FP TIER changes at DHS as of August 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is crazy talk! RnRc being changed to a Tier 2 was one of the best things they've done. It allowed people to get a ride in Toy Story Land, while still being able to have FP's for the likes of RnRc and ToT. I waited through three trips to finally ride TSM because I wasn't willing to give up RnRc as a FP. Thank goodness we're going before this new change.

Disney is made up of attractions, not rides. And there are 7 attractions in DHS that aren't tier 1. Granted the wait for most of them doesn't make the use of a fast pass worthwhile, still they are options.

Read what you said and explain to the average guest why they should not be upset with this switch.

With the three Toy Story FPs last Thanksgiving week, we used FP at HS on two different days, allowing us to use FPs for TSM, Slinky, RNR, TOT, Star Tours, and Fantasmic. We rope dropped Alien Saucers, and saw all the show, but literally did not have to wait standby for anything, other than a few characters.

With this change, to get that same experience, I would have to use FPs at HS on FOUR days, presumably riding Star Tours a whole bunch of times in the process.

It's awful, and there is no way it can be spun differently. If Disney felt the need to make RNR and/or Tower of Terror Tier 1, then at least drop Alien Saucers to Tier 2 and consider either keeping TOT or dropping TSM to get some semblance of balance.

This seems odd to me that they haven't formally announced it to the public yet, especially since FP booking starts in just a month and that's something people will need to know when planning. I guess we'll just have to see in a few weeks when people start booking their FP for trips that extend in to that time frame.

My guess is they're assuming SW:GE will bring in a lot of people to the parks, and when they aren't visiting the Star Wars stuff they'll be running around the rest of HS. As a result, they figure the top attractions will command most everyone's attention and FP uses, in turn then quickly reducing the FP availability for those attractions. This way, they're attempting to spread out the FP usage to other attractions, so people that aren't visiting Star Wars have an opportunity to do at least a few of the headliners. Also, maybe some people will skip HS (as people have stated already), therefore helping to reduce the overall crowd level.

This is just me trying to explain and rationalize this decision, if it's true. I'm not saying one way or another if it's good or bad, lol.

Read what you said and explain to the average guest why they should not be upset with this switch.

With the three Toy Story FPs last Thanksgiving week, we used FP at HS on two different days, allowing us to use FPs for TSM, Slinky, RNR, TOT, Star Tours, and Fantasmic. We rope dropped Alien Saucers, and saw all the show, but literally did not have to wait standby for anything, other than a few characters.

With this change, to get that same experience, I would have to use FPs at HS on FOUR days, presumably riding Star Tours a whole bunch of times in the process.

It's awful, and there is no way it can be spun differently. If Disney felt the need to make RNR and/or Tower of Terror Tier 1, then at least drop Alien Saucers to Tier 2 and consider either keeping TOT or dropping TSM to get some semblance of balance.

While I don't like it and can't imagine anyone does, I understand why they did it. With the increased crowd levels more people will be trying to get FP's and the only way to spread out availability is to tier. I think this is temporary, but don't see where they had much choice for at least the next few months.

Last edited:

This seems odd to me that they haven't formally announced it to the public yet, especially since FP booking starts in just a month and that's something people will need to know when planning. I guess we'll just have to see in a few weeks when people start booking their FP for trips that extend in to that time frame.
I’m trying to remember, did they announce the previous change at Epcot when Character Spot was moved to tier 1?

I’m trying to remember, did they announce the previous change at Epcot when Character Spot was moved to tier 1?

I was trying to remember this as well, but my memory is they didn’t. It just happened and someone here eventually noticed.

But “they” (either Disney or spread through bloggers) did announce tier changes when things like Pandora and TSL opened, from what I recall (I think).

Silver lining: with people having to pick just 1 popular attraction it will make the standby lines go faster all around. (I'm prepared for flames) but this is proven. An attraction without a fp moves the standby faster
But does it reduce FP+ allocations? (Which would result in faster standby’s)

I think there will still be the same number of guests using FP+ ... but there will be more unique guests ...or more tier 1’s will be available as the 4th FP+ for early FP+ users. but there will still be the same number of FP+ guests per Tier 1

But does it reduce FP+ allocations? (Which would result in faster standby’s)

I think there will still be the same number of guests using FP+ ... but there will be more unique guests ...or more tier 1’s will be available as the 4th FP+ for early FP+ users. but there will still be the same number of FP+ guests per Tier 1
no FP allocation won't change but there will be less people using it all at once.
This will make SDD fp the most desirable while the other rides will be a 4th fp meaning most should have shorter standby waits mostly in the morning hours. For someone that knows the fp system (like most here) they will tap their 2 Tier 2 fp quickly to get a 4th Tier 1 fp. But most people don't know the ins and outs

When they dropped RnR to tier 2 I was ecstatic to get SDD and RNR - my family isn't a fan of TOT so we always had something random after that. I knew it was too good to be true!

But honestly, as said before, they really need to drop saucers and mania out of tier 1. It would make it hurt so much less. We swapped a day in our August trip to just avoid the FP change... that's kinda sad!

I wonder how many people will be willing to spend money on EMH events at HS that don't include GE after it opens. But on that note, how many times can you do MF before you're over it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter