Freedom of the Seas

Shanna-like-Banana

DIS Veteran
Hi to all,

I'm a newbie to this board.

This will be my 2nd cruise and DH's first.

We are booked on Freedom of the Seas

We have an ocean view balcony on the 8th floor.

It's the western carribean route that leaves Ft. Lauderdale and goes to Labadee, Haiti and Falmouth Jamaica.

Looking just hints, tips, to-dos, skip this, etc

Specifically looking for something that directly spells out what is NOT included and how much those things are.

We've read that Labadee is a private island owned by the cruise line, but get conflicting info.

We've already read that Falmouth isn't the greatest stop over. Pretty much stay in the gated port area and only book excursions through the ship only.

Any info would be great

Thanks !

There are other ports on the FOS Western route along with Labadee and Falmouth...Grand Cayman and Cozumel are also included (I leave on FOS in just a few weeks for this same route).

I've been on FOS before (albeit about 5 years ago) and my husband and I just loved this ship. We did the Eastern route with our two kids but this trip is just DH and I.

Like most mainstream cruise lines, there are extra costs associated with some things such as specialty dining (Chops, the steakhouse...Portofino for Italian...Johnny Rockets for casual burgers) and they charge for soda (but you can buy a soda 'card')

I agree with the previous poster that there is a ton of information on Cruise Critic, including posts of the Navigators for FOS that will give a good idea of what there will be to do.

We have been on the Freedom and loved it. Labadee is a strip of private beach in Haiti controlled by RCCL. Their are many activities you can purchase, or just relax on the beach. In Jamaica, I would recommend going to Dunn's River Falls if you are physically active. This was the falls in the James Bond film Dr. No that shown with Connery and Andress. It is a cascading waterfall that you walk up with a guide. Take a waterproof disposable camera and a waterproof container to put your IDs and valuables in. We went years ago, but this was the only island that we had to take our passports and the authorities searched our belongings before we were allowed back on the ship. If you do stop at Grand Cayman Island, I recommend visiting Stingray City. A boat takes you to a calm sand bottom area where you get into the water and feed stingrays. They are VERY gentle creatures that will actually swim up into your arms. See if the tour stops in the little tourist trap called "Hell." It is a patch of rock formations, but they have a little shop and post office that will sell you postcards you can mail home. They will stamp it, so you actually sent a post card from Hell:laughing:

we returned from doing a B2B on FOS in sept, loved it...14 days was just not long enough!

best money spent was getting an over the water cabana in labadee, DH still raves about it.:banana:

Also if you are into fitness, their on board at the gym boot camp is awesome:thumbsup2

FOS ...love it!

Hopefully they will bring a freedom class boat out to the pacific, as orlando is just getting too far to travel to every year for our cruising fix!

We just booked FOS for June, but were on that itinerary on Oasis of the Seas last year.

One quick note... FOS sails out of Port Carnival, not Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale).

DW & I got an over the water cabana on Labadee last year... OH, so awesome! But they sell out quick! There's lots of stuff to do on Labadee, from active (zip line, roller coaster, kayak tours, jet ski tours) to just sitting on the beach.

I agree with going over to cruise critic. They have a forum for each area (Jamaica, Mexico, private islands, etc). SO much information over there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter