• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Full Service Gas Question....

We have one by my house. I have only been there twice, but when it is raining outside, it is tempting. I have tipped the attendent a couple of dollars, but didn;t know if that is right.

I have never tipped the attendant but maybe I should be??

For what the cost of gas is for full-service, I am hoping that tipping is NOT neccesary. But, I am just not sure.

Honestly, i never do full serve stations. But the ppl who know hte answer to this question live in NJ. Why? Cause NJ doesn't have any self-serve stations at all. None, zip, zero. They're illegal in the state. No idea why though. But if you know somebody from NJ, ask em if you tip the guy. i can't remember the last time i stopped in that state for gas.

eta: Why do you wanna know? If you don't mind me asking that is.

Maureen

Well, where is Danacara when you need her????:p

Its also illegal to self-serve here in oregon. I have never, nor see someone tip gas-jockey here. The lawmakers have tried their might to over-turn the law that prevents self-serve. Every time they try its gets stuck somewhere in the process. Some argue, with the current economy in oregon that putting more people out of work is not a good thing. Plus those (like me) who have lived in oregon most of their life have no idea how to properly fill their gas tank :)

No clue on tipping, sorry.

I've never heard of tipping the gas guy.....SIL lives in NJ, and I actually remember the days before self serve elsewhere.....(by the time I was driving it was self serve mostly...)

I guess once you're used to doing it yourself it seems odd...But the gas usually is a little more expensive so they can pay the attendant.

We have both self-serve and attendants at the gas stations around here. The ones with attendant aren't more expensive. I avoid self-serve stations and have honestly never heard of anyone tipping the attendant.

This topic came up about a year or so ago. I remember someone said the NJ and Oregon laws were to create more minimum wage jobs.

serve - but thats fine with me LOL. And I've never heard of tipping the attendant. Although I guess you can consider it if they wash the windshield.

I believe that the reason we have only full service here in NJ is to create jobs and no, I never tip the attendant and have never seen anyone else tip. To tell you the truth, it's a pain in the butt to have only full service, especially if you're in a hurry. You can be at a station with only one attendant servicing a bunch of cars and you have to just sit there and wait, you're not allowed to get out and fill it yourself:rolleyes:

Originally posted by TiggerPiglet
I believe that the reason we have only full service here in NJ is to create jobs and no, I never tip the attendant and have never seen anyone else tip. To tell you the truth, it's a pain in the butt to have only full service, especially if you're in a hurry. You can be at a station with only one attendant servicing a bunch of cars and you have to just sit there and wait, you're not allowed to get out and fill it yourself:rolleyes:
\

Wow I would hate it if I couldn't pump it myself....I hate to wait at the gas station anyway and to have to wait for someone to pump my gas would drive me nuts...I am so bad I only use pay at pump stations so I can get in and out in a hurry. I drive about 1200 miles a week, so I spend enough time in gas stations as it is.

I grew up in NJ and I have never, ever heard of anyone tipping the gas attendant.

NJ Laws and Firecodes do not allow you to pump your own gas in NJ. When you receive gas in NJ you should not tip or in better terms it is not necessary. In another state you should INDEED tip if you pull up to a full service pump when self service is an option.

More NJ recommendation - you are not paying for full service in NJ, in many cases you are paying less than self service in another state. Do not expect your attendants to clean your windows and check you oil. Especially in the RAIN or SNOW. If you ask for these services you better TIP in NJ!

Also watch the pump dollars before you begin getting fuel in NJ, make sure it is set to $0.00 other wise you are getting ripped off $1.00 (good NJ scam). The scam works by resetting the pump to read $1.00 and proper gallons for $1.00 before the next car arrives....this works on OLD gas pumps and I have not seen it done on DIGITAL. Avoid analog pumps. Buying oil? Make sure you are buying what you paid for .... just because the oil container says MOBIL it may not contain a Mobil oil - this will cost you an extra $1.50. Oil scam works like this ..... the gas station attendants goto K-Mart and buy a case of cheap no name oil for 69 cents a quart. Then they collect empty ligitimate bottles of oil from the gas station and refill the bottles with cheap oil. The oil is then sold at regular price of $2.50 - earing the attendant a little under $1.50.

I worked at a few gas stations in NJ while in college('97) and highschool('93) (ages 17, 19, 20). There are many scams at the stations - an attendant can make up to $100 a day scamming. This pays for hot lunches in the winter, and cold drinks in the summer.

I have never, ever heard of anyone tipping the gas attendant.

Yes people do tip in NJ, mainly for Window Cleaning and Checking Oil, putting in fluids. Do not tip just for gas.

Yes many people do tip in NJ.

Trend - Out of state plates tip more often.

When I was a kid I worked at a full service gas station.

Tips were not usually given or expected for merely pumping gas. Tips were frequent, however, when we checked fluid levels and washed the windshields.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter