From the World to the Land... A Duo of Dining Reports! Updated 1/28

sahu

Mouseketeer
Hello and welcome to my first dining report! I seem to be impervious to heat, so I recently went to WDW in late August and DLR two weeks later. Just kidding about the heat thing - I felt the heat in Florida, but it made California seem so cool and comfortable after, so it was worth it. My husband and I are two Haunted Mansion-loving Disney foodies, but he doesn't like his picture on the internet so you'll have to imagine! We hit up a ton of restaurants over our two and a half weeks of Disney, and I'm excited to share our thoughts (and pictures!) with y'all!

Restaurants visited:
WDW:
Hollywood Brown Derby
Oga’s Cantina
Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’
Sanaa
Satuli Canteen
Ale & Compass
Kona Cafe
California Grill brunch
Via Napoli
Roaring Fork
Pecos Bills
Be Our Guest
Columbia Harbor House
Victoria & Albert’s
Tiffins
Ohana
Blaze Pizza
The Wave
D-Luxe Burger

DLR:
GCH Craftsman Grill
Blue Bayou
Lamplight Lounge
Cafe Orleans
In N Out
Plaza Inn
Carthay Circle
Corn Dog Castle
Award Wieners
Cozy Cone Motel
Carnation Cafe

We started our August journey with an early flight to Florida and arrived around 9:30am. After picking up our rental car and dropping off our bags at All-Star Movies (the first of three hotels we would stay at), we were on our way to Hollywood Studios! We rode Toy Story Mania before heading off to lunch at the Hollywood Brown Derby. I wasn't super hungry and didn't want a huge entree, so I ordered the Grilled Wagyu Beef Burger (Gruyère, Pastrami, Heirloom Tomato, Avocado, Fried Egg, Toasted Brioche, Cognac-Mustard Aïoli, Steak Fries), sans pastrami and fried egg. This was a perfectly serviceable burger - a bit bland, but I imagine a lot of the flavor was supposed to come from the pastrami and fried egg that I omitted, so I won't hold it against them. The fries were delicious though!

My husband ordered the Ginger-Lemon Grass Pho (Ginger-Lemon Grass Broth, Mushroom and Tofu Spring Rolls, Ginger-Soy Dipping Sauce). He's a pescatarian, as I'm sure you will notice, and he loved this! He said the spring rolls were especially delicious.

After that, we did Slinky Dog Dash, Star Tours, and swapped a Tower of Terror FP for a much needed Muppetvision FP (I was feeling wimpy and I love Muppets) before trying to get in early for our Galaxy's Edge preview, which was the whole reason for this addition to our existing trip. They denied us, so we went to Pizzarizzo for a soda and to cool off while waiting about half an hour. Before we knew it, we were inside Galaxy's Edge! Our first stop was to poke around the marketplace before heading to Oga's Cantina. We got a great table with a view of DJ Rex. My husband refused to let me have two souvenir mugs, so I decided to get the Yub Nub (Malibu Pineapple Rum, Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum, Citrus Juices, and Passion Fruit), which he ordered and drank. I took a sip of it and thought it was very good. I ordered the non-alcoholic Cliff Dweller (Citrus Juices, Coconut, Hibiscus-Grenadine, and Seagram's® Ginger Ale) without the mug, which was DELICIOUS. I ordered a different drink (the Hyperdrive) at Oga's in Disneyland and it was basically just Powerade. I should have ordered the Cliff Dweller again!

After that, we explored SWGE, rode the Falcon twice, and decided to call it a day. For some reason, we didn't eat dinner at Docking Bay 7, mostly because nothing sounded good to my husband, so we decided to head to Disney Springs. However, once we were in the car, the exhaustion hit us (we had been up since 3am! I actually hadn't slept at all because I was nervous about not waking up for our flight) and we made an executive decision to hit up the Disney McDonald's. This was an excellent choice. I ate a McChicken and didn't take pictures. You probably know what a McChicken looks like! We then headed back to the hotel and settled in, soon to be fast asleep.

Joining in. How ever did you ride the Falcon twice? No lines? Eas it late? We will be there Saturday, and I can't wait

Following along...Looking forward to your Ale & Compass report...we're thinking of trying it on our next trip down!

Great report! Super jealous of your coast to coast adventure. Your restaurant line up is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!

Following along!

Grilled Wagyu Beef Burger (Gruyère, Pastrami, Heirloom Tomato, Avocado, Fried Egg, Toasted Brioche, Cognac-Mustard Aïoli, Steak Fries), sans pastrami and fried egg. This was a perfectly serviceable burger - a bit bland, but I imagine a lot of the flavor was supposed to come from the pastrami and fried egg that I omitted, so I won't hold it against them.

I got that burger once, and also thought it was a bit bland too. Idk if what they put on it actually helps (I had mine without pastrami or aioli), but I don't remember thinking it was as good as I'd hoped.

You're off to a great start! Can't wait to hear and see more of your adventures.
Thanks for joining in!
Joining in. How ever did you ride the Falcon twice? No lines? Eas it late? We will be there Saturday, and I can't wait
We had the last preview slot on the last day of previews, so waits were pretty short by the time we made it over there. About 20 minutes for the Falcon each time! We actually ended up leaving early because we were tired - we could have ridden a forth time!
Following along...Looking forward to your Ale & Compass report...we're thinking of trying it on our next trip down!
Thanks for joining! We were to Ale & Compass for breakfast actually, and it was great! I definitely want to go back for lunch or dinner sometime.
Great report! Super jealous of your coast to coast adventure. Your restaurant line up is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you!
Following along!
I got that burger once, and also thought it was a bit bland too. Idk if what they put on it actually helps (I had mine without pastrami or aioli), but I don't remember thinking it was as good as I'd hoped.
Thanks for joining! Yeah, it was the best burger I've ever had for sure!

We slept in the next day before heading to a late lunch at Sanaa. Warning: if you are opposed to half-eaten pictures of food, do NOT read this report. I kept forgetting to take pictures before we ate! We had never been to Sanaa before, and the bread service did not disappoint! My favorites were the spiciest option (I think it was the red chile sambal) and the pickled garlic, but they were all delicious! I'm honestly disappointed that it took us so long to get out to Sanaa and try this. It was DELICIOUS.
IMG_0108.JPG

For our entree, my husband and I shared the Potjie Inspired with two options from the Journey. He got the Goan seafood curry and the aloo masala (I think) and I got the butter chicken. You can add an extra option from the Journey for a slight upcharge. My husband enjoyed his food, although he didn't love that the shrimp were cut in half in the curry, and I thought my butter chicken was pretty good, but nothing special. The bread service will keep us coming back for sure though!

IMG_1826.JPG

We then headed over to Animal Kingdom and rode the safari, Dinosaur, Navi River Journey, and Expedition Everest, along with catching a showing of It's Tough to be a Bug. Before we left we headed over to Satuli Canteen for dinner. My husband ordered the
Chili-Spiced Crispy Fried Tofu Bowl with the potato base.

IMG_7067.JPG

I wasn't super hungry, so I ordered the "Teylu" All-Beef Hot Dog Wrapped in Dough.

IMG_5214.JPG

My hot dog was pretty good for a hot dog wrapped in dough, although the dough was a little tough to chew through. My husband found the bowl to be hearty and liked the sauce, but he didn't think the tofu was very spicy, which was a bit of a disappointment.

The next day we went to Ale & Compass for breakfast. For us, the breakfast buffet was a good value at $23, since it included an entree and a drink, plus the opportunity to go up to the buffet. I totally forgot to take pictures of the buffet or what we got, but there are great shots here: https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/review-ale-compass-restaurant-at-disneys-yacht-club-resort/

I found the food at the buffet to be generally fine. Most of the pastries were a little cold, and the cheddar biscuits that I was excited for were a little dry. I do think we got our money's worth though, so it wasn't a bad deal! Our entrees more than made up for the mediocre buffet.

For our entrees, I got the American Breakfast (Two Eggs Any-Style, choice of Sausage or Bacon served with Potatoes or fresh Fruit). This was pretty good! The potatoes were excellent and well-cooked, the eggs weren't powdery, and the sausage was great.

IMG_3863.JPG

My husband's entree was the star though. He ordered the Dark Chocolate Waffle (Dried Cherry Compote, Espresso-Mascarpone Cream, Chocolate Shavings, and a choice of Bacon or Sausage). These were AMAZING. The chocolate was rich without being overwhelmingly sweet and the espresso mascarpone cream was a nice accent. I can't recommend these enough and would encourage you to make a special trip to Ale & Compass just for these.

IMG_2353.JPG

After that, we headed over to Epcot and hit most of the big rides before an early dinner at Via Napoli. This was another new to us restaurant. I've heard a few horror stories of how long it takes to get seated here, but we only waited a few minutes. I ordered the pepperoni pizza, and I thought it was great! The crust was perfect.

IMG_4464.JPG

My husband ordered the Carciofi Pizza (white pizza - artichoke, fontina, mozzarella, truffle oil). He thought it was pretty good, but it wasn't his favorite pizza he's ever eaten.

IMG_4768.JPG

That's all for this installment! Next up: a day where both meals were eaten at the Kona Cafe.

Nice beginning! Looking forward to your DL reviews :)

We haven't been back to Sanaa in awhile but your bread service picture reminded me we need to!

You just hit three of my favorites in one post so I can't wait for me!!! We are contemplating going to DL next year and haven't been in over 10 years so especially excited to hear about that.

Nice beginning! Looking forward to your DL reviews :)

We haven't been back to Sanaa in awhile but your bread service picture reminded me we need to!

WDW dining is all around better than DL, but there were some standouts at DL I can't wait to write about!

You just hit three of my favorites in one post so I can't wait for me!!! We are contemplating going to DL next year and haven't been in over 10 years so especially excited to hear about that.

Ha! I actually told my husband to get the pizza he ordered at Via Napoli based on your reviews of it! Carthay Circle and especially Lamplight Lounge would be a must for you at DL!

Following along, great start!

The bread service will keep us coming back for sure though!

Yes, definitely! I have started to go with just bread service and an appetizer here, it's the perfect amount of food.

I'm also looking forward to your DL reviews because we have decided to go to DL next year and we've never been before.

We originally planned this trip as a December trip and then switched it to an August trip about 40 days out, which is a feat when you're DVC! I booked a triple stay originally, and then managed to piece together a trip that just had an arrival day at the Poly and then the rest of the trip at Copper Creek. Of course, then they announced the dates to AP previews for Galaxy's Edge and we added on even more to our trip! Today was the day we switched to the Poly, and we celebrated by going to my husband's favorite restaurant, Kona Cafe, twice. For breakfast I had the Tonga Toast (Banana-stuffed French Toast rolled in Cinnamon Sugar and served with a Strawberry Compote and your choice of Ham, Spiced Ham, Bacon, or Sausage) as I always do. I love Tonga Toast (pro tip: they'll serve it at lunch if you ask nicely!) and this didn't disappoint. I never finish it though, which my husband enjoys because he loves it too.
IMG_8090.JPG

My husband ordered the Macadamia Nut Pancakes (with Macadamia Nut Butter, Pineapple Sauce, and your choice of Ham, Spiced Ham, Bacon, or Sausage). These pancakes are stuffed with more macadamia nuts than you would even expect, especially for the price. He thinks these are amazing, but the portion is huge, which paired with having to eat half of my Tonga Toast means we end up leaving a bunch of food behind here.
IMG_2966.JPG

After that, we headed over the Magic Kingdom, rode some rides, and saw the Country Bears. I remember this being an especially hot day, so we headed out not long after using our three Fastpasses and it was back to the Kona Cafe for dinner. My husband loves the sushi here, so we almost always come here on our trips. I ordered the Crispy Cheddar Cheeseburger (Smothered in Crispy Cheddar, Brown Sugar-Black Pepper Bacon, Roasted Tomato, Braised Onions). I had already destroyed it by the time I thought to take a picture, so here's one from Disney Food Blog. This was not good. The burger portion and the bacon were fine, but the crispy cheddar was gross and ruined the whole burger. The fries were also just bad, and seemed like they came out of Cosmic Ray's. Cosmic Ray's is probably better! These were just awful, worse than quick service fries. I was appalled, like how do you mess up french fries? The burger was okay once I removed the crispy cheddar, but I should have gone with my instincts and ordered the steak. I just wasn't that hungry and didn't want to eat a huge steak at the time. I would still go back to Kona Cafe, but I would definitely order something different.

kona-cafe-january-2019-lunch-crispy-cheddar-burger-2.jpg

Of course, here is the reason why I will definitely return to Kona Cafe! My husband ordered the Kona Sampler Large (Tuna Poke, Three (3) pieces of Nigiri, Three (3) pieces of Sashimi, and Five (5) pieces of our California Roll). As usual, he loved it and thinks it's better than California Grill sushi. Questioned on this point while I write this, he says it is definitely better than the sushi on the brunch buffet, but "different" from the sushi at the restaurant since he thinks this is more traditional and CG is more Americanized. Both are good in his book!

IMG_5949.JPG

We spent the evening swimming and watching the fireworks on the beach. The next day, we got dropped on bags off at the Wilderness Lodge and checked in before heading over to my second most anticipated reservation of the entire trip: California Grill brunch! I snagged this reservation originally for our December trip and was VERY ANNOYED to have to give it up when my husband wanted to switch the trip to August. Luckily, reservation finders came through and I managed to snag a reservation! Unfortunately this was also the day my husband started to feel a cold hit, so it was more subdued excitement. The buffet was full of delicious food, and here is a picture of my plate. The standout here was the guava turnover. I could have eaten seven of them! Of course, I had to save room for the entrees, so I only ate one. My husband, an avowed sushi fan, enjoyed the all you can eat sushi.

IMG_0672.JPG

Not pictured is the Blueberry-Lemon Drop Martini my husband ordered, which he loved. It tasted like fresh squeezed lemonade and even through his illness he could have easily drank three of them. This was the first day of the dining plan starting, which my husband loves because he feels like he's drinking for free. The math worked out with our dining choices this trip, even with using two credits here! For our entrees, I ordered the Steak and Eggs (Two Eggs-Any Style, Charred Tomato Barbecue, House-made Hash Brown, Lime Aïoli). These were great! The steak was juicy and tender, and the lime aioli was a nice complement to the steak. I barely touched the eggs, but they were fine. The little hashbrown was also delicious and tasted like a gourmet McDonald's hash brown (HIGH PRAISE).

IMG_0049.JPG

To share we got the Pineapple-Coconut Stuffed French Toast (Cream Cheese Filling, Pineapple Compote). This was not bad. It seemed a little bland for what it was, but was pretty good. It just didn't hold a candle to the next entree, the STAR of the meal.

IMG_0431.JPG

My husband ordered the Peach Pancakes (Whiskey Marinated, Oat Crumble, Chantilly Cream). These were amazing. They were the best pancakes I've ever eaten in my life. Perfectly fluffy, with the delicious peaches to really take them over the top. I was stuffed, but to this day I regret not ordering a second order of these.

IMG_1033.JPG

Also of note: the couple next to us seemed to be running some harebrained scheme on the California Grill. They kept ordering more entrees, taking a single bite, asking for it to be boxed up, and then ordering more entrees. This was definitely weird, but the weirdest part was the guy's justification for this while ordering another entree was he "wasn't doing pepper right now," said in a STRONG New York accent. My husband and I contained our laughter at the time, but NOT DOING PEPPA became an in-joke during the whole trip!

We were going to go to Disney Springs for the afternoon, but as we were driving back from California Grill, a small miracle occurred: I got our room ready text! It was only around 12:30, so very early, but it was such a blessing with how sick my husband felt, so we went to the room and he napped while I unpacked. We rested for the rest of the day before finally heading over to Disney Springs for some shopping and a dinner at Blaze Pizza. We have Blaze Pizza at home, but we love it, so it seemed like a great use of quick service credits.

I ordered a pizza with roasted red peppers and pesto, which is delicious and my favorite. I usually add roasted garlic too but my husband forgot. Oh well! Still delicious. I do eventually get better at taking pictures of food before eating, btw.

IMG_2429.JPG

My husband got a pizza with spicy red sauce, goat cheese, mushrooms, kalamata olives, roasted garlic, artichoke, and spinach. He loved it just as much as he does at home.
IMG_7306.JPG

For an evening snack, I got something I had heard a lot about here on the Dis, especially from @ariane37 - a magic bar! Needless to say, it was delicious and lived up to the hype, but very sweet! I couldn't eat two of these back to back for sure.

MkgA2Dq

I am joining in.

My husband refused to let me have two souvenir mugs, so I decided to get the Yub Nub (Malibu Pineapple Rum, Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum, Citrus Juices, and Passion Fruit), which he ordered and drank.
I want to get this one, next time we are there.

d we made an executive decision to hit up the Disney McDonald's. This was an excellent choice. I ate a McChicken and didn't take pictures. You probably know what a McChicken looks like! We then headed back to the hotel and settled in, soon to be fast asleep.
Ha! I don't understand how this didn't get a picture and post!

We slept in the next day before heading to a late lunch at Sanaa. Warning: if you are opposed to half-eaten pictures of food, do NOT read this report. I kept forgetting to take pictures before we ate! We had never been to Sanaa before, and the bread service did not disappoint! My favorites were the spiciest option (I think it was the red chile sambal) and the pickled garlic, but they were all delicious! I'm honestly disappointed that it took us so long to get out to Sanaa and try this. It was DELICIOUS.
IMG_0108.JPG
Well, it looks like you hated it from thise picture! One of my favorites!

For our entree, my husband and I shared the Potjie Inspired with two options from the Journey. He got the Goan seafood curry and the aloo masala (I think) and I got the butter chicken. You c
I perfer to get the other things on the menu here. I find the Potjie mild for beginners.

Also of note: the couple next to us seemed to be running some harebrained scheme on the California Grill. They kept ordering more entrees, taking a single bite, asking for it to be boxed up, and then ordering more entrees. This was definitely weird, but the weirdest part was the guy's justification for this while ordering another entree was he "wasn't doing pepper right now," said in a STRONG New York accent. My husband and I contained our laughter at the time, but NOT DOING PEPPA became an in-joke during the whole trip!
I'm glad you liked your brunch, we LOVED it in May! It seems they have some new entrees on the menu as I don't recall peach pancakes or the pineapple coconut stuffed french toast which is totally something I'd order so good to know it wasn't the best. But this guy???? What the heck? I'm repeating "not doing peppa" in my normal voice which is also a NY voice lol but I assume the servers were getting frustrated and probably talking about them in the kitchen. I know they'll box up the desserts for you and probably your leftover entrees, and I know people will order 2 entrees, but this is just ridiculous.
For an evening snack, I got something I had heard a lot about here on the Dis, especially from @ariane37 - a magic bar! Needless to say, it was delicious and lived up to the hype, but very sweet! I couldn't eat two of these back to back for sure.
YAY glad you liked it! It's definitely sweet which I love but I rarely eat a whole bar at once either. Ok maybe that's a lie....................no really often I'll eat half of it and then the other half later. I can eat one as an evening snack and again for breakfast 8 hours later lol but definitely not 2 at a time.

Haven't been to Blaze in a couple years but we liked our pizza when we went!

I perfer to get the other things on the menu here. I find the Potjie mild for beginners.

Fun Sanaa fact - I'm 99% sure I saw your family coming in when we were leaving! You were trying to get seated plus I didn't want to be awkward by saying anything, but I'm pretty sure I saw a Dis celebrity (or four of them)!

I'm glad you liked your brunch, we LOVED it in May! It seems they have some new entrees on the menu as I don't recall peach pancakes or the pineapple coconut stuffed french toast which is totally something I'd order so good to know it wasn't the best. But this guy???? What the heck? I'm repeating "not doing peppa" in my normal voice which is also a NY voice lol but I assume the servers were getting frustrated and probably talking about them in the kitchen. I know they'll box up the desserts for you and probably your leftover entrees, and I know people will order 2 entrees, but this is just ridiculous.

I can't recommend the peach pancakes enough. Yeah, I think our peppa avoiding friend had six entrees between the two of them. It was craziness!

View attachment 443065

For our entree, my husband and I shared the Potjie Inspired with two options from the Journey. He got the Goan seafood curry and the aloo masala (I think) and I got the butter chicken. You can add an extra option from the Journey for a slight upcharge. My husband enjoyed his food, although he didn't love that the shrimp were cut in half in the curry, and I thought my butter chicken was pretty good, but nothing special. The bread service will keep us coming back for sure though!

View attachment 443066

We then headed over to Animal Kingdom and rode the safari, Dinosaur, Navi River Journey, and Expedition Everest, along with catching a showing of It's Tough to be a Bug. Before we left we headed over to Satuli Canteen for dinner. My husband ordered the
Chili-Spiced Crispy Fried Tofu Bowl with the potato base.

[ATTACH type=

My hot dog was pretty good for a hot dog wrapped in dough, although the dough was a little tough to chew through. My husband found the bowl to be hearty and liked the sauce, but he didn't think the tofu was very spicy, which was a bit of a disappointment.

The next day we went to Ale & Compass for breakfast. For us, the breakfast buffet was a good value at $23, since it included an entree and a drink, plus the opportunity to go up to the buffet. I totally forgot to take pictures of the buffet or what we got, but there are great shots here: https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/review-ale-compass-restaurant-at-disneys-yacht-club-resort/

I found the food at the buffet to be generally fine. Most of the pastries were a little cold, and the cheddar biscuits that I was excited for were a little dry. I do think we got our money's worth though, so it wasn't a bad deal! Our entrees more than

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter