Fuel Rod?

ZephyrJG

Earning My Ears
I know they have "Fuel Rods" at WDW for charging your phone.

Do they also have these (or anything equivalent) on the ships?

If not they should.... lol

Thanks!

Don't know what the fuel rod is at WDW but there is no public charging stations on the ship other than a regular outlet you might find in the wall of any public space (for vacuuming, etc.).

There are outlets in your cabin as well.

MJ

Fuel rod is not currently available on the ship. I would say perhaps writing to DCL and letting them know you would be in favor of it would be the best starting step. With that said getting back to the room is so much easier on a cruise then the parks.

If you have a fuelrod, you can always charge it in the room. Just remember on the Dream and Fantasy the power to the outlets shut off when your key card is taken out and if you leave something there to leave it on, let your room host know either in person or with a note that you have something charging and need power to remain to the outlets

Consider buying a small battery power bank, you can find them online pretty cheap, just get something 10,000 mAh or above, and you can charge it in your room overnight so it's ready to charge your devices when you're out on deck or ashore.
Great tip. Thanks

If you have a fuelrod, you can always charge it in the room. Just remember on the Dream and Fantasy the power to the outlets shut off when your key card is taken out and if you leave something there to leave it on, let your room host know either in person or with a note that you have something charging and need power to remain to the outlets
Good advice, thanks.

When we were on the Fantasy the power outlets on the desk and by the bed still worked when the key card was not in the slot. Only the lights and the TV turned off.
In our cabin and a friend's cabin the lights and TV went off pretty much immediately and all outlets went off about 5 to 10 minutes after removing the key card, was really annoying because we had stuff charging plugged into the outlets on the desk and by the bed that didn't charge.

In our cabin and a friend's cabin the lights and TV went off pretty much immediately and all outlets went off about 5 to 10 minutes after removing the key card, was really annoying because we had stuff charging plugged into the outlets on the desk and by the bed that didn't charge.
That is why I got a cheap 4 port USB hub :-) I was very poplar at the airport when our return flight was delayed 10 hours

Don't know what the fuel rod is at WDW but there is no public charging stations on the ship other than a regular outlet you might find in the wall of any public space (for vacuuming, etc.).

There are outlets in your cabin as well.

MJ
We were at Disney over July 4th. The hotels "rented" fuel rods a.k.a. Portable chargers for cell phones. It was $30 and you could swap it out for a fresh one when the charge ran out. I don't know if you got a deposit back on your last turn in. Portable chargers cost less than that, but the convenience was obviously attractive to many people.

We were at Disney over July 4th. The hotels "rented" fuel rods a.k.a. Portable chargers for cell phones. It was $30 and you could swap it out for a fresh one when the charge ran out. I don't know if you got a deposit back on your last turn in. Portable chargers cost less than that, but the convenience was obviously attractive to many people.
They are not a rent thing, it is yours to keep and you can recharge it at home as well. While you can buy portable charger cheaper, these are a higher quality charger than the cheap chargers.

Remember you do get what you pay for, some of the really cheap chargers can damage your phone. These also include a small usb to micro USB cable and microusb to just about everything else adapters (if you have a USB C phone you can contact them and they will send you a free microusb to USB-C adapter if your unit didn't come with one) to be able charge your phone with.

Additionally they can be swapped at any Full Rod kiosk world wide, such as Disneyland for life and more are being added to other tourist destinations as well.

And again you can usually find promo codes online line by searching for Fuel Rod Promo code that can be entered when purchasing one to bring the cost down to about $20 at the Disney Kiosks.

You can also buy them online from their website.

Also a word to the wise, never plug into an open outlet in Disney parks or on the ships unless it is clearly marked as being meant for recharging phones, as they do often use different voltages that can damage your chargers or worse your phones. This is one of the reasons the fuel rods is so convienent. When it is dead, you swap it out for a fully charged one at no cost, which is really nice when you have a lot of devices in your party, just buy one or two and keep changing them out . Also means no waiting for your phone to charge.

They are not a rent thing, it is yours to keep and you can recharge it at home as well. While you can buy portable charger cheaper, these are a higher quality charger than the cheap chargers.

Remember you do get what you pay for, some of the really cheap chargers can damage your phone. These also include a small usb to micro USB cable and microusb to just about everything else adapters (if you have a USB C phone you can contact them and they will send you a free microusb to USB-C adapter if your unit didn't come with one) to be able charge your phone with.

Additionally they can be swapped at any Full Rod kiosk world wide, such as Disneyland for life and more are being added to other tourist destinations as well.

And again you can usually find promo codes online line by searching for Fuel Rod Promo code that can be entered when purchasing one to bring the cost down to about $20 at the Disney Kiosks.
Thanks, you have more details than I. We gave it a very quick look, saw the price as we watched two teens swapping it out. I thought it was a rental vs purchase.

That is why I got a cheap 4 port USB hub :-) I was very poplar at the airport when our return flight was delayed 10 hours
That doesn't solve the problem of having used up the battery during the day, going back to the cabin to leave it to charge, which is where our issues were.

Thanks, you have more details than I. We gave it a very quick look, saw the price as we watched two teens swapping it out. I thought it was a rental vs purchase.
Yeah, we have an Annual Pass to Disneyland and have purchased in because it makes it so easy to keep our phones charged and with MaxPass that now becomes even more important, so I see the sale of these things increasing, which is good, because they do need a sustainable business model, after all they are kind of a purchase once and you never need to buy another one for life thing. Which is also nice because portable charger do eventually wear out as well.

cant see me using my phone much in Disney unless you are taking pics . which is probably the case . otherwise throw it away your in Disney !!! LOL

cant see me using my phone much in Disney unless you are taking pics . which is probably the case . otherwise throw it away your in Disney !!! LOL

Sadly with the way Disney is putting everything on their apps I don't see them being put away much going forward. Disneyworld has FP+ and Disneyland now has Maxpass, both of which you access via smart phones or tablets. DCL has their app too, though they still do print out a navigator for those who don't want to cart a device with them.

Sadly with the way Disney is putting everything on their apps I don't see them being put away much going forward. Disneyworld has FP+ and Disneyland now has Maxpass, both of which you access via smart phones or tablets. DCL has their app too, though they still do print out a navigator for those who don't want to cart a device with them.

That is very good info thanks !.. I will most certainly utilize all tools possible on my next trip
Thank you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter