Funny Things happen at DisneyLand

hootey

DIS Veteran
Several years ago, on a nice sunny afternoon, the family and I were in line to go over to Tom Sawyers Island(now Pirate Island). I noticed about a dozen oriental men in suits(yes suits at DL) in the Smoking area all pointing and looking at me! These well dressed men were with a PLAID(yes, a PLAID) and they were pointing at me and talking to him. Momentarily, the PLAID started walking our way leaving the well dressed men in the Smoking area still pointing at me and talking among themselves. The PLAID introduced himself and politely asked if I was an actor named ? I told him no I wasn't. He started laughing and told me the men in the smoking area were all business men from Japan at DL to study how DL did something. They thought I was an American actor that was very popular in Japan and asked him to ask me if I would pose for pictures with them, He explained this was a big deal to them because it was obvious to them I was relaxing with my family but, it would be an honor, if I would take time to pose for pictures with them because they were all big fans. My wife busted out laughing and volunteered me to help with international good will so to speak. The PLAID quietly told me he would make it worth my time if I did this. As we walked over to the Smoking area he told me to just bow when they did and smile a lot. I spent the next four or five minutes smiling, bowing, and being photographed. I did not understand a single word those guys said but, we had a lot of F U N bowing and smiling and taking pictures.
Finally the photo shoot was over and yes, I felt almost like a real star after having about five or six hundred pictures taken of me with those guys. Those gentlemen were wearing some very nice suits and I hope they never figure out I was not the star they thought I was. They got to go back to Japan with the knowledge they traveled so far to gain and about five hundred pictures of them with an American Actor (hey, I was acting)at DisneyLand! The Plaid quietly thanked me for my time and told me he had arranged for something nice at Blue Bayou for my time. A little later we went by the Blue Bayou and received complementary dinner for my family. It was GREAT! Anyone else have anything funny happen to them?:worship:

Last edited:
That is hilarious. Who did they think you were? I can just imagine them going home and showing their kids and their kids saying 'That is not who you think it is!' :rotfl2:

Tom Seleck? Don't I wish.....:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
I do not remember the actors name. Yes, he is an American actor but, most of his work is in Japan. Not a real high quality picture of me to the left. The wife laughed the whole time the photo thing was going on and she still does if our oldest brings it up while talking about all the FUN we have had at DL over the years.

Tom Seleck? Don't I wish.....:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
I do not remember the actors name. Yes, he is an American actor but, most of his work is in Japan. Not a real high quality picture of me to the left. The wife laughed the whole time the photo thing was going on and she still does if our oldest brings it up while talking about all the FUN we have had at DL over the years.
Only actor I could think of who's known for his mustache (besides Chaplin or David Suchet).

Last time we went to DL my DD was barely 2 and I'd dressed her in the park Ariel dress for our breakfast at Ariel's. There was a large group of I think Japanese women who saw us on the bridge and started gesturing with their cameras towards her so we charaded their request and my approval of them taking her picture. It turned out to be a lot of pictures! I am crazy overprotective of my kids. We don't post any pictures of them on social media or anything like that and I'm sure most of the time I'd never let anyone take their photos. But these women were so excited. I wonder sometimes why they wanted her picture and how many photo albums she's in somewhere in Japan! Alas, no fun extras to report from it. How cool that you had that fun experience got a great free dinner out of it!

I wonder sometimes why they wanted her picture and how many photo albums she's in somewhere in Japan!
Happy to hear about your experience :music:. 2006 to 2011, every trip to DL had lots of FUN things like that happen! Every trip :rotfl:was fun and exciting!. The trips now are good vacations but, not what they used to be. My wife says I lost part of my MOJO when I passed 50 :eek: and it's all my fault. It's always my fault :laughing:. Friends couldn't hardly wait for us to get back from DL so they could here about the fun things that happened :rotfl2:

06-10-2006 119.JPG 06-10-2006 133b.jpg

2006 to 2011, every trip to DL had lots of FUN things like that happen! Every trip :rotfl:was fun and exciting!. The trips now are good vacations but, not what they used to be. My wife says I lost part of my MOJO when I passed 50 :eek: and it's all my fault. It's always my fault :laughing:.
To build on this statement; in 2006 we went to the parks for five days and it was a BLAST. Every day, our our oldest was being picked to do things with the DL CMs. We were walking thru New Orleans Square when a couple of pirates CMs yelled at our oldest to join them in a song and dance routine(pic). He did, they showed him the dance moves and he joined them! The other pic was also in New Orleans Square. Capt. Jack stepped out from an unmarked side door and yelled quite loudly for our son to join him. Jack asked who he was, how he was enjoying our trip to see him. This drew quite a crowd quickly. Jack gave us an autograph and posed for pictures of course! The entire trip was that way. Went to see Turtle Talk with CRUSH several times. Every time Crush would start talking to our son and have everyone laughing.......It was truly a magical trip :)06-10-2006 119.JPG 06-10-2006 133b.jpg
Share your magic moments or I can keep sharing ours!

Last edited:
Not actually at DL but on our 2014 trip to DL/LA from Australia I wanted some nice family photos to remember the trip by so I organised a photographer and we had photos at Santa Monica on the beach under and near the pier - similarly whilst we were having our pics taken a Japanese couple were nearby and also started taking photos of us! Maybe it was because of the photographer with us and they assumed we must 'be somebodies' lol - nope just ordinary Aussie family getting some great memories of our trip!

Other pictures of the boys over the years. One thing they have in common are the smiles. Some at Character Meals and not. This last Christmas holiday we were at the DLR, of course the Rose Bowl Football teams and organizers were in the parks one day. We came across the California team(the Rose Bowl Winners) in downtown Disney. My oldest son yelled out that he wanted a picture with them. They stopped and yelled back to "Come On". They stopped and had him join them for some pictures, several people were taking pictures. DL is F U N ! This is why we go folks.06-10-2006 133d.jpg 195862_200606539973730_3537710_n.jpg 200262_200603896640661_133830_n.jpg 206994_200606576640393_5661265_n.jpg bennuscfootballteam2016dec.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!