Found another point that favors the purchase of DVC

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Even though Disney started doing this last year, I just realized the other day that they are raising the rates of their resort rooms during the year. Up until last year, when the rates were announced, they stayed put where they were, no adjusting of sorts done. Now, periodically through out the year they raise the prices.

For example, I have a one night stay at the AoA at the end of our trip in a couple weeks and when the rack rate was released it was $456. The rack rate for us was $465, with 20% off, but it is still $9 more than when first released. And some of the Deluxe resort rooms were up by $10-$20 a night. Someone said that they call it "yielding rates" in the hotel industry and that it is an "industry standard" practice.

Even though Disney started doing this last year, I just realized the other day that they are raising the rates of their resort rooms during the year. Up until last year, when the rates were announced, they stayed put where they were, no adjusting of sorts done. Now, periodically through out the year they raise the prices.

For example, I have a one night stay at the AoA at the end of our trip in a couple weeks and when the rack rate was released it was $456. The rack rate for us was $465, with 20% off, but it is still $9 more than when first released. And some of the Deluxe resort rooms were up by $10-$20 a night. Someone said that they call it "yielding rates" in the hotel industry and that it is an "industry standard" practice.
I’m not sure that’s correct. The rates change throughout the year and I think they have the last few years at least.

Also, DVC isn’t really a cost saver. If you plan to vacation at WDW for the next several decades it makes life more convenient for sure, but it won’t save you money. You just pay for those next 40 years or so of resort rooms at once.

I've determined its really more about how you vacation as to whether its worth it or not.
Personally I like to randomly decide hey I want to go at this time for this many days... (For example last November I convinced my BFF to go with me this February. And right now even though my sister and I are going in December we are debating a trip over Labor Day weekend)
With DVC you can't just do that.
BTW Disney is consistently raising rates and park ticket prices in order to drive people away because the resorts and parks are overwhelmed.
Once people start saying prices are too high and stop going Disney will not lower the cost but they will offer much larger discounts in order to get people to start coming back.

I’m not sure that’s correct. The rates change throughout the year and I think they have the last few years at least.
Well according to Dansdad, they started it last year, so that is where I got that. But I do know that this didn't used to be the case.

BTW Disney is consistently raising rates and park ticket prices in order to drive people away because the resorts and parks are overwhelmed.
How often each year do they raise the ticket prices? I was thinking maybe twice, or perhaps they just announce it twice?

How often each year do they raise the ticket prices? I was thinking maybe twice, or perhaps they just announce it twice?

In recent years at least they raise them once per year.
Has happened in February for at least the last couple of years.
And room rates are generally also only raised once per year as well when the packages become available for the following year which I believe had been August for several years but now I think they've started doing it more in June....

AFAIK the rates were announced for the entire year and stayed that way and has been the norm.....up until earlier this year. It was noted at the time but was overshadowed by the charge for parking fees as the hotel rates increased at the same time as the parking announcement. They would allow you to book a room in the next year but with the caveat that the final rates were not announced yet and you would see a change. Just what every hotelier does......or not.

AFAIK the rates were announced for the entire year and stayed that way and has been the norm.....up until earlier this year. It was noted at the time but was overshadowed by the charge for parking fees as the hotel rates increased at the same time as the parking announcement. They would allow you to book a room in the next year but with the caveat that the final rates were not announced yet and you would see a change. Just what every hotelier does......or not.
I wouldn't have noticed the change if it were not for MouseSavers. They list the room rates for each resort soon after Disney releases them for the upcoming year. Generally a 5% increase was what was estimated each year for Disney's hotel rates. The rack rate for my room at AoA, (taxes included) is $465, which is 7.5% increases from the 2017 rate when it was released. I do find this interesting and a very slick move by Disney to quietly raise the room rates without hardly anyone noticing at all. The 20% discount I got on my room is really around 18.5% because of the increase in the rack rate from when the "original" rates were released. So I have a feeling that going forward that before they release discounts on room rates, free dining offers, or just a percent of packages, they can and will raise the rates of the rooms so that can negate some of the savings the consumer thinks they are getting.

Well according to Dansdad, they started it last year, so that is where I got that. But I do know that this didn't used to be the case.

I guess what I was trying to say is the rack rates change throughout the year. The rack rates are different for different times of the year and not one set rate. So summer rates are different than fall which is different than spring, weekend more expensive than weekdays etc. Afaik they have always done it that way.
As for dvc, keep on mind that while resort room rates increase so do our maintenance fees each year as well as points needed for rooms. So the "value" of dvc isnt really there compared to just booking a room. Dont get me wrong, I love my DVC, but it is not a "value" that saves me money. It is a luxury item I pay for because it is convenient to prepay for my room. Maybe in 40 years I will see the savings but not anytime soon.

I guess what I was trying to say is the rack rates change throughout the year. The rack rates are different for different times of the year and not one set rate. So summer rates are different than fall which is different than spring, weekend more expensive than weekdays etc. Afaik they have always done it that way.
As for dvc, keep on mind that while resort room rates increase so do our maintenance fees each year as well as points needed for rooms. So the "value" of dvc isnt really there compared to just booking a room. Dont get me wrong, I love my DVC, but it is not a "value" that saves me money. It is a luxury item I pay for because it is convenient to prepay for my room. Maybe in 40 years I will see the savings but not anytime soon.

Yes, that is true. But the rates used to be set once for the seasons during the year and remain other than special offerings. This year there was the initial increase and then a second increase.

Yes, that is true. But the rates used to be set once for the seasons during the year and remain other than special offerings. This year there was the initial increase and then a second increase.
Right, this is what I was trying to get across. They could have numerous increases throughout the year and no one will know the better until it starts getting tracked more closely.

Holy smokes! 1 night at AoA is $465!!!! That is the reason to have DVC. I have not paid cash for a Disney room in 22 years.

Isn't this in one of the family suites that can sleep 6?
Yes its sleeps 6 and believe me, I can barely stand paying it the amount, but my youngest daughter has been begging to stay there at least once, so I caved. It was $370 after the discounts and all. One and done type thing.

Yes its sleeps 6 and believe me, I can barely stand paying it the amount, but my youngest daughter has been begging to stay there at least once, so I caved. It was $370 after the discounts and all. One and done type thing.

We did the Nemo suite a few years ago with a discount code. The room felt spacious (although this was before we stayed in DVC rooms, so maybe anything bigger than a standard hotel room seemed big) and the theme was a lot of fun. I also thought the bus service was great from AoA. The Nemo rooms were also centrally located (I've heard the Little Mermaid standard rooms can be far).

We are in a Cars Suite. That is the theme I wanted to stay in, so she compromised the location for getting to stay there one night. Can't imagine the price after the gondolas are installed.

As for dvc, keep on mind that while resort room rates increase so do our maintenance fees each year ***as well as points needed for rooms***...

Umm, this simply isn't true.

Also, what I pay for maintenance fees for my small DVC contract for 4 nights a year won't cover 1/2 a night at AoA...so if the rates of increase are comparable, I'm still coming out ahead (though I did buy in a decade ago when prices were lower.)

Umm, this simply isn't true.

Also, what I pay for maintenance fees for my small DVC contract for 4 nights a year won't cover 1/2 a night at AoA...so if the rates of increase are comparable, I'm still coming out ahead (though I did buy in a decade ago when prices were lower.)
Really? Maintenance fees increase each year. So do points per night. Comparing AoA to a deluxe DVC, even though AoA is pricey as a value, is apples to oranges. Buying DVC to save money is silly. I bought DVC. Buying a timeshare doesn't mean your vacations are cheaper. It means your room is paid for already. That's really about it. If you save money great, but nearly no one does.

Capang said:
...points per night (increase each year).

If you wanted a 1BR at OKW for 7 nights in May 1994, it would have cost 200 pts. If you wanted a 1BR at OKW for 7 nights in May 2018, it would cost 199 pts.

Points per night for villas can be reallocated but they do not and cannot increase each year as you said. The annual points for each resort are fixed for the life of the contract.

Maintenance fees have actually decreased on a very few occasions, but I expect them to increase most of the time. Most everything costs more now than in 1994.

DVC doesn't save most people money but if you stick with studios, it definitely can. I pay less staying onsite in an OKW studio than I would offsite in a Holiday Inn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter