used to the heat, we actually live where most homes have no A/C because it's just not needed. But our only available time to go to WDW is late May, so we get by with long afternoon breaks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter