Fort Wilderness (and general camping) Etiquette

FWIW in 30 years of camping I have never locked a door. When the day comes where I feel like I need to, I'll stop camping.

:eek: For real? Wouldn't advertise that one much!!
When/where I was growing up, we didn't even at home - but I am of a certain age :rolleyes1

'Now', we wouldn't even walk down the street without locking up - no matter where we are - even Disney!! The atmosphere is much different these days, unfortunately - lots of crimes of opportunity - and planned ones too, as people watch your movements. :sad1:

When there this past Friday we did notice Disney security had a cart stopped by the unhitch area with a person that looked a little young to have a license. The person was on the phone, probably with there parents while the guard waited.

I would never feel safe like that. No way.

How many problems have you read about in campgrounds that are full of tents, pop ups, hybrids, etc, etc

I've slept countless nights in tents, from campgrounds to backpacking in bear country. Never had an issue.

I've slept countless nights in a pop up from the beach to the mountains. Never had an issue.

I've slept countless nights in a travel trailer from the beach to the mountains and a few longer trips. Never had an issue

One that I learned on a similar thread on this board several years ago is to try to lock your car door in a "quiet" way so you neighbors don't have to hear the little beep of your horn. So either lock it manually or just hit the key fob button once instead of twice (if that's how your vehicle works.)

This is more important at night, but still a courteous thing to do during the day so folks aren't hearing tiny car horns all over the place.

How many problems have you read about in campgrounds that are full of tents, pop ups, hybrids, etc, etc

I've slept countless nights in tents, from campgrounds to backpacking in bear country. Never had an issue.

I've slept countless nights in a pop up from the beach to the mountains. Never had an issue.

I've slept countless nights in a travel trailer from the beach to the mountains and a few longer trips. Never had an issue

I am glad that you have had no issues. But as a woman, we have to think about our safety much more then men do sadly. So no, I would never FEEL safe with just some vinyl and a zipper between me and anybody else. I also don't feel safe walking to my car in a parking garage when there are not many people around, or walking down the street when it is dark. Men have the luxury of not even thinking about their safety like woman have to. Even when the chances are low, it is still on your mind.

Last edited:
I am glad that you have had not issues. But as a woman, we have to think about our safety much more then men do sadly. So no, I would never FEEL safe with just some vinyl and a zipper between me and anybody else. I also don't feel safe walking to my car in a parking garage when there are not many people around, or walking down the street when it is dark. Men have the luxury of not even thinking about their safety like woman have to. Even when the chances are low, it is still on your mind.

I beg to differ with the bolded part. I don't "worry" about my safety as much as I stayed "prepared" for the time when my safety becomes in jeopardy.

I train 4-6 days a week, keep my head on a swivel when I am out and about, and will be armed with multiple weapons at all times.

My DW? Exactly the same. Training, preparation and mindset goes a long way to discourage those "feelings" of not being safe.

I'll give you an example -

On our recent trip to WDW we stopped in St Augustine to check out the beach. It was after dark and there was NO ONE around.

We parked in the pier parking lot and went to walk on the beach. I noticed a young man walking from the street towards us. He was walking, as I put it, with purpose. "With purpose" means he is going from point A to point B, and going hard at it. This always throws up a red flag for me and so the DW and I kept an eye on him.

My wife said "you have your weapon, yes" to which I replied "you know it". She said let's go out on the beach then!

Being prepared (and not scared) changes everything. You have to live, not be forced out of living.

The young man continued halfway to the water, looked under the pier, and then turned around and walked straight back to the street. I have no idea what he was doing, and it looked very suspicious, but he didn't bother us, and that's what counts.

I beg to differ with the bolded part. I don't "worry" about my safety as much as I stayed "prepared" for the time when my safety becomes in jeopardy.

I train 4-6 days a week, keep my head on a swivel when I am out and about, and will be armed with multiple weapons at all times.

My DW? Exactly the same. Training, preparation and mindset goes a long way to discourage those "feelings" of not being safe.

On our recent trip to WDW we stopped in St Augustine to check out the beach. It was after dark and there was NO ONE around.

We parked in the pier parking lot and went to walk on the beach. I noticed a young man walking from the street towards us. He was walking, as I put it, with purpose. "With purpose" means he is going from point A to point B, and going hard at it. This always throws up a red flag for me and so the DW and I kept an eye on him.

My wife said "you have your weapon, yes" to which I replied "you know it". She said let's go out on the beach then!

Being prepared (and not scared) changes everything. You have to live, not be forced out of living.

The young man continued halfway to the water, looked under the pier, and then turned around and walked straight back to the street. I have no idea what he was doing, and it looked very suspicious, but he didn't bother us, and that's what counts.

What a sad world we live in that we need to be trained and armed to feel safe. Maybe we need to do a better job of raising our kids right so they value others.

What a sad world we live in that we need to be trained and armed to feel safe. Maybe we need to do a better job of raising our kids right so they value others.

It is the world we live in. That's just reality. Bad things can happen in the blink of an eye.

BTW, my two grown children were trained the same way. I would pity anyone messing with them.

I am glad that you have had not issues. But as a woman, we have to think about our safety much more then men do sadly. So no, I would never FEEL safe with just some vinyl and a zipper between me and anybody else. I also don't feel safe walking to my car in a parking garage when there are not many people around, or walking down the street when it is dark. Men have the luxury of not even thinking about their safety like woman have to. Even when the chances are low, it is still on your mind.
This. 100%.

OK... we're back. We did break ONE of the rules, which we've never done before. We had site 235, which was awsome, but it was also ridiculous to drive around the entire loop when we could just pull right in from the street. I also thought it safer. We were very careful making the little left curve and never did we encounter another car or golf cart. We actually thought it safer than driving around the whole loop with kids and dogs outside playing.

Sounds like a geocacher :laughing:

This reminds me of a crazy thing that happened while we were camping in NY Keene Lake Campground Poconos. Our site was near the rec room. Well a whole family of people with several adults walked out of the rec room, and decided to skip the sidewalk and walk not only right through our site, but actually right next to our front door on our rug under our awning. There must have been about 8 or more people. We had a large site also. I had my door open was inside and literally started screaming at them all, totally lost my temper and yelled what are you doing, get off my rug. It was the craziest thing I ever saw. Not only walk through our site but literally walked right acrossed our rug and our awning was out. Not on the outside of the rug mind you, literally right next to the front door. We don't even wear shoes on our rug and an entire group of people did it, they were all together. It was so unbelievably rude lol. My husband was like well maybe it's their first time camping but come on. :crazy2: I hope all people know the basic camping etiquette.

Last edited:
I atually have had people walk into my guy wires that support my clam tent. Yea, i might add extras just in case of a storm:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter