Future of Fastpass!

I'm not a huge fan of this simply because of the large mass of people it will attract. I can just imagine it now... "Tomorrowland FastPass Distribution Queue Wait Time: 50 minutes".
But you can always buy Maxpass and do it on your phone. Funny how that works.

The plan for TL is Buzz, ST and SM - 2 of those already are in the same spot. As long as they put in enough machines (how many are there now? 3 each?) it should not be a longer wait than it already is :confused3

The plan for TL is Buzz, ST and SM - 2 of those already are in the same spot. As long as they put in enough machines (how many are there now? 3 each?) it should not be a longer wait than it already is :confused3

exactly, I don't see the problem with this new system. I do use the free Fastpass kiosks, I don't buy Maxpass and I've never had issues with lines at the Buzz / Star Tours Fastpass machines. There are multiples of each machine and when ever I have gone to get a Fastpass there is always a either 1 person in front of me or a free machine.

My guess it is scare mongering by people who only used Maxpass and who have not used the free Fastpass kiosks in the last 2 years.

But you can always buy Maxpass and do it on your phone. Funny how that works.
The problem is that not everyone wants to spend $15 per day per person (possibly multiple people and multiple days) just for a convenience fee. I won't lie--MaxPass is great, but it adds up over time. Let's say you have a family of 4 and you're going for 3 days. That's an extra $180 tacked onto your trip, which would alternatively be a couple of meals or something of the like. Typically, I go with my friend for about 5 days and that's $150 for all days just for two people. That's ridiculous, to me. Not to mention the fact that people are likely driving into the parks and parking at the garages, plus food (and sales tax if you come from a place that doesn't have it, like I do), plus souvenirs, etc. I get where you're coming from, but Disney vacations are expensive enough as it is with tickets + hotel + airfare/gas. Adding on other extra things might not be feasible for some people, which is why it's nice to have the free FastPass paper tickets. Clumping them together in one spot and hoping everyone will be on their game with their ticket out and ready to scan is like asking for the moon. No doubt this will cause confusion, irritation, delays, and traffic jams.

The problem is that not everyone wants to spend $15 per day per person (possibly multiple people and multiple days) just for a convenience fee. I won't lie--MaxPass is great, but it adds up over time. Let's say you have a family of 4 and you're going for 3 days. That's an extra $180 tacked onto your trip, which would alternatively be a couple of meals or something of the like. Typically, I go with my friend for about 5 days and that's $150 for all days just for two people. That's ridiculous, to me. Not to mention the fact that people are likely driving into the parks and parking at the garages, plus food (and sales tax if you come from a place that doesn't have it, like I do), plus souvenirs, etc. I get where you're coming from, but Disney vacations are expensive enough as it is with tickets + hotel + airfare/gas. Adding on other extra things might not be feasible for some people, which is why it's nice to have the free FastPass paper tickets. Clumping them together in one spot and hoping everyone will be on their game with their ticket out and ready to scan is like asking for the moon. No doubt this will cause confusion, irritation, delays, and traffic jams.
Honestly, the fact that it's cost prohibitive to some is part of the reason it works well. I'm not saying that's a good thing. Just reality at today's Disney parks.

Honestly, the fact that it's cost prohibitive to some is part of the reason it works well. I'm not saying that's a good thing. Just reality at today's Disney parks.
You're very right about that and I completely agree that it works well, like you said. I'm not arguing that MaxPass is a bad thing or that free paper FastPasses is bad or good. It's nice to have both, but it really does make a difference. Honestly, I'm still surprised people even wait in stand by lines for rides that have the FP option available. That just blows my mind.

The millennials will pay for convenience and Disney knows it. I’m not rich or a millennial and I will do it. I’ve done the parks enough to know that the value is there for me to have Maxpass on my AP. I buy the Universal AP with after 4 express for the same reason. I choose my accommodations based on convenience.

Honestly, I'm still surprised people even wait in stand by lines for rides that have the FP option available. That just blows my mind.

I wonder about this, too.

I suppose that most people who come to DISboards and other places like this are planners and researchers. So we rub virtual shoulders with each other, and we figure everyone is like us. But maybe a lot of people just show up at Disneyland and follow the crowds. They may never realize there's such a thing as FastPass or, if they do see it, assume more complicated than they want to mess with.

Sad, it's too bad the sign at the entry tunnels is less and less true. "Here you leave today...." But now I'm stuck looking at my phone all day trying to figure out when to get back to a ride, or make a ride maxpass reservation, a dining reservation, a food order, play a game while in line, ugh. What happened to leaving the real world behind and being in Disneyland to enjoy the day? There will be such a learning curve for people out of town to use these machines, I can imagine it being a failure or reason for Disney to require maxpass or use standby lines

I suppose that most people who come to DISboards and other places like this are planners and researchers. So we rub virtual shoulders with each other, and we figure everyone is like us. But maybe a lot of people just show up at Disneyland and follow the crowds. They may never realize there's such a thing as FastPass or, if they do see it, assume more complicated than they want to mess with.

I think they also assume that even basic FastPass costs extra. A few years ago, I had family tell me that they had taken their grandsons to Harry Potter at Universal Orlando, and paid for their FastPass, and had a super great day... but would never go to WDW because they assume FP would be even more expensive there than at Universal. I tried to explain, but to no avail....

Sad, it's too bad the sign at the entry tunnels is less and less true. "Here you leave today...." But now I'm stuck looking at my phone all day trying to figure out when to get back to a ride, or make a ride maxpass reservation, a dining reservation, a food order, play a game while in line, ugh. What happened to leaving the real world behind and being in Disneyland to enjoy the day? There will be such a learning curve for people out of town to use these machines, I can imagine it being a failure or reason for Disney to require maxpass or use standby lines

Or, use your phone if needed to book a MaxPass FP and then put it away? Just because those other options are offered doesn't mean you have to use them. I don't do the Disney Play games because I enjoy the atmosphere of the ride lines. I don't use mobile ordering for food because I don't want to jack up my credit card bill. My TS reservations are done long before I set foot in the park...

I can't image it's that steep of a learning curve for these machines. Most major cities transit systems use touch screens to buy tickets, and many fast food places now use touch screen ordering pads. If you can figure out the standard current FP machine, I'm guessing this one will be even easier.

I use to be the "fast pass runner" for my family, before Maxpass. We would go to DLR with 5 day park hoppers. DCA and DL fast pass machines were not connected, actually I think Buzz LightYear was not connected to anything. You could stack so many fast passes it was amazing. I would zip back and forth between the two parks grabbing a new set of FPs ever 2 hours. The best part of the FP system was you did not have to use it during the one hour window, get this you could use it anytime of the day!! OK wait, this was actually the best part of the Legacy FP system, gifting the unused FP's you had to other park goers for them to use. The experience of being able to have a Pixie Dust moment with others was priceless. But with Disneyland nothing ever stays the same it is always changing. I think they first connected all the FP machines between DCA and DLR, so only one FP every two hours and THEN you had to use the FP in the one hour window (that one was tough). About Two years ago here comes MaxPass. Which at $15 is the best value at DLR you will get. Because of Max Pass-I don't have to be a "fast pass runner" and I get to hang out with my family more...grab a FP for RSR from anywhere in the park even while taking a break at my motel room. It even gets better I get photos included in that $15 charge. All the ride photos that I would never pay for, we would just take a bad photo from ride photo display and call it good. I never met characters or had a photo shoot with a company hired photographer. I love magic shots. Fun pics everywhere. Then Disney loads those fun pics on my phone and I get to download all the pics to keep for $15 dollars, so amazing.
I respect those you still use the FP machine. I still grab the paper reminders for a free souvenir once in a while. OH no that is going away too...

Last edited:
We usually just pick up 1 max pass for our 4 day trip. Seems the 2nd day is the best. By then we've ridden all the rides we want and are fine just grabbing paper fast passes the remainder of the stay. If you only go once every few years, I would just budget in the max pass.

I totally get what you're saying and feel much the same way, but you don't have to look at your phone that much using Maxpass.

I'm one of those people that actually prints out a screenshot of my schedule (dining, etc.) for the day and have that with me in case my phone were to explode, etc., so I only use my phone to schedule my FPs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter