Fresh fruit in flight carry-on bag?

knlasv

Mouseketeer
Would I be ok to bring oranges in my carry on bag? We are flying Spirit. I don't want to put them in my checked luggage for fear of them getting smashed.
TSA says
"Carry On Bags:
Yes (Special Instructions)
Checked Bags:
Yes
Solid food items (not liquids or gels) can be transported in either your carry-on or checked bags within the continental United States. Liquid or gel food items larger than 3.4 oz are not allowed in carry-on bags and should be placed in your checked bags if possible.
Passengers flying from Hawaii, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands to the U.S. mainland cannot take most fresh fruits and vegetables due to the risk of spreading invasive plant pests."

First double check your destination to be sure that the fruit is allowed.

If you do not have a carryon then put the fruit in a handbag or other small satchel referred to as the "personal item" and meeting the size restrictions for same.

Oranges are not considered liquid items.

Last edited:

I will be traveling Cleveland to Orlando and bringing oranges. Thanks for the responses!

and the juice business is failing too .... locally our last processor closed shop. From local news:

One of only a handful of orange juice-processing plants left in Florida has stopped processing fruit in yet another sign of the havoc that imported juice, diseases and Hurricane Irma have had on the fortunes of the state’s signature crop.
Officials at U.S. Sugar-owned Southern Gardens Citrus announced the end of processing at its plant in southwest Florida on Tuesday, a month before the start of the next growing season in Florida.
Southern Gardens will have its fruit processed at other plants. It will bring the juice back for storage and then distribution to its customers. Shipping, growing and research operations also will continue at the plant, company officials said.
Company officials said the plant was built a quarter century ago to process 20 million boxes of fruit, but it only processed 6.5 million boxes of citrus last year.
Like many in Florida's citrus industry, Southern Gardens has been hurt by a flood of imported orange juice from Brazil and Mexico, company officials said.
Citrus diseases and Hurricane Irma in 2017 caused drops in the number of citrus Florida produces and that void has been filled with juice imported from Brazil and Mexico. Most of Florida's oranges are used to produce juice.
"Our processing plant was built to efficiently produce much more juice than we can sell due to the current market situation, something that, unfortunately, has become common throughout the Florida industry," Southern Gardens president Dan Casper said in a statement.
Florida Citrus Mutual, the industry's advocacy group, said Florida now has seven major citrus processing plants left in the state, down from around 30 processors two decades ago.

Wait. You're brining oranges to the state that produces the most oranges? ;)

I thought that too, but every orange I’ve purchased in Florida has “grown in California” stickers on them.

There is also a quarantine and import restrictions regarding citrus. See https://www.fdacs.gov/Divisions-Off.../Citrus-Quarantine-and-Disease-Detection-Maps

Doesn’t say you can’t bring fruit in. Next to the restriction on importing plant parts it says “except USDA inspected and certified fruit” and the later mentions of restrictions are for moving it within or out of Florida.

Doesn’t say you can’t bring fruit in. Next to the restriction on importing plant parts it says “except USDA inspected and certified fruit” and the later mentions of restrictions are for moving it within or out of Florida.

It actually states “

Citrus Plants or Plant Parts – Movement into and out of Florida

Citrus plants or plant parts (except USDA inspected and certified fruit) from other states, territories or countries may not enter Florida.”

3 points of note:

1. The language specified movement INTO the state.
2. Fruit is considered a plant part, as specified in the quote.
3. Uninspected/uncertified fruit may not enter the state.

Keep safe, and please keep potentially contaminated citrus out of the state.

I thought that too, but every orange I’ve purchased in Florida has “grown in California” stickers on them.

I don't know how you'd get caught bringing it in, but the ban includes the oranges because of Asian citrus psyllid.

Last edited:
I just checked the TSA can I bring list, put oranges in the search box, and it said no to carry ons but ok to checked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!