*COMPLETE* "For your safety no chanting in line" A Jan '18 Dining report

Texans_loyal

Operation Disney is Underway!

Hey Y’all!:wave2: Welcome to my second Dining report! Just got back from a very crowded :crowded:, cold, and Food filled sibling trip!

Whosits and Whatsits:

Who:

My name is Farah and I am your average Disney obsessed 27 year old. While most girls my age love vacationing in Vegas or Miami, I spend all of my vacation days at Disney. I am a culinary major and food is my passion. I love trying new food without breaking the bank.

ozEuaK5l.jpg

My partner in crime is my younger brother Kamal. He is a 24 year old business major that loves everything Hollywood studios.:darth: He eats very clean at home (boring :crazy2:) but joins the dark side (we have churros:mickeybar) when we’re at Disney.

TwZZZJhl.jpg

My step brother and his family tagged along for the weekend, they will pop up a couple of times.

What:
Annual January sibling trip

7mFRqqLl.png

2017 festival of the arts. titanic got nothin on us!

When:
January 12th to 17th

I accidentally booked MLK weekend and since we rented DVC points, I couldn’t change the dates. Lesson learned.

Where:
Our first 2 nights were at All star movies in a preferred room.
(a first for us, we normally book standard.)

Our last 3 nights were at Animal kingdom Jambo house :cloud9:
DVC Standard view

We didn't do the Dining plan this trip since the Edison doesn't take DP and I had some Landry's rewards saved up.

Without further ado...HERE WE GOOOOOOO​

Y1mOr53l.jpg

Last edited:

Arrival day
1/12/18

Our day started at an ungodly hour. Seriously, I don’t know how many early morning flights I have left in me. It didn’t help that it had dropped 50 degrees overnight, welcome to Houston!

Svx0gEIl.jpg

We checked into our flight and went straight to the gate since we were running behind. I waited while Kamal grabbed sandwiches from Dunkin Donuts. We both had the turkey sausage sandwich.

9shZdvCl.jpg

A perfect portion of Turkey Sausage, Egg, and cheddar cheese. $5.99 each

So good! The turkey was spicy and went well with the cheese. It was a good portion and kept us full. thank God we don't have a DD near us or I would order this daily.

We had an uneventful flight and landed in Orlando 15 minutes before schedule. Not bad, I’ll take it.

EICeziQl.jpg

GGaIo2nl.jpg

Once we got off the plane I literally ran to the magical express, thankfully it wasn’t busy at all. I told Kamal this was a good sign. Joke is on me, everyone was already at Disney.

Within 40 minutes we were at All star movies.

Food total: $11.98

Last edited:
DVC TOUR

while on the way to the room I stopped by the DVC kiosk. The nice lady asked for my name and said that I qualified for a $100 GC and 3 FPs if I took a tour. I didn’t think twice and signed up for the next available Saratoga springs tour. A DVC bus showed up 30 minutes later.

lKsAdJ5l.jpg

We checked in and waited in the most beautiful lobby. There were pastries and drinks available. I’m pretty sure Kamal and I had 10 cups of POG juice each

TsJdFOyl.jpg

IbRp58bl.jpg

Mh4eIVHl.jpg

We met with a DVC rep and watched a short video. Then he took us to an office that had more food. We spent about 2 hours going over details and numbers. Once we were done touring the models, we were taken to the cutest ice cream parlor for free ice cream!

LvnN68Nl.jpg

KtdOIi3l.jpg

We each received (2) $100 GCs and 6 any time Fastpasses. SCORE!

wtldqIRl.jpg

Our own private van pulled up and the sweetest CM dropped us off at Disney Springs. He even gave us free umbrellas to stay dry.

qjQKz4gl.jpg

If you have free time, I highly suggest taking the tour. I learned a lot of new things about the resorts and can’t wait to become a member one day!
[/SIZE]​

Last edited:
T-rex

Once we got to Disney springs, we went straight to T-rex. I didn’t have a reservation but I’m a Landry’s select member so we were seated within 5 minutes. This restaurant is BEAUTIFUL! So much to look at! We were lucky to sit in the ice cave. The colors changed every 10 minutes and a show started every 30 minutes. All the animals would come alive and lights would flash.

7BOKlf7l.jpg

EgC1JDQl.jpg

m0gmIVXl.jpg

Hs7i3vol.jpg

The menu is very mediocre, nothing really caught my attention. For such a pretty restauraunt, you would think they would have a good selection of food. I got the Mastadon stuffed chicken.

aL0cl5cl.jpg

artichoke hearts, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, lemon butter, red skinned mashed potatoes, seasonal vegetables. $20.99

I pictured this dish differently and it threw me off. The flavors didn’t really go together and was very blah.

Kamal got the Shrimp Marinara.

eIKYGT7l.jpg

Linguini pasta, garlic, basil, white wine, tomatoes, crushed red pepper, marinara sauce, Parmesan cheese $21.99

I took a bite and the shrimp was rubbery. the sauce had no flavor at all, I was shocked at how bland the food was. Normally Landry's restaurants have great quality food. We left the restaurant still hungry, our plates went untouched.

Décor: 10/10

Food: 0/10

My boss had a Christmas party at a Landry’s restaurant and let me use my card to earn points. I ended up with (8) $25 rewards, I used (2) rewards here.

Food total: $10 after reward redemption
[/SIZE]​

Last edited:

‘Ohana

We had 8 Pm reservations for ‘Ohana with my step brother and his family. I really wanted to watch the fireworks while having dinner especially since it was their first time at WDW. We didn’t get the best table, but it was still awesome.

AJJuEELl.jpg

XGaQeeQl.jpg

Hot towels

We started with 'Ohana Pineapple Coconut Bread… that was gone before I could take pics.

Next up was the Mixed Greens Salad - with a Lilikoi dressing.

D6WxfT1l.jpg

Light and fresh. The kids ate most it? Weird children.

psEoNSHl.jpg

Honey Coriander Chicken Wings, Noodles - Tossed in a Teriyaki Sauce and Stir Fried Vegetables. No dumplings (we don’t eat pork) I thought the wings were very good while Kamal thought they were nasty and full of fat. Everything was very hot and fresh.

EZLrqJVl.jpg

An extra plate of noodles was brought for the bizarre children.

WPKZ6ZFl.jpg

The first skewer out was Szechuan Sirloin Steak.

It was room temperature and still mooing as my step brother put it. Kamal and I are true Texans, we didn’t mind but my step brother is a FOB (fresh off the boat) and wouldn’t touch it. Our waitress brought a skewer of well-done steak, but it was still cold.

The Sweet and Sour Chicken came shortly after. Everyone enjoyed it since it was much hotter than the steak. The lighting was dimmed at this point, I couldn’t get a clear picture.

Last but not least

ZsaP2PDl.jpg

Spicy Grilled Peel-n-Eat Shrimp

The waitress brought 2 skewers just for our table. SO GOOD!

And finally, what I’ve been hyping up for months…

jgQLmkzl.jpg

Bread pudding a la mode. Pic stolen off google because we have no self-control.

Q9uLmMRl.jpg

The kids got rice krispies even though they were knocked out under the table:rolleyes1 5 am flights will do that to ya.

‘Ohana fell flat for us this time, Kamal and my step family weren’t impressed.

It was a busy time, so I will cut them some slack. We won’t be returning for a while.

Decor/fireworks: 8/10
Food: 4/10
Total: $97.92

[/SIZE]​

Last edited:
I wanted to love O'Hana too! Stalked reservations for many trips, finally got reservations and was underwhelmed! The lines are always out the door no matter what...go figure!

I did this tour and got the gift card, was totally worth it for that and the fast passes. They almost pulled me in, but I don't think DVC is right for us. We plan too spur of the moment to make it worthwhile.

I went there once with a friend way back when it was still Downtown Disney. I agree that the restaurant is pretty, but the food was not good for us either and it was really loud in there. I haven't been back since.

At least there was a view of some fireworks. There are tables where you can't even see a window there.

I love this salad, but I also pour the peanut sauce all over it, which probably makes it slightly less healthy. Which night was this? We were there on Sunday.

I love these noodles and always ask for a separate plate.

It was room temperature and still mooing as my step brother put it. Kamal and I are true Texans, we didn’t mind but my step brother is a FOB (fresh off the boat) and wouldn’t touch it. Our waitress brought a skewer of well-done steak, but it was still cold.
That's too bad, the steak can be hit or miss. I normally like my steak medium-well and have been there where it comes out really under for me so I ask for more well done. This last time it was like a solid rock of charcoal.

The waitress brought 2 skewers just for our table. SO GOOD!
I love the shrimp

Before I saw the logo on the bottom of the picture I was about to comment how amazing your picture was! That is probably one of the best desserts on property, so good.

I'm sorry your meal wasn't better. It's always a little added pressure when you bring new people who you're hoping have an amazing time like you have before.

Yay! Another dining report :)

Welcome! :goodvibes thank you for reading!

Great start to your report. I look forward to hearing more!

Hello and welcome! :wave:

I wanted to love O'Hana too! Stalked reservations for many trips, finally got reservations and was underwhelmed! The lines are always out the door no matter what...go figure!

the first time I had Ohana was back in September, we had the latest reservation available and the restaurant was almost empty. I think that played a huge roll, food came out fast and was hot. I think they drop the ball when it's busy.

Following along, great start :cool1:

Hello and welcome! :wave2:

I did this tour and got the gift card, was totally worth it for that and the fast passes. They almost pulled me in, but I don't think DVC is right for us. We plan too spur of the moment to make it worthwhile.

That's also what made me hesitant. normally our trips are planned 30 days in advance, DVC fills up super quick.

I went there once with a friend way back when it was still Downtown Disney. I agree that the restaurant is pretty, but the food was not good for us either and it was really loud in there. I haven't been back since.

I might take my niece there for dessert but only so she can see the dinosaurs.

At least there was a view of some fireworks. There are tables where you can't even see a window there.

Man, that would suck. wake up super early 180 days out only to get a table on the other side of the restaurant.

I love this salad, but I also pour the peanut sauce all over it, which probably makes it slightly less healthy. Which night was this? We were there on Sunday.

that actually sounds good! this was Friday the 12th. did the kids enjoy it?

That's too bad, the steak can be hit or miss. I normally like my steak medium-well and have been there where it comes out really under for me so I ask for more well done. This last time it was like a solid rock of charcoal.

Steak is the one thing that's hard to get right. Ohana does great when it's not busy but at peak times i feel like they rush food out.

Before I saw the logo on the bottom of the picture I was about to comment how amazing your picture was! That is probably one of the best desserts on property, so good.

I'm sorry your meal wasn't better. It's always a little added pressure when you bring new people who you're hoping have an amazing time like you have before.

Definitely! My sister and I kept telling our brothers about how great it was but they felt very underwhelmed. thankfully, other restaurants made up for it.

WE’RE AT THE MAGIC KINGDOM!!
Sat 1/13/18

We were up bright and early this day, MK opened at 8 am and we were determined to beat the crowds. But first, breakfast!

Qwi89U1l.jpg

Purchased a refillable mug to share. We always purchase one and ask for an empty cup to split. Super excited to see cherry coke! $17.99

I got the Egg white frittata sandwich

Rf2Pi3ol.jpg

with Turkey Bacon and Tater Tots $8.49

This was delicious! Next time I would ask for them to split it down the middle so it’s easier to eat. Not to mention a great value, it was a decent amount of food.

Kamal got Mickey-Shaped Waffles with Bacon and Sausage

gfF7RuZl.jpg

Substituted bacon and sausage for double portion of potatoes $8.49

And we were off to a very busy and cold MK! By 9:30 all morning fast passes were gone. What?!

Space mountain had a 100-minute wait by 9:45, so much for rope dropping. We got on astro orbiter to pass the time but had to be evacuated mid ride.

zyfyaZ9l.jpg

No biggie, it was time for our SM FP….

8eGnoqGl.jpg

Never have I ever seen a FP line that long.

Next up, Hall of presidents!

yMAjeeVl.jpg

This was a first for us, we were both amazed! WOW, the theater is beautiful, and the animatronics are top notch. I will say, Trump isn’t orange enough and looks like Hillary…yikes. Just my opinion :scared:

We headed straight for BOG once we left the theater.

Total: $34.97

[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Be our Guest

We met up with our step brother and checked into BOG at 11:15. We waited 15 minutes to place our orders and found a big table in the ball room.
nTi9iy1m.jpg

LObZb7kl.jpg

French onion soup $6.49
the soup was ok, a bit soggy.

pMWk47pl.jpg

French Dip Sandwich
Served on a Baguette with Au Jus and Pommes Frites. $16.99

The "au jus" tasted like beef broth, Nothing to write home about.

LN01zGZl.jpg

Carved Turkey Sandwich served warm on a Baguette with Dijon Mayonnaise and Pommes Frites
$15.99

the sandwich was a bit dry so we asked for extra mayo. this was much better than the french dip. Kamal and I split the sandwiches for variety.

My step brother's family was amazed by the castle. the kid's couldn't believe that is where Belle lived, I would say it was a success.

TOTAL: $39.47
Decor: 10/10
Food: 6/10

At this point, I was starting to hit a wall.
we grabbed a Cheshire Cat Tail and went on a hunt for millennial pink magicbands.

yzjOGg4l.jpg

Chocolate Danish Twists, decorated with stripes of icing colored to resemble the Cheshire Cat. $4.99 :ccat:

Finally found them in stock at Big top souvenirs. How fitting, my favorite red slushy is from there!

C3MwOu0l.jpg

Gx4fKgcl.jpg

aritificial goodness $3.59 (AP discount applies) :lovestruc

ANDDDD we were outta there, Back to All stars to recharge. :faint:

Total: $8.58

Last edited:
It’s a snack buffet

Have you ever woken up and wondered which dimension you were in? this is exactly how it felt when I woke up 4 hours later. We put on warmer clothes and headed back to the kingdom.
a3cUusnm.jpg

Am I the only one that gasps every time I pass the castle? what a beauty.

I originally wanted to have dinner at the Plaza but MDE wouldn't let me make reservations and there was a 2 hour wait..nope. All of the QS had crazy long lines so I told kamal to grab some snacks while I got a turkey leg.

EoOzaAHm.jpg

Sweet and Spicy Chicken Waffle Sandwich $8.99 and Hand-dipped Corn Dog served with House-made Chips $8.49
I had a bite of the chicken and it had a real kick to it (I don't eat coleslaw). the corn dog was good, tasted different than Casey's corn dogs.

RInQZdwm.jpg

I got a Turkey leg ($11.75) and a pretzel($6.50).
this hit the spot, both were hot and perfect for a super cold night. we found a spot in the hub and waited for HEA while eating.

F8iNpoOm.jpg

We called it a night and went to bed early. we ride FOP tomorrow!

Total: $35.73

Last edited:
chanting at the Animal Kingdom
Jan 14, 2018

Another early morning was on our agenda today. The last thing i wanted was to get caught in the crowds.
roKT0dsm.jpg

we decided on yak & yeti QS for breakfast.
RkFwcjsm.jpg

Unfortunately, a lot of their items are pre-made. so no substituting or taking out ingredients. This limited our options.
We settled for (2) egg white English muffins.
lWJdhv0m.jpg

dq6JQ0Qm.jpg

$8.99 includes brown bites.

the sandwich was nothing special. I don't understand what a tomato was doing there? it made the muffin soggy, we both removed it before eating. the brown bites on the other hand were tasty! they saved the meal.

once we finished eating, we made our way to Everest to use our FP. This is when we noticed the tour groups, HOLY COW there were hundreds of them. while in line, the girls were trying to flirt with kamal by chanting and huddling around him to get his attention. Talk about awkward. A CM witnessed the situation and got on the speaker "For your safety no chanting in line". wish i took a pic, the poor boy was terrified. :rotfl2:

Total: $17.98

Last edited:
Blue people park

Oue stepbrother took FOREVER today. Kamal was getting antsy and wanted to explore Pandora before our FOP FP.

zBOJ749m.jpg

We stopped by Pongu Pongu to get snacks while we waited.
3ptwzQBm.jpg

39KuA4Um.jpg

Pongu Lumpia

Pineapple Cream Cheese Spring Roll $2.99 WE LOVED THESE! the outside was crunchy but the inside was soft and sweet.

v3If0yqm.jpg

Night Blossom - Non-Alcoholic Specialty Beverage

Mixture of Limeade with Apple and Desert Pear flavors topped with Passion Fruit Boba Balls $5.99
This was also a hit! loved the tart limeade with the boba balls. Pongu Pongu has our approval!

Our step brother finally made it just in time for our FP. My SIL took the kids to Dinoland and off we went.
5noa5iCm.jpg

ye7AC4Km.jpg

X9gbxCmm.jpg

We got #9,10,11 and 12. 2nd level. these seats were awesome, you can see everything. WOW WHAT A RIDE! It took exactly 1 hour from the moment we scanned our FPs to the time we got off due to the ride being down.

Our tummies were rumbling at this point, off to Satu'li Canteen.

834R7nrm.jpg

Thank God for mobile ordering, the line was out the door. We got our food within 10 minutes. Only down side is you can't use GCs or charge to the room, Only CC is accepted.

nslj8Qpm.jpg

Wbx92qOm.jpg

Kid's meal Cheeseburger Steamed Pod

Steamed Cheeseburger Pod stuffed with Ground Beef, Ketchup, Mustard, Pickle, and Cheddar Cheese served with Vegetable Chips and Grapes, and small Dasani® Bottled Water or Lowfat Milk $7.49
Kamal and I split these because I was dying to see if they really taste like McDonald's cheeseburgers....they do! the chips were nasty though.

bmLgTdWm.jpg

Slow-Roasted Sliced Grilled Beef Bowl*

Slow-Roasted Sliced Grilled Beef marinated in a blend of Garlic, Herbs, Red Pepper Spice, and Red Wine Vinegar topped with Crunchy Vegetable Slaw and Boba Balls served W/rice and chimichurri
sauce. $12.99

KlZGbaMm.jpg

Sustainable Fish Bowl

Panko Breaded Sustainable Fish topped with Crunchy Vegetable Slaw and Boba Balls served with greens and chimichurri sauce $12.99

mGPXYJGm.jpg

Blueberry Cream Cheese Mousse

Blueberry Cream Cheese Mousse with Passion Fruit Curd $5.29

BEST QUICK SERVICE EVEEERRRR! it's like a Na'vi Chipotle. We loved everything here especially the cream cheese mouse. we will be back!
Food: 10/10
decor: 5/10
TOTAL: $47.92

Have a great weekend Y'all!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!