Front row seating at Candlelight for hearing impairment?

katydoll

Earning My Ears
Hello all! I found this board many years ago when my then 3-year-old daughter was diagnosed with hearing impairment. She was shortly thereafter diagnosed with autism as well, and parenting was increasingly more challenging. Coming to this board brought me so much hope and comfort when planning Disney vacations for my special girl over the years. Super happy to be headed back for Christmas with my now successful college freshman!

SO: How do we go about getting front row seating for Candlelight? She is a 100% lip reader/caption reader, so sitting close is a necessity. She knows some but is not fluent in sign language.

We are doing a Candlelight "dinner". Should we then just wait in line and ask when we get to the front? I hate to do that if the front row is already full. Is there a separate handicap/disabilities line? Just trying to do a bit of pre-planning to save some time and energy for what I know is a patience-challenging process on a busy holiday night at Epcot. :santa:

Thanks!!

I think the very front is just for VIP guest about 10 row back is where you can sit for dessert bagcage, get there early as this is first come frst serve ( if shen has has a wheelchair or stroller as a wheelchair tage this could get her about 10 feet closer

I would also be prepared that should you be allowed to be moved up front, it may just be her and one other person, with the rest of the party seated elsewhere.

I know there is an interpreter (I've seen them when I was in the choir). However, I don't know what the procedure is to sit down front

Hello all! I found this board many years ago when my then 3-year-old daughter was diagnosed with hearing impairment. She was shortly thereafter diagnosed with autism as well, and parenting was increasingly more challenging. Coming to this board brought me so much hope and comfort when planning Disney vacations for my special girl over the years. Super happy to be headed back for Christmas with my now successful college freshman!

SO: How do we go about getting front row seating for Candlelight? She is a 100% lip reader/caption reader, so sitting close is a necessity. She knows some but is not fluent in sign language.

We are doing a Candlelight "dinner". Should we then just wait in line and ask when we get to the front? I hate to do that if the front row is already full. Is there a separate handicap/disabilities line? Just trying to do a bit of pre-planning to save some time and energy for what I know is a patience-challenging process on a busy holiday night at Epcot. :santa:

Thanks!!

This may be a resource for you: Services for Guests with Hearing Disabilities

Seating is first come first serve at the Candlelight Processional (though those with the dining package are allowed in first before standby). Seating for wheelchairs and ECVs is in the 8th row I believe. If you really want front row I would suggest getting in line as soon as it starts forming. We waited over an hour with the dining package for Kurt Russell last year and still ended up over halfway back.

It will be very difficult for her to speech read even with front row seating. The section for the deaf and hardbof hearing is on the right hand side of the theater 3 and 4 row. The stage set up is such that the orchestra is in front of the choir and narrator so they are mid stage. I am a good speech reader and cannot speech read at Candlelight and depend on the interpreter. Some mouth the words
Honestly I would not take a 3yo to Candlelight. We tried with my oldest grandson and he would not sit. This is a kid who sits through orchestra rehearsals and concerts. Mom is a professional musician.

Clarification:
The original poster’s child was 3 the first time they went, but the child is now a college freshman.

I asked to be seated near the front because of low vision and was told no. The best plan is probably to get there way early, even if you have dining package tickets.

I would ask for the lead/manager (whatever they are called that week) and explain the situation politely. Remember the CMs that are running the line may not have the authority to make an exception to any rules, but the lead/manager could.
And as others advised, arrive as early as possible.

Just tell them she is deaf/hard of hearing and they will place her in the section reserved for us

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter