Fort Wilderness (and general camping) Etiquette

We stayed at a fishing camp, once. The manager held drunk karaoke on Friday and Saturday nights. It was sing until you pass out. Which was about 3am. At 4am the tournament fishermen came screaming in, in their trucks. At 5am they went screaming across the lake in their boats.[/QUOTE
Lesson learned the hard way when your camping. If this isn't the idyllic waterfront camping experience you desire on weekends AVOID at all costs campgrounds located on "party lakes!" We're always cautious and research a LOT where we will be camping on weekends especially around cities, large and small. Sorry to hear you got caught up in that. Been there, done that, hopefully never again.

Where ,lol , i checked that and the profile allready. Im a capt. In northren nj. 23 years in.

Private information is better suited for the PM system. Back to camping etiquette.

I would have LOUDLY asked him if I could pay for his meal.
I told one of the staff workers, and she told me it happens often. She said their orders are to watch but not say anything that might cause a disturbance. We both said it us what causes prices to go up and children to learn bad habits. I wanted to confront the "jerk" but was asked not to.

Yea, I wouldn't have said a word to the staff. I like confrontation, and that was a golden opportunity! :-)

ABout going through other campsites.... we stayed in the 2000 loop and since we didn’t have a golf cart would often take the short cut by the group camping to the 900 loop. This wasn’t a problem during the week when the fort wasn’t as busy but during the weekend it’s was more of a challenge to get there without crossing through a campsite. We made sure we stayed near the very outside of their site and were quiet/respectful. We also tried to pick a site where nobody was home so we didn’t bother anyone. A nice path for the short cut would be awesome

Reading this thread reveals the differing opinions people have regarding the same issue(s). Human nature believing that one's opinion with related action(s) "is just fine" and the heck with what anybody else believes.

IMO, driving a motorized vehicle the wrong direction is simply dangerous, being loud during quiet hours, trespassing on another person's campsite is disrespectful, relieving one's self outside in a common area when restroom facilities are within easy walking distance is unsanitary and wrong.

FWIW in 30 years of camping I have never locked a door. When the day comes where I feel like I need to, I'll stop camping.

The sad realization is that one might not be around to "I'll stop camping" instead of locking the door(s). The safety of my wife IS THE REASON I lock the door and also pack.

The sad realization is that one might not be around to "I'll stop camping" instead of locking the door(s). The safety of my wife IS THE REASON I lock the door and also pack.

LOL, you don't know me well enough to comment on what I do.

And, my wife and I protect each other. She is as ready and prepared as I am. Dependency will get you killed.

LOL, you don't know me well enough to comment on what I do.

And, my wife and I protect each other. She is as ready and prepared as I am. Dependency will get you killed.

It is my understanding that without an entrance alarm of some sort, the entire interior of a residence is free range whilst occupants are asleep. Doesn't matter how quick and accurate one is if all that is being seen is the back of one's eyelids.

Recently on local news programs intruders are shown ON CAMERA walking around in houses collecting items while the owners are home and entering unlocked cars parked in the driveway. Along with money, jewelry, phones there were also firearms taken.

ABout going through other campsites.... we stayed in the 2000 loop and since we didn’t have a golf cart would often take the short cut by the group camping to the 900 loop. This wasn’t a problem during the week when the fort wasn’t as busy but during the weekend it’s was more of a challenge to get there without crossing through a campsite. We made sure we stayed near the very outside of their site and were quiet/respectful. We also tried to pick a site where nobody was home so we didn’t bother anyone. A nice path for the short cut would be awesome
There are definitely some areas of the fort where a sidewalk would alleviate the site encroachments. The first part of 1700 being a good example since the comfort station is on the other side of the loop and there is plenty of space for a walkway across the loop. Maybe I can get this fixed when the Mouse makes me head of the Fort. :rolleyes1

We're tent campers and want to add:
  • at the Fort, PLEASE don't try to wiggle around the rules to put anything but a pop up, tent, or van camper in the tent loops.
  • We have nothing but a bit of waterproof fabric between us and everything else so what you may think is quiet is actually the same volume as if you are just standing there, next to me. Please be respectful that not everyone wants to hear your conversations and TV.
  • Don't spend family/quality time in the comfort station. Use them to go to the bathroom and/or take a quick shower. We all have things we'd like to be doing so please use the facilities in a timely manner.

• Don't spend family/quality time in the comfort station. Use them to go to the bathroom and/or take a quick shower. We all have things we'd like to be doing so please use the facilities in a timely manner.

This!!!! I can't tell you how many times I've not even been able to get near the sinks due to extended family hanging out chatting!! Not sure if this goes on in the men's room, but it's ridiculous how many women and girls do it.

I have seen literally ONE person actually using the counter/ sink, while half dozen others are just there chatting with her.

For the love of God, when you're done - GET OUT!

This!!!! I can't tell you how many times I've not even been able to get near the sinks due to extended family hanging out chatting!! Not sure if this goes on in the men's room, but it's ridiculous how many women and girls do it.

I have seen literally ONE person actually using the counter/ sink, while half dozen others are just there chatting with her.

For the love of God, when you're done - GET OUT!
The hanging out is annoying but I think that the Fort can alleviate the women’s comfort station crowding by installing a shelf with an outlet under the mirror on the opposite wall from the sinks. Lots of women blow dry their hair and put on makeup and there is nowhere to do it but on the sinks. It’s hard to get near the sink in the mornings sometimes!!

The hanging out is annoying but I think that the Fort can alleviate the women’s comfort station crowding by installing a shelf with an outlet under the mirror on the opposite wall from the sinks. Lots of women blow dry their hair and put on makeup and there is nowhere to do it but on the sinks. It’s hard to get near the sink in the mornings sometimes!!

I'm pretty sure putting the mirrors on the opposite wall WAS their attempt to alleviate crowding. :crazy:

I don't do any of that in the comfort station. Every single site, including the tent sites, has electric. I do my hair and make-up in my camper, but even when I tent camped, I used a mirror in my train case sitting open and propped up on something. Even if only the ladies actively using the outlets stayed in there, and got things done without stopped to chit chat, it wouldn't be as bad. It's the extra people that are done, but seem to be spending family time in there, that is ridiculous.

It seems like a lot of females want to have conversations away from the males at their site, since they congregate in there. :crazy2:

Is it mostly the tent sites with overcrowded comfort stations, or do people in the other loops do this also?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!