Ford Transit Question

TheSageMouse

Earning My Ears
We have a 15-passenger Ford Transit, we have a Rockwood Premier Popup 2014(?)

We have an appointment to have a tow hitch put on our Transit. Anything we should be aware of, ask, or lookout for? We had a terrible experience with Uhaul in the past so we are using an actual trailer company this time.

We towed this with our Honda Ody (very short distances)

But this will be a 1300-mile trip each way. Just want to make sure we get the hitch/tow right!

Thank You

Be careful you don't go over the GCWR of the van. While the hitch will take the weight, the chassis, brakes and engine may not. Many time what is listed as the towing capacity assumes no other weight in the vehicle.
Excellent I will double-check that now! thank you

Weights: Transit
GVWR 9150 LB
Front GAWR 4130 LB
Rear 5730 LB -

trailer
GVWR/PNBV 3263 LB
GAWR FRONT 3000 LB
REAR 0000 LB

thank you !

Assuming the numbers work out on your weights I would try to verify with your dealer if the van has an auxiliary transmission cooler. Most vehicles that dont have tow packages from the factory (and even some that do) will have inadequate cooling capabilities for towing. A couple hundred dollars now hedged against a transmission repair of 5k is short money.

Always go with the gross weight of the pop up. As the dry weights are just that dry. So no water, awning, ac, heater, propane tanks added on etc. See the tow rating of your van, then the capacity. Add up the passangers luggage in the van and the tounge weight of the camper. Then hopefully all is good, and enjoy the ride.

@TheSageMouse

I tried sending you a message, but it looks like you have that disabled.

j

Jim, @TheSageMouse only has 3 messages posted (those in this thread I guess) and I recall the old rule used to be you had to have at least 10 messages posted before the PM function would work. I don't know if that's still the rule or not but it may be.

Ed

Jim, @TheSageMouse only has 3 messages posted (those in this thread I guess) and I recall the old rule used to be you had to have at least 10 messages posted before the PM function would work. I don't know if that's still the rule or not but it may be.

Ed
Thanks Ed.

@TheSageMouse,

Towing, weight limits and the like can get pretty heated on the internet, but I'll jump in since I can't send you a PM. First, all good advice so far. Definitely weigh everything and see where you are, but understand the various limits for the van and the trailer while you are doing that. The initials can get confusing. The 15 passenger Transit vans are built on E350 chassis. That is essentially the same chassis and drive train as an F350 pickup. Unless you are filling the van up with 15 people and gear, it should easily be able to handle a popup. I suspect you may not even notice it behind the van depending on how big of a popup it is. I doubt it will have a "tow package" since it didn't have a factory hitch, but the drive train on an E350 is more than capable of towing a popup regardless. Transmission coolers are a great idea and yours may already have one since it is a 15 passenger van. If the Honda Odyssey pulled the popup, a Transit will do just fine.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter