Future of Fastpass!

WDW has digital FP kiosks scattered around each park. You can book FP's for any ride at any park at any of the kiosks. Can do so from phone too but I've found my phone signal is horrible inside the parks so the Kiosk's work well.

Why at DLR do I have to go to each ride and/or land to get FP's just for that area?

Sad, it's too bad the sign at the entry tunnels is less and less true. "Here you leave today...." But now I'm stuck looking at my phone all day trying to figure out when to get back to a ride, or make a ride maxpass reservation, a dining reservation, a food order, play a game while in line, ugh. What happened to leaving the real world behind and being in Disneyland to enjoy the day? There will be such a learning curve for people out of town to use these machines, I can imagine it being a failure or reason for Disney to require maxpass or use standby lines
As odd as it sounds, I feel like I am able to leave the real world behind more with MaxPass because it is so convenient and makes our visits so much more relaxing.

The millennials will pay for convenience and Disney knows it. I’m not rich or a millennial and I will do it. I’ve done the parks enough to know that the value is there for me to have Maxpass on my AP. I buy the Universal AP with after 4 express for the same reason. I choose my accommodations based on convenience.
ROFL. The millennials I know going to the parks are like “screw paying $$, I can walk!” And the old people I know going to the parks are like “oh thank God, my feet are saved!”

Good news for Disney: there’s a market for all touring styles :rotfl2:

I have only two concerns;
Families will have "meetings" in front of the FP machines trying to make choices and cause a massive back up.
Even more cell-phone zombies will be walking around, not watching where they're going.

Otherwise I think this is a great new system.

With the new fast pass machines in Tomorrowland, will you be able to select any fast pass in Disneyland, versus just rides in Tomorrowland?

From the article:
We’ve been following a construction project in Tomorrowland that appears to be the consolidation of the Fastpass system in the land. When complete, guests will be able to book all of their Tomorrowland attraction Fastpasses from touch screens in front of the Tomorrowland Theater (where Path of the Jedi is shown).

This is all fine in theory, but I can't help but think this will be like waiting in the self-checkout at the grocery store and inevitably someone who does not understand technology at all holds up the line for 500 people and then it's not just one ride FP line that's backed up, it's all of them. I suppose that's just life with the general public.

I hate myself for saying this, but maxpass is totally worth it. Having used it on our last few visits, I think we're at the point we would pay whatever it costs or just not go. We have 4 squirrelly little kids, and it makes the difference because a miserable trip and an awesome trip. I have always thought that personally, I would prefer them raising prices even beyond what people consider crazy now and having a better (less crowded) experience, and max pass seems to have done that to some extent. Lots of people think it's just a money grab and won't pay on principle for something they can do for free, and that's fine by me because it adds more than $15/pp of value to us.

As someone who doesn't use FPs in Tomorrowland, I can easily say who cares.... but, I also know that if it works well, they will put these in all the lands eventually.

I am curious how it will work in other areas. For example, 99% of the time, we go to Adventureland first, but we walk around and pretty much ping pong between Adventureland, NOS, Fronteirland and Critter Country. We actually kind of look at all the lines and that's how we decide what we are going to do. I wonder if they would have a FP screen in each land or if there'd be a central one for multiple lands. I guess it doesn't really matter, because I'll probably just do what I do anyway.

From what I saw on another website, it appears that the new FP kiosks in Tomorrowland are now online and operational. So the 1 bank of FP kiosks will be used to get FPs for any of the FP attractions in Tomorrowland. They do not issue FPs for attractions in other lands or for DCA.

I envision this as being UGLY. The wait time to use the kiosk is going to be huge. People flipping through trying to decide where they want to go and when. Then sitting there waiting for it to refresh hoping someone has dropped a fastpass from their app so one opens up that they want. I feel like they are going this route to force more people to pay for maxpass. I think it would be better if they kept the fast passes at the existing locations as well as have these added. Just get rid of the paper fastpasses everywhere.

I wonder about this, too.

But maybe a lot of people just show up at Disneyland and follow the crowds. They may never realize there's such a thing as FastPass or, if they do see it, assume more complicated than they want to mess with.
Oddly enough, I encounter first-time visitors that don’t use FPs because they confuse them with MPs and think there’s a fee to get/use them. Many of them seem surprised (and then pleased) when I explain that FPs are still free. Yet another in my long list of DL good deeds ;-).

I envision this as being UGLY. The wait time to use the kiosk is going to be huge. People flipping through trying to decide where they want to go and when. Then sitting there waiting for it to refresh hoping someone has dropped a fastpass from their app so one opens up that they want. I feel like they are going this route to force more people to pay for maxpass. I think it would be better if they kept the fast passes at the existing locations as well as have these added. Just get rid of the paper fastpasses everywhere.
I was under the impression that the new kiosks were just consolidating locations and making them digital, not changing how the fast pass distribution system works. In the past, people using traditional FP could not get the cancelled FP like MP users could. If that is still true, there is no need to refresh or wait for a better time at the kiosks. What you see posted for the current return time is what you get. If you don't like the posted time, don't get in line. I've never seen a line at the Star Tours/Buzz kiosks, and minimal line at the Space kiosks, so I just don't see a massive line forming at the new kiosks. I guess time will tell.

If the new kiosks also change how the FP distribution system works then that is a whole different issue. I think it would devalue MP if everyone could pick up the cancelled FP at a kiosk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter