Full marathon and checking out that day?

pxefig

DIS Veteran
For those that have run the full marathon while staying at a Disney resort- it looks like I will have to check out and fly home that Sunday. How have you handled the situation with showering and all of that? Does Disney allow late checkout that day when they normally don't? Pay for an extra night but don't use it? Any advice would be appreciated.

What time do you expect to finish and which corral? Was in D last year and finished 4 hours which got me back to the hotel in time to lay down, rest, shower, and get out of the room by 11:30ish. Figured since I was in the room and almost ready by 11 it was not necessary to even ask about late checkout.

I had to do that this year and will have to do so again next year - I'm lucky that I can even swing being away from work for 3 days the week before.

I managed to get a late check-out at 1:00, I think I exited my room around 12:55. They allowed a 3:00 check-out, but it would cost a half day rate.

For health and other reasons, I would recommend that you definitely NOT fly the same day as the marathon. Aside from being exhausting, it can actually put your life at risk. Flying after a marathon.

I'm going to second this advice! I avoid flying for as close to 24 hours as possible even after a half.

If you can't avoid it though, make sure to stay walking from the end of your race til boarding, foam roll and wear compression sleeves the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I checked out of OKW and flew home the day of the Princess Half...I had time to get back to the room and shower and get out by 11:00 (no late check out at DVC resorts I guess?? I didn't actually ask though) We walked around Downtown Disney, grabbed lunch and hung out at the hotel until we had to get on Magical Express at 2:00. I was so sore and tired, it was just a long day after getting up at 3:00 AM, I got back home around midnight, so I wouldn't do it again and definitely not after the full marathon :faint:

Thanks for the replies- I was just wondering in a worst case scenario what the options were. I have a friend who is running the marathon with me who has *gasp* never been to Disney World, so really I think we are trying to maximize the days of the trip with as little impact to the families we are abandoning to do this:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter