Fort Wilderness Fishing

Pzahornasky

Earning My Ears
Heading down in Feb. My 12 yo daughter loves to fish but we don't want to do an excursion.

I've reached and only find conflicting info. Just where can we fish at Fort Wilderness without getting on a boat. I know there's the little pond, but that seems like it would be a little tame

We have our own gear so don't need to rent.

Only 3 places you can fish now at the Fort. One is at the pond between the bike barn and the Meadow Store and only off the dock, behind the 300 loop along the canal near the spillway into Bay Lake and last at the pond near group camping. These are the only places you can fish and always have to stay behind the mesh fence. Ive seen 4/5 pound bass caught near the spillway and at the bike barn pond so they would be the best spots IMHO. Good luck and have fun.

And to add:

If you try to toss a line into Bay Lake without paying for the excursion, the popo 🚨 will come get you.

DH and DS has caught some nice bass from the pond behind the Meadows trading post and from the canal behind 300 loop. Years ago DH also caught a 3ft gator in the pond!!! That was before you had to fish from the dock though. Early mornings and dusk are great times to go just remember the fences and dock are for her safety. Disney does not mean free of gators, snakes, or squirrels!!!!! You are still in central Florida. The squirrels are not dangerous unless you would try to pick one up anyway , but they will steal you blind!!!

My husband fishes and catches bass every trip. Most are caught behind the 300 loop in the canal close to the spillway. Have also caught them, along with brim and catfish, in the canal behind the 1800 loop. Never have fished in the Meadows pond, but I heard that kids catch them there on either worms bought from the bike barn or cut up hot dogs! These were caught behind the 300 loop. It is all catch and release.
fw bass dec 2018.jpg

Also - what is the preferred lure to catch the bass? We usually fish in the ocean off of Cape Cod up here and don't know what the bass like for lunch.

I would prefer not to use live bait

DH said a wacky rigged senko or a small spinner bait. Either are easy to fish, and are inexpensive. If you aren’t familiar, you can watch YouTube videos. if you go to the last page on the fort pic of the day, snowmedic has a great picture of the canal behind 300 loop that shows the fence. I think it is post 3945

Also - what is the preferred lure to catch the bass? We usually fish in the ocean off of Cape Cod up here and don't know what the bass like for lunch.

I would prefer not to use live bait
We catch most on a jerk bait (like a Slug-go). Any top water bail works well.

You can also fish in the new pond (created by the construction) next to the group camping area. I caught a nice bass in there on a jerk bait.
IMG_1930.jpg

Reviving an old thread-do you have to be staying at fort to fish here or can any WDW guest come and fish?

I am not sure since Covid came around. Before that you certainly could. Once upon a time if a resort had a body of water you could fish it. I'd ask at the resort where you're staying if fishing is allowed there also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter