Frosh Dorm Room Necessities Ideas-Can't live without

PizzieDuster

DIS Veteran
I apologize if this subject has been already brought up.

I was wondering if any of you can give me your favorite / can't live without items you loved having in your dorm as a new freshman. Besides the computer, cell phone... etc. What gizmos should I be looking for? What works good for storage, closets, decorations, etc.

Thank you so much! This is my first son going to college, San Jose State, and I'm pulling a blank. Walking into the stores, they have all this dorm stuff and I'm wondering....do we bring a lamp? etc. etc. etc.

I appreciate any information you can give me in advance.

:worship: :disrocks:

Lol my cell phone money and phone number to the best pizza hut

I want to say if he's going to SJSU he may need a car if it's possible for him to bring one up. I actually live about 10 blocks away from SJSU and it's got tons of stuff to do around the area, which is great. :) But if he needs anything outside of that zone (it's mostly food there)... a car is absolutely necessary to get around the Bay Area. Public transportation is so-so...

As for specific dorm room things... there weren't many things I really needed. A shower tote, maybe? I brought a small TV with me. Will your son be living with a roommate? If he does, he can coordinate with his roomie as well to see what he's bringing. :)

Essentially the main things I can think of are.. laptop, bedding, cell phone, shower tote, clothes, toiletries. The other stuff are really dependent on his preferences.. for example, I ended up buying a coffee maker for myself later on cause I didn't want to pay for Starbucks every day.

I had a full-sized pinball machine (seriously!) ::yes::

I always used my lamp because the dorm lights were those nasty tube kind that made me feel like I was in a prison. So I had a nice lamp with a soft bulb for reading and not disturbing my room mate.

I'm currently in college and Freshman year I felt that I had too many un-used things that cluttered my already small room. My suggestion is to not go overboard, because the dorms are only so big, but make sure you get the important things. Also, talk to you son about what he thinks would be important for him to bring. I'm sure you will do fine though, parents are usually good at knowing what their children need.

This is my first post so here goes......

As a RA at a college I can tell you the most important thing is not to bring the things they tell you not to!! No one likes the kid who causes the power to go out with his XL TV and microwave that were pluged into the same outlet.

A set of shower shoes, along with a shower caddy is a must. Lots of bars of soap, because if one is dropped onto the floor HE MUST throw it away! A shower kit is a great graduation present if anyone in the family is asking.

If the floors are tile a cheap rug is great, if not don't forget the broom or the vacume.

Christmas lights are great for hanging on the wall, they are just the right amount of light to have while watching TV or chating with friends.

Of course, don't forget lots of fun Disney touches. My room is covered in pics from my trip and other fun Disney stuff I have. Other pictures and things from home like posters make it feel alot more like home.

A towel hook is a life saver, otherwise the towels end up on the floor. The ones that have the little stips that make them stick to things (you can find them at Wal*Mart) work really well, and he can take them off at the end of the year if he needs to.

Paper plates, a roll of paper towels and plastic silver ware are all amazing as they cut down on the dirty dishes laying around.

IMPORTANT!!! A egg crate or memory foam mattress thingy. Who knows who has slept there before him, and that is going to be where he gets his few hours of sleep night, so he will want to make sure that they are good one!!

Good Luck, any other questions let me know! I love helping Freshmen get ready~

I agree with most of what's been said above, especially about clutter

I don't know about SJSU but if there is a Walmart nearby then he doesn't need to start out with everything...but instead figure out what he needs and slowly figure it out.

I would recommend a computer case or something solid to carry it around in because I have seen way too many people drop computers

An obnoxiously LOUD alarm clock for those days when he doesn't want to go to class...highly recommended

I have always liked having some kind of storage rack for snack foods, paper plates, macaroni, etc.

Paper plates, a roll of paper towels and plastic silver ware are all amazing as they cut down on the dirty dishes laying around.

Actually....I really liked having just a couple real plates that I washed after meals....paper plates absorb moisture and can make a mess

And I have had way too many plastic utensils break on me... especially spoons on ice cream

so if he'll have access to a sink (though the bathroom sink isn't great for washing plates)....

but I guess that is more a personal preference

The best thing my Mom sent with me was a first aid kit, band-aids, antibiotic cream, motrin, tylenol, tums, pepto, benadryl, etc.

Above all else: a mattress pad. Dorm room beds aren't known for their exceptional comfort. :rotfl2:

Before they sell out in the dorm shopping rush, buy your ds Command Hooks, several, in different sizes. My dd used them a lot, from hanging her towel to who knows what else.

An over the door pouch thing from BB&B was also a hit---it went from top to bottom with pouches (like a shoe holder, but nicer). Both she and her roomie used this to its max---gloves, hats, purses, keys.

A larger sized trash can (if one isn't provided in the room). I tried to talk my dd into one, but she wanted the small cute one instead. It held about 3 things then overflowed. She should have listened to me.

His own printer (we had to buy this after a month, made life much easier for my dd). Don't forget a power strip.

A real bookshelf. There are some that fold flat, but then open up and are very sturdy.

I also bought a couple sets of those snap together cubes. Some went in the closet, others under the bed, others near her desk. The fabric cubes fit in them....we had one full of extra toiletries she would need for the year, another with extra office supplies, food items, laundry supplies, etc. Very helpful.

Buy the extra long sheets and mattress pad early, before they sell out. We almost couldn't find the matress cover, but finally did get one at Wal-Mart---had to read the label carefully to know it would fit. We also got an inexpensive foam pad to go underneath, made things more comfy.

A portable fan.

Lesson learned this past week: they come home with a lot more stuff then they left with. A LOT MORE!!! Bring 2 cars for pick-up, even though you were started the year with only 1 car load. Trust me on this one!

As a current college freshman I strongly recommend over the door hooks. And lots of them! I have them everywhere!

Also, for storage, I went to Target and got big plastic, under-the-bed boxes and those have been great for storing stuff. I'm in a triple and space is tight so where ever I can put stuff, that's where it goes!

A case of water is a lifesaver. As is a first-aid kit with Tylenol, Advil, NyQuil, DayQuil, bandaids, and Vitamin C - amazingly helpful when you are starting to get a cold during finals week!

A desk lamp, definitely! I use mine every single day!

Trash bags. My college doesn't provide us with them and you don't want to keep using the same one week after week! Believe me!

Quarters for the washing machine and dryer.

Someone said before both paper plates/utensils and regular plates/utensils. I have both and use both regularly. Sometimes you just don't feel like washing dishes and it is nice to have something you can just throw away. Napkins are also nice to have. You can probably get away with taking some from the dining hall though.

Post-it notes. And a stress ball. (neither or which are necessary, but nice to have!)

Also, some nice things to have that aren't necessary are movies and books. It is important to take a break at some point from studying (you can't study 24/7!) and watching a movie on a laptop is a nice way to relax. I also have posters on my walls, which make the room a little more homey. Pictures are fun to have around - reminds you of home and friends and fun times.

Headphones!!!!!

A mouse for your laptop. Not a necessity, but it sure makes using the computer easier. Using the mousepad on the laptop can get annoying after a while.

Oh, one more thing, a little, portable fan. I'm in San Diego and we had "fire week" - a week in October when classes were canceled due to the wild fires. We weren't allowed to go outside because of the poor air quality and had to keep out windows shut so it got HOT. A little fan helps cool things down. And when the weather does get warm, many dorms don't have air conditioning (at least in San Diego...I'm not sure about where your son is going to school) so a fan is helpful for those hot nights and days.

Hope this helps and your son enjoys college as much as I am!

Oh yea, I forgot to add get some of those bins that you could put under beds to use as storage. And bed risers are a definite plus because it gives more room for storage.

Everyone needs a fridge... it keeps the coke and energy drinks (and possibly other beverages best not named) cold, caffeine comes in very handy while studying and having to go find a vending machine just adds to the distractions when you really need to get something done.
It also means milk for cereal in the morning, which means no extra trip to a dining hall in the morning, which will save time and money, and a place to keep all kinds of microwavable food

Ok, im an English Uni student, so my set is very different from what ive been hearing so take with a pinch of salt (we never share rooms here, we always have our own, but i share a bathroom):
- If he is self catering- 2 saucepans, 2 fryingpan, 2 kinves (one big, one small) and about 4 sets of crockery and knives and forks. Washing up liquid and sponges
- Wash stuff and all personal hygene stuff (put in a bag he can carry to and from showers)
- Clothes- i had lots cause our weather can vary a lot, so keep temperature in mind. A 'fun' outfit for dressing up was essential!!
- Under bed storage, where else could i fit my shoes?
- laundry hamper- to keep clothes before a big clean
- washing powder- to keep said clothes clean
- Air freshener- with some room mates, you need it!
- Food and drink to last him at least the first 3 days, so he can find his feet!
- Nice food such as cookies or candy to bribe new friends/ flatmates with!
- A few DVD's for nights in, but not too many incase they get taken.
- Pens, pencils, book bags, paper etc. Post it notes are my lifesaver!
- Stuff for memories from home
- Cell phone and charger, money

I will post if i think of anything else! Hope he has a great time at college!

Sorry if these have been mentioned before, some of these were last minute things we had overlooked for our DS.

A small white board for outside his door. Friends can leave messages, numbers, etc.
XL laudry bag (he took a bin, but preferred a bag)
Risers for under the bed so he can store large plastic totes
Family pack of condoms depending on his lifestyle (we mailed them monthly):eek:
Red/ Blue solo cups for pong... :faint:
lots of hangers

He said though that the most used grad gift was a large tote filled with things like scissors, stapler, 3 hole punch, paper clips, glue, post it-s, pens, pencils, ruler, books of stamps... the list goes on)

Honestly, we waited to see what he could fit/ needed once he got there to do a large part of the shopping... rugs, lamps, etc.

Good Luck!

Take a toolbox (hammer, screw drivers, tape measure, scissors). Most people forget this one. You'll probably have a few pieces of furniture/storage to assemle and you'll make plenty new friends loaning this stuff out. Just don't forget to write your name on everything.

Take a toolbox (hammer, screw drivers, tape measure, scissors). Most people forget this one. You'll probably have a few pieces of furniture/storage to assemle and you'll make plenty new friends loaning this stuff out. Just don't forget to write your name on everything.

Add a small socket wrench set and allen wrenches, dorm furniature tends to have weird fasteners

Thank you so much to everyone!

My son and I just read all the responses. I have a nice list of stuff to get. He is so excited and reading your responses excites him more. I'm sure you remember ... just graduated high school, 18, looking forward to leaving home! :cool1:

Your suggested are so helpful! For example, he's bringing a trash can larger than a gallon of milk :)

Keep them coming.... :disrocks: :thanks:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!