Future of west coast runDisney

Also, @StartedByAMouse just posted this in the Avengers thread. Confirms why there's next to no entertainment on DL courses once you're out of the parks. I'd heard that the Red Hat Ladies posted a similar explanation as to why they weren't there for Tink but was too lazy to find the full text:

As many of you know, local WW2 reenactors have participated in the 1/2 Marathon for the past three years. We cheered and supported the runners from our position at Anaheim Stadium. I'm the coordinator of this group and I'm sorry to report that we will not be participating this year.

In the past, each participant received a ticket to Disneyland as compensation. As of this year, the Walt Disney Company is no longer offering a ticket for each individual. The new policy is to make a monetary donation to the "organization" to which the performers belong. Most performers at the Marathon were high school bands and such; they'll gladly accept a donation of several hundred dollars.

We however are not "one" group but rather a conglomeration of many groups, clubs, veterans and historians. We do not get our uniforms from rental stores; our authentic uniforms and gear are individually owned and cost hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. That's not to mention our individually owned vintage vehicles which are quite expensive to drive and maintain.

Whatever the Walt Disney Company's reasons, I have made the difficult decision that we cannot participate if our members do not receive a little something in return. I feel we provided one of the best 1940's impressions ever for the bargain price of a One-Day admission ticket.

In closing, while I am deeply disappointed about this year I'm grateful for the three years that we DID have to support YOU the runners! I had the opportunity to read many of your kind and supportive comments in this Facebook group. It made us feel very satisfied to have encouraged many of you to continue in the race. Although we will not be there physically this year please know that we all will be supporting you in spirit!

Sincerely,
Fred McDowell

While I know these people volunteer and give their time, I think it's foolish to not participate in something because you won't get your one day ticket. By being out there, your group is being seen and supported as well by the runners running by. The boy scouts were out in the stadium this year and it was amazing! While I love the groups out supporting us runners on the runs, I want them to be there because they WANT to be there and not because they are getting compensation for it. Sure it's awesome to get a one day park ticket, but do you need to have someone pat you on the back and say good job for getting out there? I'm sorry for the outburst. Not my usual thing. When I ran Tink last year, I absolutely loved seeing the Red Hat Ladies as I turned the corner into downtown. That was such a big boost and so wonderful to see all of them supporting! I had some of the ladies stop me in the park later that day and ask if they could videotape me and if I could tell them what the Red Hat Ladies support meant on the course. I felt so honored to tell them that it meant the world to me as a runner. It was disappointing to find out that they wouldn't be participating because there was no park ticket compensation.

While I know these people volunteer and give their time, I think it's foolish to not participate in something because you won't get your one day ticket. By being out there, your group is being seen and supported as well by the runners running by. The boy scouts were out in the stadium this year and it was amazing! While I love the groups out supporting us runners on the runs, I want them to be there because they WANT to be there and not because they are getting compensation for it. Sure it's awesome to get a one day park ticket, but do you need to have someone pat you on the back and say good job for getting out there? I'm sorry for the outburst. Not my usual thing. When I ran Tink last year, I absolutely loved seeing the Red Hat Ladies as I turned the corner into downtown. That was such a big boost and so wonderful to see all of them supporting! I had some of the ladies stop me in the park later that day and ask if they could videotape me and if I could tell them what the Red Hat Ladies support meant on the course. I felt so honored to tell them that it meant the world to me as a runner. It was disappointing to find out that they wouldn't be participating because there was no park ticket compensation.
I have to agree. We have spectators at our local races and as far as I know, they aren't comp'd anything. Who knows, maybe they are and I am just naive in thinking that they are there because they want to be! I never know these Disneyland groups got comp'd like that.

It's a weird move on Disney's part too. I think most people know by now that when you do a half at Disneyland, there's not a lot of park time - first few miles (up through mile 4ish) in the parks and then you're out in Anaheim for the rest of it. Because you're out in Anaheim, there are no Disney characters/official Disney entertainment. A big part of how runDisney made up for that was these groups - the one above, Red Hat Ladies for Tink, Classic Cars for Disneyland, 501st for Light Side...plus cover bands, high school bands, dance groups, etc. Disneyland half has the stadium run, but Tink didn't have anything like that - so what is the draw to doing the half over the 10K or 5K now in Disneyland? C2C and challenge medals, and feeling like the travel was "worth it" for a longer distance race, I guess...but with the entertainment cuts now confirmed it makes the Disneyland half marathons much less attractive. You know...assuming the half marathons are still happening.

Yeah, that post from the reenactment group REALLY left a bad taste in my mouth. I also thought it was a little tacky to post it in a group of people running a race to basically say "Hey, it takes a lot for us to dress up and do our thing but Disney won't give us a free ticket so we won't come out to support you, sorry. Bye."

I guess I just feel like some of these groups forget what they're out there for - on-course SUPPORT for runners.

Anyway, in looking back to that terribly hot half marathon, it makes me appreciate the people that were out there cheering us on EVEN MORE - the bands, the cars, the small group at the stadium. I loved Disneyland races because of the outside element of crowd support - those people in the neighborhoods and the city do it just because they want to support runners.

I kind of have a different take. I always figured that these groups were being compensated. RunDisney gave tickets to all of the volunteers (Medical, expo, water stations, entertainment, etc.) who met the criteria. These groups were being used as official on-course entertainment, so I wouldn't begrudge them the same perk that everyone else was given. I'm sure they feel equally undervalued. (Granted, I'm not sure his letter was the way to go) They were out at the crack of dawn, in all kinds of weather and stayed for hours. I still loved seeing them and they definitely contributed to the past success of the races. Loved my picture with the mini Stormtrooper! Anyway, just my 2 cents. :flower3:

So on the one hand I understand their desire to be reimbursed for their time. Reenactment is a serious hobby for many and as they said it's not cheap to show up with all their gear and hang out for several hours. They are sort of the equivalent of the on-course entertainment provided in WDW, just coming from the community instead of Disney. That being said, what leaves a bad taste in my mouth is the wording of the response that because of the makeup of their organization a monetary donation wasn't good enough. If it costs so much to maintain you would think they might be happy to support the runners for some sort of reimbursement. They could divide among the participants or give it to a reenactor that's fallen on hard times or even to hold an event of your own like a holiday party for the organizations or a dinner for those who came to support the runners.

Count me in on the naive side. I didn't know those people were being comped a 1 day ticket. I still love the Anaheim races for reasons that have nothing to do with on course entertainment so I would still run a half marathon there.

The people I get the most lift from during a race are my family and friends (if I see them or hear from them) and the other runners!!! I spent a half mile or more with a total stranger at Tink who was struggling with ankle pain. I had a lot of "check ins" from runners at wine and dine when it was me struggling. Runners' costumes, determination, and inspiration are what I love about races.

I enjoy seeing different parts of the area surrounding the parks and I enjoy challenging myself to complete a half marathon distance. In 2010 I couldn't take 3 steps walking forward - any time I get a chance to run now any distance I am grateful for.

But I would like to just shout out some benefits of the west coast races and why I do like them best:

Time (for east coasters especially). Not having to get up to be on a bus at 2.30am like in Florida
Weather (usually)
Houses and buildings and scenery vs highway
Walking to the start/finish is possible (vs bus)

Don't get me wrong - I love WDW races too but there's more to a disney race than just the in course entertainment and pictures. Like the "vacation" of being at a Disney resort! The acceptance of all ability levels and generous time limit and most important - in park bathrooms!!!! Anytime I can travel to a well organized location for a race now, I try to - what a wonderful way to see the world/country.

Could disney afford to comp these groups? maybe altho I don't know their finances or legal laws. But I would still run them even without those groups. In fact i thought the red hat ladies were there on their own desire or for publicity and I was SO inspired. I don't begrudge them compensation - but I guess I would have viewed it less sentimentally had I know they were only there bc they were getting park tickets. That may seem like nothing for the company but i wonder if there are new legal laws surrounding how they compensate those groups and what they might be required to do now is probably much more than the cost of the ticket.

Oh and all you spectators that make awesome signs - YOU ROCK!!!! And random family and people I don't know cheering on runners - you rock too!!

Yeah, that post from the reenactment group REALLY left a bad taste in my mouth. I also thought it was a little tacky to post it in a group of people running a race to basically say "Hey, it takes a lot for us to dress up and do our thing but Disney won't give us a free ticket so we won't come out to support you, sorry. Bye."

I guess I just feel like some of these groups forget what they're out there for - on-course SUPPORT for runners.

Anyway, in looking back to that terribly hot half marathon, it makes me appreciate the people that were out there cheering us on EVEN MORE - the bands, the cars, the small group at the stadium. I loved Disneyland races because of the outside element of crowd support - those people in the neighborhoods and the city do it just because they want to support runners.

THANK YOU for saying exactly how I am feeling but in a much nicer way than I would have posted it. The Disneyland Half course support was amazing and I thanked every person for going out there and sitting in that heat because it made the course so much better. The way that the WW2 guy phrased everything came across as selfish and I really don't need to see him or his crew there. Bye :)

THANK YOU for saying exactly how I am feeling but in a much nicer way than I would have posted it. The Disneyland Half course support was amazing and I thanked every person for going out there and sitting in that heat because it made the course so much better. The way that the WW2 guy phrased everything came across as selfish and I really don't need to see him or his crew there. Bye :)

The more I've thought about it, it just comes across as he thinks that the runners are just out there to see the reenactors and that's why we pay all the money.

This isn't dinner theater, it's a half marathon. The entertainment is definitely a value add, but the real reason people sign up is to run 13.1 miles.

The problem is simple. It's hard to take away the candy and then expect people to do the same thing they've done in the past. Everyone complains when Disney does something less than they've done before. I 100% agree that these groups need to get over it.. be there to support the runners regardless of the compensation or don't be there at all. They clearly are there to get a free ticket to the park. That is lame, but what did everyone really expect??? It's over, once the baby tastes the candy.

We were already feeling overheated in the corrals before we started and had trouble breathing through mile 4 in Disneyland because of the air and humidity. (Once we got to Anaheim streeets we were fine. Weird)

I was shocked that we never saw the flag go from yellow to red during our time on the course. I would have thought they'd error on the side of caution and make it a red flag from the get go.

You bring up an excellent point.

You must have gotten off the course earlier then I did. This was around 8:10 in the morning:

IMG_1111.JPG

I had friends out being my support on the course. And they visibly watched the flag get changed.

I never struggled with a race as much as I did with Disneyland. And I've ran a pretty hot ultra. My normal pace is about a 12 min mile right now but the heat got to me so much I was having trouble sticking with the 16 min mile pacers. The Galloway ones not the balloons.

The problem is simple. It's hard to take away the candy and then expect people to do the same thing they've done in the past. Everyone complains when Disney does something less than they've done before. I 100% agree that these groups need to get over it.. be there to support the runners regardless of the compensation or don't be there at all. They clearly are there to get a free ticket to the park. That is lame, but what did everyone really expect??? It's over, once the baby tastes the candy.
I think a lot of us didn't expect it because we didn't know they were getting comp'd in the first place.

Another on hold waiting for Light Side reservations.
We've done 3 RunDisney events(halfs and 10K's) the past 3 years and was planning on a Jan trip next year.
We are another group that will not fly 2,000+ miles to run a 5K.

If Anaheim is the issue and does not want to grant permits, we have no problem changing the plans and flying to Phoenix for the Rock and Roll marathon the same weekend.

Runner money spends in other areas just as well as it does in Anaheim.

Last edited:
What if the Disneyland races consisted of a 5k, 10k, and 15k? I would still be on board for flying out to Anaheim for a race weekend if for a 10k + 15k challenge, especially if it means there would still be race weekends on the West Coast.

Someone pointed on in a FB group that proof of time is due October 10 for Light Side...

So in our never-ending guesses of "okay they have to say something by X date" I guess that is up next!popcorn::

Wow. What are they thinking??

I never know these Disneyland groups got comp'd like that.

I didn't either until it all changed and i heard about the red hat ladies.

Yeah, that post from the reenactment group REALLY left a bad taste in my mouth.

That's how I felt when news about the red hat ladies got around.

These groups were being used as official on-course entertainment

Official? I've never thought of them as official. I thought they did it because they liked it. Liked to be there.

I don't want anyone there (as non-employee entertainment) who doesn't want to be there. And if they were only there for a ticket, they can stay away imo.

The people I get the most lift from during a race are my family and friends

I get the most lift from other peoples' families and friends who take the time to cheer and support total strangers. :):):)

@Keels, were you the one looking into the whole permit thing? Have I missed updates?

What if the Disneyland races consisted of a 5k, 10k, and 15k? I would still be on board for flying out to Anaheim for a race weekend if for a 10k + 15k challenge, especially if it means there would still be race weekends on the West Coast.
If the issue is not going out into Anaheim, I'm not sure how they could make a course that is 100% in-property and still have it be a 15K...

...having said that, I would totally be on-board with some different distances if they could figure out a way to do it. I'd love a 15K or 10-miler at Disney.

I don't remember, but I thought Tink did well back when it took place in the early winter time frame. But definitely agree with you in Tink being the more limited theme.

If it were me, I'd move Light Side to May (close to May the 4th, get it?!?!), cut Tink, and add a new Pixar themed race weekend in DL while adding a new Villians & Halloween-Themed race weekend in later October in WDW.

Yes, I remember when it was in Jan, it would regularly sell out and when they moved it, many people who were even legacy Tink stated they were done bc 1. it was in May (warmer month than Jan), and 2. fell on mothers day. I dont think it recovered from the move.
Personally, I love DL races more than running on highways for the majority of the miles. At least at DL, I felt more in the park and when I wasnt, there were people out cheering us on the entire way... at WDW there are long stretches of no one bc its highway. I love Tink BUT if it were to change, my vote would be the villians. Link it with the princesses and make a fun challenge that could incorporate both male and female characters...

Wow. What are they thinking??

I didn't either until it all changed and i heard about the red hat ladies.
That's how I felt when news about the red hat ladies got around.
Official? I've never thought of them as official. I thought they did it because they liked it. Liked to be there.
I don't want anyone there (as non-employee entertainment) who doesn't want to be there. And if they were only there for a ticket, they can stay away imo.
I get the most lift from other peoples' families and friends who take the time to cheer and support total strangers. :):):)

@Keels, were you the one looking into the whole permit thing? Have I missed updates?

I gather the military reenactor's words and red hat ladies' actions rubbed people the wrong way because they seemed a bit self-centered. We all like people to do things out of the goodness of their hearts. However, as soon as I saw the large groups of people in costume, at a Disney race, I figured they were invited, thus compensated and official. How else would they know about the inaugural race? It didn't lessen the impact in seeing them. I teared up seeing the red hat ladies. Every time. The cos players for LS absolutely made my race. They filled up some pretty boring spots on the course. I am just surprised that people thought a group of easily 50+ or more elderly ladies in red hats with walkers, wheelchairs and 02 would get up at 3 am to sit on a cold race course without some incentive. (Or permission) That had to be difficult for some of them. They cheered for every last runner and seemed genuinely touched to have runners stop for photos. I mean, the volunteers who poured water/cheered were also compensated. They were on course at 1 or 2 am to prepare. Even some small local races offer prizes for groups with the most enthusiasm, etc. The previously recruited groups/clubs are annoyed with rD for changing the previously offered comp. I get it. I can't be mad or disappointed at them. They decided, out of principle or whatever, that it wasn't acceptable, so they declined to return. Totally their choice. We runners (frequently) threaten to do the same thing whenever rD changes something we don't like, but we turn around and sign up for the next race any way... Those groups will be missed on the course. It won't be because they mean more to me than the random stranger giving out candy or my amazing friends who provided me cold water and towels at the DL half. It will be due to the fact that they greatly enhanced the overall atmosphere of these particular races, as runDisney intended them to do.

I do think that whole temp/volunteer thing played heavily into rD's decision on the compensation. Pretty sure they were extremely low on medical volunteers. Heard there was some sort of work around for the incentive, but I don't personally know what it was.

And nope, I am not a red hat lady, a cosplayer or a reenactor, just an old runner and volunteer of lots of races (big and small) :flower2:

Last edited:
I had just gained an interest in the Everest race - RunDisney DID announce that that would be the last running of the challenge, right?

When the ToT 10-Miler went away ... did it ever get an announcement, or did it stop showing up on the race schedule?

I had just gained an interest in the Everest race - RunDisney DID announce that that would be the last running of the challenge, right?

When the ToT 10-Miler went away ... did it ever get an announcement, or did it stop showing up on the race schedule?
It didn't show up on the race schedule and then they did confirm it...somewhere. I can't find a link, which is driving me nuts, but I definitely remember them using the word "suspended." Not "canceled" or "retired"..."suspended."

This thread (which was started by a really cool person ;) ) has some info someone received about deferring their entry (remember when we could do that?!) and an answer from (LOL) the Moms Panel. At the time I think most of us thought it was a temporary thing due to the Backlot construction.

I'm still hoping this one will come back when DHS - or whatever they decide to call it - becomes a full park again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!