Free Solo: One Man, One Day, Four Parks

Bahamontes

Mouseketeer
[Epic, dramatic narrator voice]
In a world where nothing seems the same, where once-loved nighttime spectaculars are replaced with new shows, where Chapek rules, and where not one person truly understands how to best wait in line for a ride, one man - with one day - will look for redemption in a French rodent.

[Regular voice. So much less exciting. Apologies.]
I had to be in Sebring for the inaugural 24 hour endurance race 11/19, so I drove down a day early to hit the parks. I wanted to try out Genie+/LL, and to ride Remy (and MMRR for the first time, since it was down on my last HS trip this summer)

I stayed off property for the first time since 1987, and it was…. fine, I guess. The hotel was a Marriott Fairfield about 5 miles East on I4, and I got it for $44/night on Priceline, so I kept telling myself it was more than a zero less than BC. I didn’t realize how much I enjoy the bubble, and I can’t figure out exactly why. It’s not the theming, and I’m always joking that BC is an older Westin at St. Regis pricing, and transportation was easy from the Fairfield.

I’ll think on it some more, but do any of y’all know what I mean?

On to the trip:
I was in the HS parking lot a bit after 8, and was past the taps before 9. I forgot to wind Mickey, so I’m not sure of the exact time, but I got him settled shortly. Got a LL for MFSR at 10:20, so I rode ST and M3D with no wait before grabbing a ronto and walking over to the Falcon. Standby was 45-60 minutes depending on whether you believe TP or MDE. AND I WALKED ON. No wait. One other LL rider way ahead of me. I was sad to have missed the queue up to Hondo, but nit THAT sad! Got assigned pilot, and traded with a kid who was bummed to be the gunner.

Grabbed a Fuzzy Tauntaun, and asked for extra foam. The bartender was happy to make me look like a recreational Novocain user. Washed that down with a Yub Nub, and she gave me a wink and told me to keep the mug!! Obviously, she noticed the Mickey watch; no woman can resist.

Feeling JUST FINE after Oga’s, I stumbled - I mean strolled casually - over to MMRR. 35 minutes posted; 28 minutes actual.

RotR and SDD were both down all day, so the crowds elsewhere - even on a low traffic day like this one - rose accordingly. I wasn’t really up to do TSMM alone, so I caught a bus to AK and waited for 2pm.

Used my first ILL$ for FoP and got a 3:20 slot. The skies threatened to go from drizzly to rainy, so there was little to no wait for EE or KS. Scarfed down some McSatuli’s Cheeseburger Pods and nearly walked right on to FoP - probably a 10 minute wait once inside before I got to hear everyone’s um, favorite, um, preshow. I’m going to gloss over KiteTails and pretend I never saw it, and that somehow I’m in a better universe where it does not exist.

Got on a bus to MK at the exact moment the rain really hit, and walked around for an hour or two. Booked my second ILL$ for Remy at 7:10, so I rode PotC and somehow got on SM with a 20 minute wait. Main Street was already filling up, so I monorail’d it on over to the place where every person comes out tired.

I snacked pretty hard at F&W carts (surf and turf with Le Cellier steak and Hops & Barley lobster roll; I’m very fancy) on my way to France. The whole IG area is transformed, and really looks special. Remy was down (VERY temporarily, the CM assured me) so I was told that my reservation would be honored at any point that night once they were back on track(less).

This gave me an excuse to enjoy two of the most underrated rides anywhere on my way to my (unnecessary) Soarin LL. If you always skip The Seas or LwtL, you’re blowing it. Those rides SLAP.

Got an MDE alert that Remy was back open, so I walked across the park (again) and was whisked away to Gusteau's -sans attendre!! It’s a lovely ride, and if I had to knock it in any way, I’d only say that I was unsure how “Epcot” it was. Then again, there’s never a wait for LwtL, so maybe I’m not the best judge.

Still had some time before Harmonious, so I walked to Ale & Compass and enjoyed a massive glass of bourbon while scoping out the YC/BC lobbies. The carousel always blows me away, because that’s just a lot of fondant.

Caught Harmonious from the very front of the World Showcase, and had almost no crowds. I liked the show a lot, but if I wasn’t dead center and up front, I feel like my mind would wander pretty quickly.

My experience with the Genie+/ILL was universally positive, and a great way for me to do the parks. I’m usually with one other person, and the time saved could mean a much nicer trip. Throw in three kids, an uncle, grandma and grandpa, though, and it could add up fast.

I was glad to be able to move around as much as I did without worrying about a travel buddy, but I’m not sure solo Disney is for me. For y’all who love it, tell me what I did wrong (other than rush through 4 parks and walk 14.3 miles in a day)!1B6D94A5-987F-4EA2-BFBB-FFFCA5ED9EC9.jpegE068D26B-D42F-4A86-A05D-0923DA343614.jpeg8AA68D8A-0613-49D5-80E7-E235EA1EABAE.jpeg0CFA5A3D-8142-43AF-B7E7-8B898FC892C6.jpeg

Fun (& busy!) day! You made great use of your time! I know what you mean about staying on property. There's something about being in the Disney bubble that is just so nice. But $44 is quite a deal - especially when spending so much time in the parks. Beach Club right now is routinely $6-700+ a night and it's getting to the point that I just can't justify it. Super nice of you to let that boy be pilot. Love the Tauntaun drink and how cool of the bartender to gift you the Ewok mug! Huge Living with the Land fan here too! I really enjoy visiting Disney solo but I'm more of a food, shopping, people watching, soak in the atmosphere kind of person vs. a ride enthusiast. I'm also semi-local so I can visit a lot and can just go for an afternoon.

Sounds like a fun but busy day. I'm also a bubble person, can't explain it, especially since I rarely took advantage of the extra stuff on site people used to get. I actually like Disney transportation and being able to park my car at the resort and not get in it again until I leave but I think I might be the exception on that one.

I go solo a lot, I have a trip coming up next week solo. I do go often (or I did in the before times) since I live about a 7 hour drive away. This will be my third trip this year (making up for not getting to go to any festivals the year before) my second solo this year. Like pp I'm not really ride centric. I do ride rides and don't really minding waiting in line for them, again different from most people. I almost always go during a festival and love walking around the booths eating myself into a coma and go to Epcot every single day of every single trip. I love exploring all the little paths at AK and really just taking time in that park and looking at all the details. And don't get me started on Nomad Lounge. I love going to HS at night, especially at Christmas and seeing it all lit up. I can, and have, gotten on and off ToT over and over. And don't get me started on HBD lounge. I love going to the shows at all the parks, something I can't do when my son is with me. I must go on CoP every single trip and I actually enjoy climbing Swiss Family Robinson Tree House. Main St. at night is so special and I love just walking around a looking at the details. Then there is Epcot, LWTL might be my favorite ride and I can spend hours at the aquarium just looking at the fish. SSE is another ride I don't miss even though she is looking a little worn. And don't get me started on La Cava in Mexico. See a theme here? I like me a good lounge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter