Free Dining Throw Away Room

Everything would still be in the OP’s name. I would imagine the OP would just give their friend/family member one of their magic bands to enter the room. It wouldn’t affect the OP’s ability to use the dining plan.

Exactly, plan would be to give each of the two adults a magic band for getting in the room only. They wouldn't be able to get the 60 day fastpasses but they would be able to get a room for free. They also wouldn't be able to if they want a dining plan of their own if desired. I am just thinking its a chance to bless someone else instead of leaving it to sit empty.

Exactly, plan would be to give each of the two adults a magic band for getting in the room only.
I don't think this will be allowed. You are renting a room from Disney and you are not allowed to sub-let that room to another party.

There are some specific hotel laws in Florida that deal with hoteliers' rights and responsibilities, including their right and responsibility to know who is actually staying in their rooms.

My advice is for you to call Disney and ask them if you can give your MagicBands to another party so they can use the room. If it says Yes, you can do it, then go ahead with your plan. If Disney says No, then you need to change your plans.

Last edited:
You can run into problems having your MB linked to more than one room at once. I was at the front desk at Bay Lake once while a family was trying to deal with being locked out of their room. Turned out the problem is they were registered at more than one resort so when they checked in for one it locked them out of the other. Not sure if that is a common experience but something to consider.

Just thought of something - if your AP’s are linked to you MB, and they happen to scan your MB at the turnstiles, it may cause problems for you. Even if it was just an accident (scanned yours instead of theirs), it could cause your AP to get revoked if they try to verify your identity. Just a potential risk to be aware of.

I don't think this will be allowed. You are renting a room from Disney and you are not allowed to sub-let that room to another party.

There are some specific hotel laws in Florida that deal with hoteliers' rights and responsibilities, including their right and responsibility to know who is actually staying in their rooms.

My advice is for you to call Disney and ask them if you can give your MagicBands to another party so they can use the room. If it says Yes, you can do it, then go ahead with your plan. If Disney says No, then you need to change your plans.

Ok except that I am not subletting it to anyone, I am giving it. I am having "family over"

You can run into problems having your MB linked to more than one room at once. I was at the front desk at Bay Lake once while a family was trying to deal with being locked out of their room. Turned out the problem is they were registered at more than one resort so when they checked in for one it locked them out of the other. Not sure if that is a common experience but something to consider.

Thanks for mentioning that, I hadn't really though it would be an issue, but yes it could be.

They will also not get Magical Express.

They plan to rent a van because they are going to spend time going to the beach, so not a worry there.

I was thinking I could do something nice for family who can't really afford a trip themselves but there are definitely a lot of hoops to jump through/think of.

Yes, any room associated with a guest shows up and one can not have Magic Bands for two resorts. I do split stays and they have to check me out of room 1 before I can use my bands on room 2.

You are right, they may have trouble because all guests staying onsite need to be registered guests.

Ok, so taking us possibly giving our room away for a minute. Us booking the room and leaving it empty would still work? If I am understanding what people have said above, once we check into BayLake it would lock us out of All star Sports, which isn't a big deal because we wouldn't be going there and we would still get the free dining and the gift card for no cleaning. Correct thinking or not?

Ok, so taking us possibly giving our room away for a minute. Us booking the room and leaving it empty would still work? If I am understanding what people have said above, once we check into BayLake it would lock us out of All star Sports, which isn't a big deal because we wouldn't be going there and we would still get the free dining and the gift card for no cleaning. Correct thinking or not?

Possible, but not sure. It used to be no big issue. But now, they seem to have gotten more strict in how things work. During the split stays when I had the dining plan for each part, I had trouble i that I had to use up dining plan credits for one before the other kicked in. Was even told my credits for my second stay would kick in before I check in in to the second reservation as long as those initial credits were used. It wasn’t the case. It got fixed, but it was a hassle,

I think the problem is that I’m not sure if you’ll know if you will have a problem until you try to hold both rooms when you get there, Since you have to pay for the room To get the free dining, what is the difference between that and just adding it to your DVC reservation?

I think you need to weigh whether that difference is enough to try it and hope there aren’t issues. Like I said, I have had to be officially checked out before checking in,,,but I wanted to checked out,

In your case, you want to be checked in to both rooms for multiple days. IMO, you could have issues and I would be more worried that you could get stuck paying for the room...cancellations day of have certain rules and be forced to go without the dining plan.

As I listed at the beginning of this post, we would gain $744 in dining plan after paying for the room, as well as another $70 for no cleaning in the room. So we gain $814 for it. This was part of the reason why I put out this post to begin with to see if others had tried it as the numbers make sense.

As I listed at the beginning of this post, we would gain $744 in dining plan after paying for the room, as well as another $70 for no cleaning in the room. So we gain $814 for it. This was part of the reason why I put out this post to begin with to see if others had tried it as the numbers make sense.

Sorry. I should have gone back to read post #1..lol

Based on that, it would seem to be worth it, as long as Disney lets you have both rooms at the same time without issues.

I do know years ago people had done it. But that was before Magic Bands.

What if you used a variation of your names for the BLT reservation and your actual names for the throw away room, or vice versa. You would have to create profiles on my Disney experience for both names, but that way you could have different magic bands.

That way, you wouldn’t be using the same names to try and hold 2 rooms at the same time.

Piggy-backing on this thread. I've always wondered whether throwaway rooms to get "free" dining work. Next trip, we plan on getting APs since our stay will be two weeks and we may squeeze in a 2nd trip within the year, so that would satisfy the ticket requirement, but I see magic bands may be an issue.

I am surprised to hear that there is an instance that the throw away room still works for free dining. Every analysis I saw for several years showed otherwise unlike a decade or so ago whenever they started the different levels of free dining.

What if you used a variation of your names for the BLT reservation and your actual names for the throw away room, or vice versa. You would have to create profiles on my Disney experience for both names, but that way you could have different magic bands.

That way, you wouldn’t be using the same names to try and hold 2 rooms at the same time.

Problem is that one adult as to show their license when they check and they will adjust the reservation to match that person.

When I book duplicate nights for my split stays, I do switch around names so the lead guests are different, But this is so the reservation does not get canceled ahead of time,

One time, though, I had booked the room with my nickname and not my full name, and when we checked in, the CM adjusted it in the computer.
Not sure if this is normal or not,

If I was the OP, I might call and ask as a general question if a guest can pay for a free dining room and then also stay on a DVC reservstion with friends at the same time.

Ok here is the final answer for us. Disney said you can't be logged into two rooms at the same time. Now could we set up one adult with a different profile, then put 3 of my kids in the rooms so that we can get the free dining, but for me it seems like too much work and logistics. So we will just make an order of groceries. Of course I have never done that, so I don't know which service will be best? Publix, Amazon, DVC? As a Canadian and a new DVC member I am not familiar with ordering groceries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter