Free dining and service

kmermaid

DIS Veteran
Any thoughts on how the service will be during free dining? I for one am going in with very LOW expectations. That way I won't be too disappointed. ;)

we were at disney for free dining last year and found the service to be exemplary w/one exception... ironically we were at the same restaurant in january and found the service to be equally mediocre... ergo, i don't think service suffers at all w/free dining... if anything, you can expect it to be above average 'cause the servers know their tip is guaranteed and diners are so happy to be eating for free that they often throw an extra gratuity down just for "fun!" (i know we could afford to be more generous when the meal plan was free)

enjoy :flower:

Everything I've read here on the DIS suggests service will be just as good as ever. Wait staff is getting an 18% tip with the DP, so I can't imagine they would be unhappy.

DH and I were there during the time that Free Dining was going on last year (we, of course, booked too late to take advantage :rolleyes: ). I totally forgot there was free dining going on while we were there. Everything seemed the same as it's ever been.

Why would you expect poor service, just curious? :confused3

cassi06403 said:
Everything I've read here on the DIS suggests service will be just as good as ever. Wait staff is getting an 18% tip with the DP, so I can't imagine they would be unhappy.

DH and I were there during the time that Free Dining was going on last year (we, of course, booked too late to take advantage :rolleyes: ). I totally forgot there was free dining going on while we were there. Everything seemed the same as it's ever been.

Why would you expect poor service, just curious? :confused3

Someone posted that the waitstaff don't get that 18% tip for two weeks after the job and they don't like that too much. I didn't say I EXPECT poor service, just keeping my expectations low and not expecting terrific service. Believe me I will be the 1st person plunking down extra $ to the waitstaff for putting up with free dining! :sunny:

Server does not know if you got your dining for free or if you paid for it. Many people during that time will have actually paid for it. We went last year during this promo and had no problems.

correct, the waitstaff does not get their tips 'til "payday" which is once every two weeks (or so i've been told) but once the initial "curve" of the first wave of DDP (free or paid) is over, it shouldn't really matter that much... kwim? yeah, those first two weeks w/out tips must have stunk due to the lag-time, but after that, just because they are not getting "today's" money, they are getting money regularly... does that make sense?

i know the corporation i work for holds your first two weeks pay when you start (or at least they did 13 years ago when i began work there) and gives it to you when you quit or retire, so while it stinks for that two weeks, eventually you get your due and you get regular pay all along...

kmermaid said:
Someone posted that the waitstaff don't get that 18% tip for two weeks after the job and they don't like that too much.

gigi1313 said:
correct, the waitstaff does not get their tips 'til "payday" which is once every two weeks (or so i've been told) but once the initial "curve" of the first wave of DDP (free or paid) is over, it shouldn't really matter that much... kwim? yeah, those first two weeks w/out tips must have stunk due to the lag-time, but after that, just because they are not getting "today's" money, they are getting money regularly... does that make sense?

I did not know this - you learn something new every day! :) I do think that makes sense though.

We've dined on the plan twice now. Once paid for and once free. :goodvibes We didn't notice any difference those times versus times when we paid our own way. Some service was great, some was good, very little was bad. That's our experience anyway.

Just back from a trip using DDP. Didn't notice any difference at all with service. We were up front when ordering and some servers were extremely helpful and did a great job (Boma and Le Cellier) and others (Kona cafe) that were sub par. I've always been a big believer in tipping according to the service provided, not just because it's "standard". For our server at Kona, if it were me adding the tip, it would not have been the 18%.

Someone posted that the waitstaff don't get that 18% tip for two weeks after the job and they don't like that too much.
However, that's not related to the Dining Plan; that'll be the case if you tip on a credit card as well. So unless you plan to tip in cash (and so few guests do these days), the servers aren't going to get their money any sooner.

3AmigosMom said:
....I've always been a big believer in tipping according to the service provided, not just because it's "standard". For our server at Kona, if it were me adding the tip, it would not have been the 18%.

I think the guaranteed 18% may actually be hurting service in some cases. Knowing that he/she will get an 18% tip whether or not they provide good service probably curbs the enthusiasm of some of the wait staff.

I suppose the question is how readily will management comp a meal (which means no tip for the server) if the guest complains about service. Folks who are already paying an automatic tip may be very much more likely to complain than those who can just express their dissatisfaction by how much of a tip they leave.

We got back from WDW a week ago and were on the dining plan. The service was wonderful. Actually, it was the best we've seen in several years. I don't know why it would be different in September. Many people there at that time will be paying for dining also (there is a limited number of free DDP ressies available).

kmermaid said:
Someone posted that the waitstaff don't get that 18% tip for two weeks after the job and they don't like that too much. I didn't say I EXPECT poor service, just keeping my expectations low and not expecting terrific service. Believe me I will be the 1st person plunking down extra $ to the waitstaff for putting up with free dining! :sunny:

Believe me I will be the 1st person plunking down extra $ to the waitstaff for putting up with free dining!

Putting up with what?? Free dining isn't a disease it is a promotion. As a previous poster stated the waitstaff doesn't know if you bought the dining plan or it was free. Everyone gets the same card. People who go during the free dining plan aren't singled out because they didn't have to pay for something. I think alot of people associate the free diners with being low class and unable to afford the dining plan. Disney associates give the same superior quality service to everyone regardless of what, where, and how much your annual income is.

We had great service last year with the free dining - I don`t expect it to be any different this year. We did tip extra - in cash -when we thought we got exceptional service. I think they`ll be quite a few like us!

We're just back from 5 nights with the DP (paid via DVC). If anything, I noticed that the service was just a tad better with the DP. I say that because all of our waitstaff made a special effort to make sure we got the full benefit from the plan -- often pointing out things like a kid being able to order an adult appetizer (shrimp cocktail, in that case).

Also, if anything, I probably tipped a little more than normal. I usually tip 20%, but for us that would only have been an extra $2-3, which seemed kinda chintzy, so I upped it to $5 extra tip...or $10 in one case. The waitstaff had no way of knowing that was going to happen with us, but I suspect they've seen enough of it to know they can make a few extra bucks if they give great service.

In any event, we enjoyed great service at all the TSs we had.

jsmla said:
I think the guaranteed 18% may actually be hurting service in some cases. Knowing that he/she will get an 18% tip whether or not they provide good service probably curbs the enthusiasm of some of the wait staff.
This was my thought last year when we had the free dining promotion. Some servers were great, explained exactly what we could order and I did leave an extra cash tip. For the server , it paid because as we ordered the bill grew and so did the tip.
Some were not attentive, and I felt that that the dining plan hurt us because they received the tip anyway. I felt that since the dining was free, I shouldn't complain. It occured to me later that some didn't have the dining plan for free and still received the mediocre sevice.

lustergirl said:
.... Free dining isn't a disease it is a promotion.
:rotfl2:

As a previous poster stated the waitstaff doesn't know if you bought the dining plan or it was free. Everyone gets the same card. People who go during the free dining plan aren't singled out because they didn't have to pay for something. I think alot of people associate the free diners with being low class and unable to afford the dining plan. Disney associates give the same superior quality service to everyone regardless of what, where, and how much your annual income is.

Very interesting comments,lustergirl!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter