Future of west coast runDisney

This is the first year that there's not an option on the Disney Moms Panel to apply to be the RunDisney/Disney Sports Mom (not that she's been helpful, but still).

I think RunDisney in general is in trouble, and the West Coast is going to take the fall first.

And, no, I would never travel to California for only a 5K or 10K. In fact, I'm pretty sure I took my last West Coast RunDisney trip - I just realized I want to spend that money enjoying the parks and the dining, not having to miss fireworks and fun dining because I want to wake up way too early, stand around, run a race and get some bling.

This is the first year that there's not an option on the Disney Moms Panel to apply to be the RunDisney/Disney Sports Mom (not that she's been helpful, but still).

I think RunDisney in general is in trouble, and the West Coast is going to take the fall first.

And, no, I would never travel to California for only a 5K or 10K. In fact, I'm pretty sure I took my last West Coast RunDisney trip - I just realized I want to spend that money enjoying the parks and the dining, not having to miss fireworks and fun dining because I want to wake up way too early, stand around, run a race and get some bling.
Just out of curiosity, what makes you think that? RunDisney in Florida seems to be doing fine. Yes, some races are staying available longer and not selling out, but Marathon Weekend and Princess still draw huge numbers. It would really surprise me to see something change there.

It's definitely not looking good though for the West Coast at this point. Disneyland Half Weekend has been over for several days now and still not a single word.

I would for reals sign on to run through a disney park over and over for a long duration. I wouldn't even care if it was repetitive. I do it anyways all the time in my own neighborhood. Rather be like "oh look, Space Mountain again" instead of "oh look, that random yellow house again"

AGREED

I've been reading posts from people in the Light Side and Tink groups that more on-property hotel rooms have been opening up for those weekends (travel agent/charity room blocks being released?) and that Grad Nights has been moved to Mother's Day weekend, aka possibly Tink weekend. Might not mean anything, but...... :confused3

I would for reals sign on to run through a disney park over and over for a long duration. I wouldn't even care if it was repetitive. I do it anyways all the time in my own neighborhood. Rather be like "oh look, Space Mountain again" instead of "oh look, that random yellow house again"
That's pretty much my feeling on the matter.

I think West Coast RunDisney is finding its way to Yesterland. Enough time has passed since DL 1/2 weekend that they could analyze the impacts of the earlier starts, lower runners and higher SAG numbers, and they still have not announced an on sale date for SW Light Side. Paying contract workers instead of using bona fide volunteers increases the costs to RunDisney. Higher costs + lower registrations + lack of support from local businesses/residents/sponsors = no longer an acceptable return on investment.

Hope I am wrong of course but I think RunDisney sees profit in the FL races and the virtual races but not in CA. I know I will not travel to DL for anything less than a half. I go to FL every year for Marathon weekend.

One of the biggest aspects of Disney I’ve been waiting for all year, which my desire to know has been growing ever increasing, is the status/fate of DL races. Presently we are in limbo with nothing happening.

I do feel 4 race events are a bit much for DL. 2, maybe 3, tops. But which ones to cut?! I think the DL Half weekend would be the last to cut needless to say. Star Wars, Tink, and Avengers would be the order of cutting. Do we really need 2 Star Wars Weekends?! If rD were to cut only one, I’d cut Star Wars and move Tink to January or February. Simply my $.02.

I’ve never been to DL so if my family and I were to make a trip during a race weekend only offering a 5K and 10K I would sign up…..but only once. I truly hope to make it out to DL for the DL Half Marathon Weekend in the next few years and achieve CTC too. But I’d be less likely to make another trip to DL if they didn’t also offer half marathons. I highly ever doubt we’ll see a full in DL any time soon.

But now that race reason is back in swing, I fully expect rD to make some kind of announcement regarding the DL races or at the very least address the issues as to why no DL registrations are being opened.

Interesting.

Though didn't that only start for 2017 SW and Princess anyway?
I got it for Super Heroes last year although I didn't sign up. (I don't like not knowing what the theme is going to be when I sign up for something).

One of the biggest aspects of Disney I’ve been waiting for all year, which my desire to know has been growing ever increasing, is the status/fate of DL races. Presently we are in limbo with nothing happening.

I do feel 4 race events are a bit much for DL. 2, maybe 3, tops. But which ones to cut?! I think the DL Half weekend would be the last to cut needless to say. Star Wars, Tink, and Avengers would be the order of cutting. Do we really need 2 Star Wars Weekends?! If rD were to cut only one, I’d cut Star Wars and move Tink to January or February. Simply my $.02.

I’ve never been to DL so if my family and I were to make a trip during a race weekend only offering a 5K and 10K I would sign up…..but only once. I truly hope to make it out to DL for the DL Half Marathon Weekend in the next few years and achieve CTC too. But I’d be less likely to make another trip to DL if they didn’t also offer half marathons. I highly ever doubt we’ll see a full in DL any time soon.

But now that race reason is back in swing, I fully expect rD to make some kind of announcement regarding the DL races or at the very least address the issues as to why no DL registrations are being opened.

So, I've been lucky to run light side, Tink and the half this year. Tink, is the worst theme on a terrible date. Tink needs to go. Star Wars and the Half were just so much more fun. Maybe Tink can make an appearance but it is by far the most limiting theme. No wonder it has had the 2nd lowest attendance on top of a 2 year decline in bib sales. Star Wars and the Half did better.

So, I've been lucky to run light side, Tink and the half this year. Tink, is the worst theme on a terrible date. Tink needs to go. Star Wars and the Half were just so much more fun. Maybe Tink can make an appearance but it is by far the most limiting theme. No wonder it has had the 2nd lowest attendance on top of a 2 year decline in bib sales. Star Wars and the Half did better.

I don't remember, but I thought Tink did well back when it took place in the early winter time frame. But definitely agree with you in Tink being the more limited theme.

If it were me, I'd move Light Side to May (close to May the 4th, get it?!?!), cut Tink, and add a new Pixar themed race weekend in DL while adding a new Villians & Halloween-Themed race weekend in later October in WDW.

In terms of attendance, marathon weekend, princess, the dark side all have more runners than anything at Disneyland if I'm remember. Not sure about wine and dine anymore but I don't seem them messing with it since food and wine is such a draw. I can't see any new races coming to wdw or any themes being changed. Star Wars and Princesses are what makes the cash cow.

Enough time has passed since DL 1/2 weekend that they could analyze the impacts of the earlier starts, lower runners and higher SAG numbers,

Still not sure what the sag numbers have to do with anything, but with the temperatures over Labor Day I hope they aren't counted this year!!!

Still not sure what the sag numbers have to do with anything, but with the temperatures over Labor Day I hope they aren't counted this year!!!

The rumor I heard (before it got warm) was RunDisney was going to be very strict on pacing requirements during the DL 1/2 Marathon so they could demonstrate to the local governments that they can have the streets open by XYZ time.

The rumor I heard (before it got warm) was RunDisney was going to be very strict on pacing requirements during the DL 1/2 Marathon so they could demonstrate to the local governments that they can have the streets open by XYZ time.
SAG would certainly increase given the heat but in general I don't think that being strict on pacing requirements would have a big impact on their bottom line. Everyone running the races should know what the pacing requirements are going in given that they are clearly listed on the website. They've already paid for the race so Disney isn't losing money in that sense. runDisney has every right to reinforce their pretty generous pace restrictions.

I personally would hope it doesn't discourage too many people from running the races in the future given that everything is spelled out but perhaps I'm incorrect in that.

I did find it a little suspect at the timing of RunDisney FINALLY red-flagging the race and doing a hard sweep at Mile 8 (before the stadium) and Mile 10 (right after turning into the Cast Parking lot), especially with all the rumor and conjecture about RunDisney having to pander to the city more than ever before to get the roads open. ALL of the closure signs on the roads from the stadium to the finish indicated that the roads would be closed from 7 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. ... and even then, there was still one lane open for traffic and I NEVER saw any significant line-up of cars trying to get somewhere during the race.

Haven't they always?
I do think they are buckling down on this a little more - look at Tink where they shortened the course for some participants, cutting off almost a mile. I can't remember if they'd done that before. :confused3

I did find it a little suspect at the timing of RunDisney FINALLY red-flagging the race and doing a hard sweep at Mile 8 (before the stadium) and Mile 10 (right after turning into the Cast Parking lot), especially with all the rumor and conjecture about RunDisney having to pander to the city more than ever before to get the roads open. ALL of the closure signs on the roads from the stadium to the finish indicated that the roads would be closed from 7 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. ... and even then, there was still one lane open for traffic and I NEVER saw any significant line-up of cars trying to get somewhere during the race.

We were already feeling overheated in the corrals before we started and had trouble breathing through mile 4 in Disneyland because of the air and humidity. (Once we got to Anaheim streeets we were fine. Weird)

I was shocked that we never saw the flag go from yellow to red during our time on the course. I would have thought they'd error on the side of caution and make it a red flag from the get go.

You bring up an excellent point.

This was my first year running the DL 1/2 and it was so much warmer than I imagined it would be. I was surprised as well that I never saw the yellow flag change to red. I thought it was interesting that they didn't start on time either. I really thought with that last 'meeting' they were going to tell us that the race had been red-flagged. I loved this race, and running through the stadium and parks, but I will admit I enjoy running at WDW much more. We've been to DL twice and my husband is already tired of it :(

As @Keels said, I never noticed an issue with the traffic. I did, however, notice spectators coming onto the race route and running the race. I was surprised one lady didn't get caught, because I saw her run on when her husband ran by and then constantly saw her along the route. She even ran around a water spot so they wouldn't notice :sad2: I'm sure this happens at WDW as well, but I've never witnessed it like I did out there, especially multiple times.

I have said that I'm waiting until 2019 to do the Kessel Run Challenge, but looks like that might not be in the cards! I'm glad I got to run Tink last year, but I'm in the group who thinks that race can probably go away. It's not my favorite theme and it's very limiting, whereas Princess in WDW you can change around the theme every year. I'm interested to see what happens, but I'm leaning toward the inevitable that those two race weekends, atleast, are going away :sad1:

Someone pointed on in a FB group that proof of time is due October 10 for Light Side...

So in our never-ending guesses of "okay they have to say something by X date" I guess that is up next!popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!