Funny Things that Cdns say/do at Disney that make Americans go 'huh?'

Discussion in 'Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board' started by Cdn Gal, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Norton figment

Norton figment Earning My Ears

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing or not but yes the schools get money based on how many bums in seats, but you still direct your school taxes to either the public or catholic. I just switched where my school taxes are going since my niece is going to catholic and I have no children in public. At municipal voting time based on where your school taxes are going is which board trustee you are able to vote for.

2. bankr63

bankr63 DIS Veteran

Again we are way OT here, but you are half right. It is bums in seats for each school system. The minister makes the allocation separately for each board and publishes in the Ontario Gazette. Here is the exact wording in the Education Act, currency date on e-laws Ontario is today:
    And I just learned that the Town of Penetanguishene is the only district in the province with a Protestant separate school board. Who knew that?

I am sure that most American's reading this part of the thread are certainly saying "Huh?"

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. Lesverts

Lesverts DIS Veteran

The largest restaurant group in Canada is a Pepsi contract holder. So is the single largest restaurant chain, as is any and all Yum Brands and Restaurant Group places. So you are much more likely to be served Pepsi at a restaurant in this country unless all you go to is McDonald's or Wendy's.

Sparrow78 and Donald - my hero like this.
  5. osully

osully Mouseketeer

when we are asked how we want our hamburgers cooked. and the thought of someone eating a medium rare hamburger :( (we are from Ontario)

Pumpkin1172 and Donald - my hero like this.
  6. Mortlives

Mortlives DIS Veteran

Me, too. And I love going to places where I can get a rare burger.

7. Donald - my hero

Donald - my hero <font color=blue>Aww yes. The dreaded "mouse hand"

We have a D-I-L who just got her Masters in Public Health -- ask her how she wants her burger cooked and she turns her nose up and then says "To at least 160" When they were in Disney with us in January our son & his wife wanted to go to Cape May I thought she might blow a gasket ... AKK a buffet is bad enough, but add seafood to the mix and she just about fainted :lmao:

Pumpkin1172 and osully like this.
  8. merrick

merrick oh ya...finally got an avatar!

i am surprised that is how a server replied. anywhere i go in canada if i ask for tea i am brought hot tea, usually without any question. if i ask for iced tea i may be told "it's pre-sweetened..." (i.e. from a fountain) almost like "is that what you really want?".

i did get caught on this point in arizona. i asked for tea with my breakfast and was brought unsweetened iced tea. not what i was expecting!

9. Norton figment

Norton figment Earning My Ears

I was at cracker barrel and asked for tea biscuits it to the server a second to figure out I meant buttermilk biscuits.

10. Evad

Evad Livin The Dream

Just wanted to add the fact that I have never ever referred to my running shoes as sneakers........ just saying....