"Free from back problems" disclaimer?

Cheshire_cat

Mouseketeer
Okay - calling all people w/ back problems - which rides at Disney do you not do because of the disclaimer that you should be free of back problems?

Which rides have you done .....and then wished you hadn't becuase it aggravated your back? :sad2:

Thanks!

I don't have back problems. However, a few years ago I had a kidney removed. My doctor told me that I could go to the parks, but for the next six months if there was any sign which warned against pregnaant women, people with bad backs or people with heart conditions that the sign also applied to me.

Not wanting to damage my health I obeyed his orders.

I do not think anyone who wants to prevent further damage would go on an attraction which warns them against it for physical reasons.

However, each person is different. One think Disney instills into Cast Members is that Guest Safety takes precedence over everything else. Your question is a good one, but I can't think of many people who are active in this forum who would be able to answer your question.

Don't take any of this as sound medical advice because I don't know what your back problems are, but I had back surgery almost three years ago and have been to WDW about 7 times since then. I go on everything despite what the warnings said, I asked my doctor if I was okay to ride anything, he gave me the go - so I went all out.

Some rides that bothered me before I had my surgery, and still do now are Dinosaur (If you do ride it, request a seat in the middle of the back row because it won't jerk you as much), Primeval Whirl (when it spins, it can slam you into the side if you don't have a full car). If you're going to the water parks, I would avoid any slides (like summit plummet) that don't have a raft with them because most of the time your back ends up right on the slide and it can make things worse. Space Mountain can make me a little sore sometimes but no where near enough to make me not want to ride it.

I hope this answers some of your questions, let me know if you have any specific questions about rides that i've been on and been fine or had problems with!

I've never been able to ride any really rough rides because of muscle weakness. I have had orthopedic problems most of my life (severe scoliosis-125 degrees fused to 30 degrees-kyphosis, hip problems, joint deformities). The lack of muscle strength exacerbates the orthopodic problems on rides. I rode Kilimanjaro Safaris just fine. It is bumpy but not any worse then some roads in our full-size van. Pirates of the Caribbean and Splash Mountain were fine. Soarin' is definately no problem and one of the smoothest rides out there. Ironically, Haunted Mansion gave me the most problems because the turns are so jerky. The disability guide gives a thorough description of what movements rides make. Have fun!

Christamae

At disneyland in california I can't do......
Star Tours
Indiana Jones adventure
Matahorn
Autopia (I was hit from behind)
I do not have a diagnosed back problem but I have fibromyalgia and these rides cause severe back pain for me.

I guess I should mention that I have lupus - so some days, I'm fine. And then I'll have a flare-up and I'm not. So I want to be cautious and not over do but I don't want to miss out either. I probably wouldn't have done Soaring because it has a warning and I never would have thought that Haunted Mansion would be a problem but now that you mention it I remember that there are alot of quick turns. It's been 6 years since we've been to Disney, and I wasn't having these problem then.

What do you all think of Star Tours? I know that's one ride that my son will want to go on. If I'm remembering right, it was a visual, get-your-stomach type of ride. Any opinions?

Thanks for all your help!

In my opinion, Soarin should be fine, you sit in a straight backed chair and there is no jerkiness. Star Tours is a different story. It is a very jerky ride and you're only secured by a lap belt so there are a few chances there to jar your back or cause a flare up.

Seriouslydw - thanks for your help. I'll probably send DS w/ his dad for Star Tours.

JenJen - Love your bouncing Cheshire Cat!

My mom has lower back pain, it will go "out" on her if she gets jerked around and she has to go to a chiropractor to put it back "in".

She does Soarin' all the time with no problems.

She also recently did Test Track for the first time and had no trouble at all-she was 61 before she tried it, and it's now her favorite ride!

She can do Splash Mountain but not Thunder Mountain, that one really gets her. Also gets my dad, who's neck goes out when he's on big thunder. Ironically, he said while he never wants to go on Rock N Roller coaster ever again, it didn't bother his neck :)

I'd say both parents would have a very hard time on Dinosaur or that one next to Dinosaur that's like the carnival ride, the time travel one-even I hurt when I get off that one.

Thanks to the OP for asking this and for all your replies!! I have 3 herniated discs and there were a few rides I wasn't sure about (Big Thunder was one)

Kimba

I had cervical fusion about 10 years ago, so I guess the ride warnings might be meant to include me. I asked my doctor if I should worry about any restrictions & he said I was fine to do rides. However, the same problem that caused my neck issues is beginning to really affect my lower back (degenerative disc disease). I avoid the really jerky rides - Dinosaur, Star Tours, Primevil Whirl. I have been known to ride RnR up to 9 times in one morning with no ill effects.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter