Frightfully Fun October Exercise Challenge

It's happy dance time for sophy1996, PollyannaMom, Elizabeth Smith, me, and the TEAM for reaching BOO TO YOU BLUE!!!!!! party:

Next on our list of Disney Halloween movies is SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES. This movie, " . . . a 1983 Walt Disney Productions release, is an adaptation of Ray Bradbury's same-named novel. Bradbury, one of the masters of modern science fiction, also wrote the screenplay.

A traveling carnival comes to town, and like most small-town kids, Will and Jim can't wait to go see everything the sideshows have to offer. And also, like many small-town kids, the boys are unable to control their enthusiasm and curiosity, so they sneak into the carnival and make some terrifying discoveries.

The owner of the carnival is the aptly-named Mr. Dark, whose fancy is evilly seducing carnival-goers with the lure of fulfilling their darkest desires.

The film is very dark, very un-Disney-like, and delves deeply into the age old good vs. evil issue, and the powerful influence that greed can hold over the best of us.

The late Jack Clayton directed, with Jason Robards, Jonathan Pryce, Diane Ladd and Royal Dano among the cast members." (DISDB)

I must have watched this one as a child because I remember some scenes from the trailer:

It's interesting to see this darker side to Disney. I wasn't aware it had one!

Last edited:
I am taking a long weekend and heading to the middle of nowhere. I will try to update one more time tomorrow if I have time after packing, but if not, it might be mid next week before I can check in. I will have to drive to the nearest town and visit a coffee shop if I want wifi. Wishing you all a beautiful weekend! :wave:

Last edited:

I am taking a long weekend and heading to the middle of nowhere. I will try to update one more time tomorrow if I have time after packing, but if not, it might be mid next week before I can check in. I will have to drive to the nearest town and visit a coffee shop if I want wifi. Wishing you all a beautiful weekend! :wave:

Have a great time!

I really impressed myself today. I had already eaten lunch by the time my lunch break came around today, so I decided to exercise a little in the gym at work.
+30
110/660

We have a couple of new color changes to celebrate today. Congrats to Shrfleen for reaching BOO TO YOU BLUE and to me for reaching JACK-O-LANTERN ORANGE !!! :rainbow: And that brings us to my favorite Disney Halloween movie, THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS. I wish we had Jack and Sally emojis, but we don't so just imagine them here.

"Produced by Tim Burton and directed by Henry Selick, 1993's The Nightmare Before Christmas is anything but just another holiday film. But then with Burton's resume (Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands) viewers shouldn't be surprised. One of the first big-screen productions to make heavy use of stop motion animation, this musical fantasy is now hailed as the "Godfather" of the technique. The film has an eerie, unexplainable "feel" to it, and Burton's sense of the macabre is evident, although it manages to not disrespect or cheapen the subject matter.

The film opens In Halloween Town, which should provide a hint as to the direction Burton and Selick intend to take us. Sure enough, owing to the ignorance of the "citizens" of Halloween Town regarding Christmas, the two holidays become entwined, leading to some unlikely scenarios. The Nightmare Before Christmas offers something for every audience, with the special effects especially dazzling. The musical soundtrack by Danny Elfman is concise and razor-sharp lyrically, reminiscent of the 1982 musical, Little Shop of Horrors.

This film was originally released under Touchstone Pictures, but is now associated with Walt Disney Pictures." (DISDB)

As a huge fan of this movie (I own the soundtrack, the movie, various decorations, a trivial pursuit game, and a few articles of clothing), I am happy to share this trailer with those who might not be familiar with the show:

And for those who are familiar with the movie:

Finally, to see you through the next few days of me not checking in:

I'm back! I have 80 minutes to add from my trip for a new total of 435/930. As suspected, my ankle didn't really want to hike all that much. Relaxing and gazing at the scenery was fun, too, though.

It looks like we had a few color changes while I was gone. Elizabeth Smith, sophy1996, and the TEAM reached JACK-O-LANTERN ORANGE! Yay!!!! :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

And that brings us to another popular Disney Halloween movie, HOCUS POCUS! "A spin on the infamous 17th-Century Salem Witch Trials is the focus of the 1993 Walt Disney Pictures fantasy-comedy Hocus Pocus.

Salem, Mass. 1693: Three sisters (deemed witches by townspeople) are publicly hanged after allegedly killing another girl and transforming the slain girl's brother into a talking cat. Dissolve to Salem, Mass. 1993, October 31st (Halloween) to be precise.

New high school student Max isn't adjusting well to his new school or classmates. Apparently Max is an object of ridicule because he scoffs at the legend of the three witches, which is held to be a "sacred truth" in Salem. Reluctantly, Max agrees to accompany his younger sister on her "trick-or-treat"-ing rounds, where they become involved in strange goings-on at the house where the three 17th-Century "witch" sisters lived.

Hocus Pocus has developed somewhat of a cult following over the years. The cast is solid, led by Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kathy Najimy, Omri Katz and Thora Birch. Legendary TV producer/director Garry Marshall has a cameo as the Devil." (DISDB)

HOCUS POCUS is such a fun movie. If you haven't seen it yet, perhaps this trailer will tempt you to do so:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts