FP vs ROL dining package

Lancer

Accept priority override Alpha
Hey there,
We have not been to the parks since the Rivers of Light show started. We already have FP's for it, but is there a significant difference in the quality of view between the FP seats and the dining package seats?
We are also on the dining plan but have reservations for a non package restaurant and wonder if it is worth changing. Also considering Tiffins, is it worth 2 TS credits? I know, its probably to each their own like Le Cellier but thought I would ask.

Thanks

Curious as well. I plan on getting FP for this, as we want to eat at Yak and Yeti. I find most disney firework/projection shows are fun because of the music and fellow Disney friends (however many 100s!). And I also like to escape quickly - so being up front and center can sometimes be worse when it comes to funneling out of the shows. But we have never done ROL, so would like to hear from veterans on it!

All areas have good views. Imo the FP area is a little more center.

RoL dining package recommendation is the same as I'd give for Fantasmic dining package, if you plan to already eat at one of the participating restaurants, then do the dining package. If you don't already plan to eat at one of the restaurants, then I wouldn't force myself to eat there to just do the dining package.

Thanks CAS239,
You have confirmed my suspicions. The first year they offered the package for Fantasmic, we did it and was seated in a section all the way to the right side facing the show.(Not sure if it has changed since).Guaranteed seating yes, but we much prefer to be as centered as possible on the show and have not done the dining package since. Although, I think it is, worth it, for the Candlelight Processional.

You can get a good fastpass or even standy seat but it will depend on how early you arrive. We didn't want to use a FP on the show and we needed a TS meal for that day anyway, so we did the dining package. Great seats. I was there 45 minutes before the show started because I was waiting for my family. It was over the christmas holiday and the park was packed.

While I was people watching, I noticed a huge group of 20+ (all in matching shirts) move from the standby section over to the dining package section. The CM went over and talk to them and they pointed to another CM. The 2 CMs talked and mine didn't look happy. I asked her why they moved over. She said they were overflow from standby. People who purchased the dining package still had over 30 minutes to get to the show. I mentioned that to her and she just said she knows and apologized. The dining package tickets say to arrive 15-30 minutes before show starts. If it's a crowded park day, I wouldn't trust that! A standby person may already have your seat.

The first year they offered the package for Fantasmic, we did it and was seated in a section all the way to the right side facing the show.(Not sure if it has changed since).

It has.

(First or Only F! performance of the evening)
Cyan= Standby (walk-in) seating
Red= Dining Package Reserved
Blue= FP+ Reserved
Purple= Can be either FP+ or Dining Package Reserved, depending on needs.

(Second or Third F! performance of the evening)
Red, Purple, Blue= FP+ Reserved
(Although much of the outer Blue will likely be used for Standby.)

F-Seating-West-FDP-FP_090715_zpsbgadk8q7.jpg

Is it easy to get a FP for this? I want to make sure we can use FP for some of the rides.

Is it easy to get a FP for this? I want to make sure we can use FP for some of the rides.

Not really easy. (It is a "Tier 2" FP, however.)
Regardless, if you advance-book a RoL FP, you won't be able to get any 4th, 5th, etc. FPs in DAK that day due to the late nighttime start of the show.

All areas have good views. Imo the FP area is a little more center.

RoL dining package recommendation is the same as I'd give for Fantasmic dining package, if you plan to already eat at one of the participating restaurants, then do the dining package. If you don't already plan to eat at one of the restaurants, then I wouldn't force myself to eat there to just do the dining package.

Why is that because that’s Essentially that’s what my family’s doing

Honestly I would rather cs sense that’s our only day in the park

If doing standby for ROL, about how early would you recommend arriving? I'm not fussy about stone/wooden benches or the best view. If I can see the show from a semi-reasonable angle, I'm happy.

I've been considering a FP for it since it's new to us, but kinda hate tying up an FP with a nighttime show.

If doing standby for ROL, about how early would you recommend arriving? I'm not fussy about stone/wooden benches or the best view. If I can see the show from a semi-reasonable angle, I'm happy.

I've been considering a FP for it since it's new to us, but kinda hate tying up an FP with a nighttime show.

45 min or more ahead of time. Earlier the better just incase it gets filled quick

Because you could do standby or FP. There's no reason, in my opinion, to dish out $50+ per person to eat somewhere you already weren't planning on eating at.

I hate to disagree with a expert but I feel it’s two in one a meal that has to be eaten anyway and a place holder for a show we want to see but my logic could be wrong

I hate to disagree with a expert but I feel it’s two in one a meal that has to be eaten anyway and a place holder for a show we want to see but my logic could be wrong
Yes, but some people do not want to eat at a more expensive venue when they can get a cheap burger or sandwich somewhere or even bring their own sandwiches. Plus dining at a table service restaurant takes a good 60-90 minutes out of your day while a quick service would be only 10-30 minutes.

The PP was just saying if you want to dine at one of the ROL restaurants, then get more bang for the buck and do the ROL dining package too. Otherwise do standby FP for free. Or use one of your 3 FP+ on ROL but realize it will lockup your FP selection for the day since you cannot get FP #4 until you have used FP #3 (which would be ROL at night).

:wizard:

The PP was just saying if you want to dine at one of the ROL restaurants, then get more bang for the buck and do the ROL dining package too.

Yep, this was my thought process for deciding to do the WOC dinner package at DCA - I wanted to eat at Carthay Circle anyway, and doing the dining package meant that I didn't have to worry about getting a FP before they ran out. (Unlike with ROL, getting a FP for WOC doesn't preclude you from getting other FPs, but you do have to get one early, because they do run out.)

Robo,
Thank you very much for the update. That was a real eye opener, I can just picture our surprise when we would of arrived. I now know we will either have to try and get lucky for a fast pass latter in the day(for pocahontas) or at the very least arrive early enough to get a seat on the left side of the Scar section . We want to stick with our non package restaurant.

It has.

(First or Only F! performance of the evening)
Red= Dining Package Reserved
Blue= FP+ Reserved
Purple= Can be either FP+ or Dining Package Reserved, depending on needs.

(Second or Third F! performance of the evening)
Red, Purple, Blue= FP+ Reserved
(Although much of the outer Blue will likely be used for Standby.)

F-Seating-West-FDP-FP_090715_zpsbgadk8q7.jpg

FP seats are fine, haven't done dining package so don't know how that compares. In either case be aware that ROL seems to be more prone to cancellation more recently

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter