Frontier personal item question

czmom

DIS Veteran
Those of you who fly Frontier often, do they actually make you place your personal item in a sizer to make sure it fits? I will be flying IAH-MCO if that matters.

The reason I ask is because I have been looking at the rolling under seat luggage. A lot are actually 8.5" deep with the wheels, so that does exceed Frontier's policy by half an inch. If that's a deal breaker, I will just go with our DCL totes!

We normally fly SWA, but could not pass up $29 flights for a last minute trip :)

I fly Frontier about once per month for the past 2 years. In and out of lots of airports, but primarily flying from NY to PBI and MCO.

I used to fly with an under seat roller bag all of the time. I searched around until I found one that was almost exactly within their measurements - I think it is about 1/2" over their depth. However, it is soft-sided and it fit in the bin because of that - I went to my local airport and personally checked since I only live 15 minutes away! I was never questioned about my bag.

I will warn you that Frontier re-did their gate layouts and signage a few months ago. There is a lot of signage warning people about personal item sizes and being charged at the gate if your bag was not within those limits. And they make multiple announcements about it prior to boarding.

That being said, I have never seen anyone asked to put their bag in a sizer at MCO.

I have seen this done multiple times at PBI in the past months. One day it was pervasive - they questioned just about every passenger, with the gate agents walking up to passengers in the waiting area and asking if they had a carry-on on their boarding pass. I watched them make multiple passengers put their bags in the sizer. At one point security was called as a passenger became very angry when his bag wouldn't fit. PBI is my least favorite Frontier airport because of the gate agents and it is the one of the ones I use the most.

Those of you who fly Frontier often, do they actually make you place your personal item in a sizer to make sure it fits? I will be flying IAH-MCO if that matters.

The reason I ask is because I have been looking at the rolling under seat luggage. A lot are actually 8.5" deep with the wheels, so that does exceed Frontier's policy by half an inch. If that's a deal breaker, I will just go with our DCL totes!

We normally fly SWA, but could not pass up $29 flights for a last minute trip :)

I fly Frontier quite often and yes, once in a while I have been asked to fit my bag into those boxes at the gate to make sure it fits. For this reason, I use a Vera Bradley bag that just fits the measurements, but can also be squished down if needed.

Like the other poster said, they have also just reconfigured their gates and seem to be focusing on separating those with paid carry on and those without and were definitely sizing more bags than I had seen before in the past few months. I wouldn't risk it if you are worried about it and would try to bring a bag that fits the requirements or is plush and can squeeze in if need be. The price if you have to pay at the gate is really high and I have talked to people who got stuck having to pay for it when it didn't fit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter