Free Dining Package and AP holders?

DemonLlama

DIS Veteran
I booked the bounceback free dining offer last Fall for this coming December.

When we go, it turns out that three of our six people are going to have active APs at the time.

The package include the park hopper tickets and in MDE say they are non-transferrable, so I can't move those to another "guest" at this point.

Has anyone done the package with someone on the reservation holding an AP and were able to "hold" the package park tickets for a later trip when the AP is no longer active?

Is this something we could get worked out at check-in at the resort? Or should we plan on going to Guest Services at a park to do so?

Or can it just not be done?

I posted an update in a reply below, but thought it might be less confusing if I copied and pasted here so it was easier to spot why I resurrected an old post:

So, here we are nearly 18 months later, thought this deserved an update.

After being on the phone for over two hours, we are stuck waiting on a call back from a fourth level management from when we started, having apparently wasted the cost of three 5 day park hopper tickets on a bounceback free dining offer when half of our party had annual passes at the time (Dec. 2017)

We saved them to use for the upcoming May 2019 graduation trip planned. We visited guest services in the Magic Kingdom during the December trip to verify we could bank these unused tickets for the three people who already possessed valid theme park admission. The CM moved the three hoppers to the three accounts I created in order to make certain they weren't activated at the turnstiles. (Tickety Person is on the friends and family list. As is Mrs. Tickety and Dr. Tickety. The CM was amused as she moved them over for later use.

When we went to move them over to the people on our hotel reservation for the upcoming trip, only one of them was "visible" on my name. I attempted to link up the other two, but every pending invitation was met with the error message and the phone number.

So we called today and two hours later, despite them admitting they can see the tickets and that they were never used, and that a CM in guest services had moved them for us to use at a later date, that none of them, even the one showing active under my name on MDE that allows me to play with fast pass reservations, are valid, all of them are expired, and, sorry everyone you asked about this assured you purchasing the package would allow you to save the admission not needed with three AP holders on the reservation.

We've escalated a 4th time at this point and are supposed to expect a call on Saturday after review.

I'd have cancelled the package if at any point I had been told I was throwing away $$$ on three 5 day park hoppers, but every time I inquired, it was "no problem" as long as they aren't activated at a turnstile for use.

If you review the replies, it turned out that yes, as soon as our park package started, we could transfer them (they had shown as non-transferrable prior) and yes, we had the MK CM do that for us to make sure it was working correctly.

And still, we're at the "sorry, they expired by the end of the vacation week" answer from Disney right now.

Last edited:
Usually tickets are only non transferable once they've been used. It shouldn't be a problem to save the free dining tickets for a later trip. I would create a couple "dummy" profiles in MDE and try to transfer the tickets from the people holding the APs to the "dummy" profiles. Or have you already tried that and it won't work?

You can, at the parks, assign priority to the APs so they are accessed and the other tickets remain unused.

Usually tickets are only non transferable once they've been used. It shouldn't be a problem to save the free dining tickets for a later trip. I would create a couple "dummy" profiles in MDE and try to transfer the tickets from the people holding the APs to the "dummy" profiles. Or have you already tried that and it won't work?

tried, doesn't work. They each say non-transferrable and I can't move them.

thank you for the replies!

Will changing to APs at check-in affect our 60 day FP reservations?

thank you for the replies!

Will changing to APs at check-in affect our 60 day FP reservations?
As long as a valid ticket is attached to each name in MDE, it won't matter if you change to APs. Just make sure that when you get the APs, you have the CM prioritize the APs so that they get accessed by the ticket system first. Another ticket attached to my name had a day taken from it rather than my newly-purchased AP a couple of years ago. Fortunately, I knew to check it and a visit to GS took care of it. But having the AP prioritize at the point of purchase would have saved me about 20 minutes.

After being on the phone for over two hours, we are stuck waiting on a call back from a fourth level management from when we started, having apparently wasted the cost of three 5 day park hopper tickets on a bounceback free dining offer when half of our party had annual passes at the time (Dec. 2017)

We saved them to use for the upcoming May 2019 graduation trip planned. We visited guest services in the Magic Kingdom during the December trip to verify we could bank these unused tickets for the three people who already possessed valid theme park admission. The CM moved the three hoppers to the three accounts I created in order to make certain they weren't activated at the turnstiles. (Tickety Person is on the friends and family list. As is Mrs. Tickety and Dr. Tickety. The CM was amused as she moved them over for later use.

When we went to move them over to the people on our hotel reservation for the upcoming trip, only one of them was "visible" on my name. I attempted to link up the other two, but every pending invitation was met with the error message and the phone number.

So we called today and two hours later, despite them admitting they can see the tickets and that they were never used, and that a CM in guest services had moved them for us to use at a later date, that none of them, even the one showing active under my name on MDE that allows me to play with fast pass reservations, are valid, all of them are expired, and, sorry everyone you asked about this assured you purchasing the package would allow you to save the admission not needed with three AP holders on the reservation.

We've escalated a 4th time at this point and are supposed to expect a call on Saturday after review.

I'd have cancelled the package if at any point I had been told I was throwing away $$$ on three 5 day park hoppers, but every time I inquired, it was "no problem" as long as they aren't activated at a turnstile for use.

If you review the replies, it turned out that yes, as soon as our park package started, we could transfer them (they had shown as non-transferrable prior) and yes, we had the MK CM do that for us to make sure it was working correctly.

And still, we're at the "sorry, they expired by the end of the vacation week" answer from Disney right now.

I booked the bounceback free dining offer last Fall for this coming December.

When we go, it turns out that three of our six people are going to have active APs at the time.

The package include the park hopper tickets and in MDE say they are non-transferrable, so I can't move those to another "guest" at this point.

Has anyone done the package with someone on the reservation holding an AP and were able to "hold" the package park tickets for a later trip when the AP is no longer active?

Is this something we could get worked out at check-in at the resort? Or should we plan on going to Guest Services at a park to do so?

Or can it just not be done?

I posted an update in a reply below, but thought it might be less confusing if I copied and pasted here so it was easier to spot why I resurrected an old post:

Yes, those tickets you purchased in the fall of 2016 have an expiry of December 31st, 2018. It's my understanding that you won't lose the value of the tickets if you want to use them in May, 2019, but because it will be expired by then, you need to go to guest services once you get to DW to purchase new tickets, and they will then charge you the difference between the expired tickets and the new tickets. I hope that makes sense.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to make fp's ahead of time on an expired ticket.
Please let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

Thanks for coming back and reporting your experience. I hope you are able to get what you paid for them, even if you can't make advance FPs.

Update: Heard back from Disney and they have refunded us the $1774 to our card for the unused tickets.

Glad we insisted on asking again and again for help up the chain! The original answer was just that they were expired, sorry Charlie. No mention of not losing the value and being able to pay just the difference!

So with the refund we can get new tickets and make fast passes at the 60 day mark without issues.

I find it interesting that they refunded you instead of issuing a future credit. Only because the tickets were a required purchase of the free dining bounceback promo (yes?). But then again, Disney does make exceptions often due to each specific situation. Glad you got it all worked out.

I found it interesting, too. I wondered if it wasn't on the assumption the tickets would cost more now? Still, seems like a better economic situation for them to just issue future credit. Odd.

Yes, those tickets you purchased in the fall of 2016 have an expiry of December 31st, 2018. It's my understanding that you won't lose the value of the tickets if you want to use them in May, 2019, but because it will be expired by then, you need to go to guest services once you get to DW to purchase new tickets, and they will then charge you the difference between the expired tickets and the new tickets. I hope that makes sense.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to make fp's ahead of time on an expired ticket.
Please let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

I am sure you meant fall 2017. We booked a FD BB fall 2016 and our 2 remaining 9 day PH show an expiration of 2030.

I found it interesting, too. I wondered if it wasn't on the assumption the tickets would cost more now? Still, seems like a better economic situation for them to just issue future credit. Odd.

I am glad you got it done and over with. I wish they had done the same for us.

We had (actually still have) issues with our 2016 BB FD tickets, as they were severely undervalued in the system. We have 2 left and a case number to refer to when upgrading in the future. However, it is based on the old way, so I see another hurdle.

I have two 9 day park hoppers on my account that are not activated. My trip began December 14th. I booked a BB for December 6 of next year. I am not sure who is going to join me, but will I need to wait until after I begin my trip to use them? I want to bring a friend's daughter with me. I have never had "extra" tix before but thought I could assign any ticket that was in my account to who I wanted to assign it to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter