Free Dining - Reservation for One?

SideEeyore

Earning My Ears
I want to go to disney world this year and enjoy the free dining program, but I don't know who can go with me yet. My friend has gotten sick and hopefully will be better by November, but if not then sadly may not be able to join. I might also invite two other people to join but they don't know their schedule yet.

I have a few questions and sorry if they were already answered:

1. I know the free dining program is not worth it if you're a solo traveler because you're paying a higher price for the room. Is it worth it for two people? Or what's the breakeven point?

2. I also know that free dining is only for a limited number of rooms and they run out each year. Should I just grab a reservation for one now just in case the promotion gets sold out? will I be able to add my friends later or will they refuse to let me add guests if there is no more availablity for the offer?

3. I figure if I can't get my friends to join, and this turns in to a solo trip, I will just change my room to get rid of the free dining, and find another discount. Will they let me do this?

Thank you for your help! I tried reading through several threads but I couldn't find the answer. My friend said I should post my question here.

2. I also know that free dining is only for a limited number of rooms and they run out each year. Should I just grab a reservation for one now just in case the promotion gets sold out? will I be able to add my friends later or will they refuse to let me add guests if there is no more availability for the offer?
If you want "Free Dining" you need to grab it when it is offered. It really is only a $200 deposit with the final balance due 30 days before arrival. You can add or drop guests on your reservation with no issues until you get to the 30 day before arrival mark. After this magic date, you may be charged a change fee to add or drop others from your reservation.
3. I figure if I can't get my friends to join, and this turns in to a solo trip, I will just change my room to get rid of the free dining, and find another discount. Will they let me do this?
Sure just keep in mind the 30 days before arrival magic date for making easy changes to your plans.

Dave

The free dining promotion has very limited rooms. I would suggest, if the offer is still available that you book it for as many as possible (those that might come). The deposit would be $200 per room. Final payment would be due 30 days prior to the vacation package. You may also cancel a package up to 30 days prior for a full refund. Cancel 2-29 prior to arrival you will lose the $200 deposit.

You can modify a vacation package. When modifying within (I believe) 30 days of vacation, there may be a $50 fee to modify.

You can always look for a room discount should you find yourself traveling solo. Yes, you can change as stated above.

The number of people in a room to make the free dining plan worth it depends. If there are more than 2 adults (age 18 +), in same room there is an additional adult fee that applies.

It also depends on what category (value, moderat, deluxe) resort you want to stay at. Obviously, the value resorts will offer the lowest discount. I always use 20%, however a 10 to 15% is more likely.

You need to do a math problem. The dining plan requires rack rate room and a set number of day tickets, usually including a park hopper. (CM can quote you a package price for you.).

The room discount, you would still need tickets and meals. Add all these totals together.

We stay at value, (2 adults and 1 "Disney adult" (age 13) booking the free dining promotion. We upgrade to the next plan (going from quick service to 1 qs and 1 table service (about $25 more per night). Last year we saved close to $1,000 after doing all the math.

Happy planning.

There's a lot to think about... I went ahead and booked a room for four nights in November. It's good to know I can cancel anytime until 30 days before. I just don't want to miss out on this deal. I guess a $200 deposit isn't that bad. I was going to book two different dates just in case, but spending $400 this month on my credit card just seemed like a lot to pay.

I got the Disney Dining Plan (with 1 qs and 1 ts) too. Knowing my friends, it will be a lot easier to relax and just enjoy whatever food we want.

Now I just have to book some of the reservations. I can't believe how hard it is to get certain restaurants. It's only August and Ohana is booked solid on all our nights in November!

Is it a good deal to use the qs and snack credits at the Food and Wine Festival? I've never tried it before but I would be happy to try some new things.

Anyway, I am planning to go no matter what this time. I have tried to go with my friends for the past three years, but our schedules never lined up. So I decided I'll just book it and if anyone can join me then great. It's kind of scary thinking about going solo but if it comes down to it I don't want to miss out anymore.

The festival's are an excellent use of your dining credits. Using a quick service credit, you can trade for 3 snack items. This must be done all in one transaction. Alcoholic beverages are not included.I

The reason you are having trouble making dining reservations, they open up 180 days before your vacation.

Table service meals require reservations. Keep trying, people change plans all the time. Not necessarily every day, but try! I've had luck at 30 days (vacation packages need cancelled for full refund). 5 days out (rooms only need cancelled for full refund and finally 24 to 48 hours before you would like to dine (dining needs cancelled to avoid $10 no show\ cancellation fee per person.

Twenty or so years ago I had the same thing happen to me. Several canceled trips and missing out because getting others to commit in advance was hard. I started going solo. And still do. You will love a solo trip. I would book the trip as if you will be traveling solo and get the price of room you can afford on your own. Pop Century is great for solo travelers and so is Port Orleans Riverside. Really anywhere you can afford will be great. Then if your friends can come, let them pick up a room on their own at the same resort or you can look at changing resorts at that time. As to the dining plan, I find I can generally save more money by paying out of pocket because I seldom end up eating breakfast and usually only do 1 or 2 table services. However, I may break my own rule for my trip over Christmas week because I think the crowds will make it harder to do as much otherwise so I can take a break and relax over a meal. It means I can get steak and lobster if I want instead of fish and chips!

Don't be afraid to be a little selfish and plan the trip that works for YOU. You deserve it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter