Future of west coast runDisney

I gather the military reenactor's words and red hat ladies' actions rubbed people the wrong way because they seemed a bit self-centered. We all like people to do things out of the goodness of their hearts. However, as soon as I saw the large groups of people in costume, at a Disney race, I figured they were invited, thus compensated and official. How else would they know about the inaugural race? It didn't lessen the impact in seeing them. I teared up seeing the red hat ladies. Every time. The cos players for LS absolutely made my race. They filled up some pretty boring spots on the course. I am just surprised that people thought a group of easily 50+ or more elderly ladies in red hats with walkers, wheelchairs and 02 would get up at 3 am to sit on a cold race course without some incentive. (Or permission) That had to be difficult for some of them. They cheered for every last runner and seemed genuinely touched to have runners stop for photos. I mean, the volunteers who poured water/cheered were also compensated. They were on course at 1 or 2 am to prepare. Even some small local races offer prizes for groups with the most enthusiasm, etc. The previously recruited groups/clubs are annoyed with rD for changing the previously offered comp. I get it. I can't be mad or disappointed at them. They decided, out of principle or whatever, that it wasn't acceptable, so they declined to return. Totally their choice. We runners (frequently) threaten to do the same thing whenever rD changes something we don't like, but we turn around and sign up for the next race any way... Those groups will be missed on the course. It won't be because they mean more to me than the random stranger giving out candy or my amazing friends who provided me cold water and towels at the DL half. It will be due to the fact that they greatly enhanced the overall atmosphere of these particular races, as runDisney intended them to do.

I do think that whole temp/volunteer thing played heavily into rD's decision on the compensation. Pretty sure they were extremely low on medical volunteers. Heard there was some sort of work around for the incentive, but I don't personally know what it was.

And nope, I am not a red hat lady, a cosplayer or a reenactor, just an old runner and volunteer of lots of races (big and small) :flower2:
I completely agree. The off-property entertainment went a long way in making the DL races as fun as, if not even better than, the WDW races. I've done plenty of high-profile city runs, and none pull the crowds that I've seen in Anaheim. I never expected that all of those people would show up for long hours without some sort of compensation. It's not as if Run Disney is a soup kitchen.

I am just surprised that people thought a group of easily 50+ or more elderly ladies in red hats with walkers, wheelchairs and 02 would get up at 3 am to sit on a cold race course without some incentive. (Or permission)

I've never seen them.

But there are people out on overpasses at WDW (and I don't know HOW they get there) early early (or late late for the TOT 2013) with awesome signs. So it's not shocking to me that there are passionate people out there who are willing to do cool things for other people for nothing.

And I had ZERO idea they were compensated until the RHL articles came out.

I volunteered in the freezing cold for January marathon weekend 5K in 2014, and all I got was a box of food, a jacket, and credit towards a free ticket *someday* once I get enough points or whatever. And the RHLs get a free ticket for being out for one race?

I mean, the volunteers who poured water/cheered were also compensated.

Yes. They are obviously official.

When the ToT 10-Miler went away ... did it ever get an announcement, or did it stop showing up on the race schedule?

I don't remember an announcement. I just remember sadness.

At the time I think most of us thought it was a temporary thing due to the Backlot construction.

Yep.

I've never seen them.

But there are people out on overpasses at WDW (and I don't know HOW they get there) early early (or late late for the TOT 2013) with awesome signs. So it's not shocking to me that there are passionate people out there who are willing to do cool things for other people for nothing.

And I had ZERO idea they were compensated until the RHL articles came out.

I volunteered in the freezing cold for January marathon weekend 5K in 2014, and all I got was a box of food, a jacket, and credit towards a free ticket *someday* once I get enough points or whatever. And the RHLs get a free ticket for being out for one race?

The Florida and the California volunteer programs were different. I only worked DL, but I have family members who worked WDW. As far as volunteer "incentives" aka tickets, the group thing was different than the individual volunteer comps. The groups had to apply and promise a certain number of volunteers (50?) in order to qualify. I don't know if entertainment fell under that group label or if it was a separate category. I am sure they only had to work one shift. I know individuals volunteering Wed - Saturday had to work a 2 shift minimum in order to qualify for the ticket. People working the half marathon day had to work that one shift to qualify. I think because the shifts were so long. Everyone got the box of food, a bottle of water and the fabulously bright volunteer t-shirt. Expo volunteers got the nice lunch, a bottle of water and the t-shirt. That supposedly had to something to do with outside food/catering in the hotel. We really wanted those jackets :-)

Yes. They are obviously official.

I don't remember an announcement. I just remember sadness.

Yep.

Doesn't demanding better compensation for "volunteering" kind of make the "doing a good deed for others" thing a mute point? I volunteer 12 times a year at a minimum (once a month) and sometimes I get nothing but a thank you and other times I get cool stuff. I still volunteer each and every year regardless of what the gift might or might not be.

Doesn't demanding better compensation for "volunteering" kind of make the "doing a good deed for others" thing a mute point? I volunteer 12 times a year at a minimum (once a month) and sometimes I get nothing but a thank you and other times I get cool stuff. I still volunteer each and every year regardless of what the gift might or might not be.

I agree that volunteering means that you give your time without requesting compensation. Most of the races and organizations that I volunteer for don't give you anything, except a shirt. I did it because I liked the organization, the cause or it was a unique opportunity. I know a lot of kids use race volunteering as part of their "community service". In the case of the Red Hat Ladies and Cos players, runDisney offered that compensation for them to participate as entertainment, so I am not even sure they fall into the same "volunteer" category. I think they weighed the time and effort and decided this was not for them.

I think a lot of large races offer some sort of incentive because they need to ensure that they have enough bodies (hundreds!) to cover all the water stations, bib pick up, etc. Incentive comes in all forms - a pin, tickets, race entry, etc. It would be different if every participant committed to volunteer at a few races a year to give back, but they don't. I know plenty of runners who have never volunteered at all. Clearly a lot of people liked volunteering for runDisney because of that incentive or they wouldn't have had such issues getting people to sign up for the last two DL races with the temp agencies. DL volunteer sign-ups had become more difficult to get into than the race itself. If we start questioning the motives of all the volunteers (which I totally admit that I have done), then I am guessing that a lot of races (not just Disney) will run short on help.

Apropos of nothing, but if anyone was curious how RunDisney does volunteer "compensation" on the East Coast and how they used to do it on the West Coast:

* If you work a race shift (medals, corrals, water stations, etc.), you get a t-shirt, a snack box OR breakfast box and upon completion of your shift, you'll scan out and receive a one-day, one-park ticket in the mail 4-6 weeks later (they just don't hand out tickets when you're walking away)
* If you work an Expo shift (bibs, t-shirts, etc.), you get a t-shirt, a catered breakfast or lunch and after you work enough hours (last year, it was 12 hours per park ticket), you would qualify for a one-day, one-park ticket. The hours aggregate over the course of a year (and over various events at WWoS - Special Olympics, youth tournaments, etc.) and you receive your park tickets in the mail 4-6 weeks after the last Disney Sports event of the year (last year, it was Wine & Dine Half Weekend).

Quite a few of the elderly people I worked bib pick-up with said they would work enough hours to give their grandchildren the tickets for Christmas/birthdays and they usually had the tickets in hand by Christmas. I got my tickets two days before I left for Orlando last year (so, December 18th or so ... I'm not pulling up a calendar). They're blacked out from Christmas Eve through New Year's.

There's also a difference in what you are volunteering for. While rd has charities that participate it is a for profit event so the type of person that may volunteer is probably different from the one volunteering for race for the cure or leukemia and lymphoma run/walks.

I've volunteered for various run/walks throughout the years but all were non profit runs so I don't expect anything other than the shirt you may require me to wear. If I was to volunteer for rd I would expect more than a free t-shirt since my free labor is helping them make a profit. That's where I see the difference and I imagine is probably in line with the groups. Sure they get exposure but not enough to justify not getting anything at all. And that doesn't mean they don't donate their time elsewhere without compensation but I imagine it's for non profits when they do.

But I would like to just shout out some benefits of the west coast races and why I do like them best:

Time (for east coasters especially). Not having to get up to be on a bus at 2.30am like in Florida
Weather (usually)
Houses and buildings and scenery vs highway
Walking to the start/finish is possible (vs bus)

Ugh all of this right here is making me dread my first WDW race.

Ugh all of this right here is making me dread my first WDW race.
Don't dread it. The waking up early is awful BUT here are some pros for Florida races.
- More character/on course entertainment since it's on Disney property
- Disney throughout (all Anaheim half marathons go through the parks only during the first few miles)
- You may not even want to walk after you race. Air conditioned buses are nice.

@Anisum -- Okay, that does make me feel better. The first time I did the Anaheim Half, I did run through Angel's Stadium though and THAT was awesome.

That why I love the DL races more then the WDW ones, the time change is just so much easier on my body. Not to mention the no bus thing.

For west coast races I have only done LS twice and DL half and man the LS weather was great both years versus pretty warm conditions in September. But I know I'll keep doing them no matter what. DS in April has been hot & humid the last 2 years and I keep signing up LOL

Last edited:
The September weather during the DL Half can be pretty bad. I don't even know what to expect for weather at WDW in November for the W&D but I know it will be more humid than I am used to being in Arizona. I am still excited to finally go to WDW and do the W&D and get my C2C medal, but I think I'll just stick to DL because it's closer for me anyway. As long as they stop taking away all the runs!

The September weather during the DL Half can be pretty bad. I don't even know what to expect for weather at WDW in November for the W&D but I know it will be more humid than I am used to being in Arizona. I am still excited to finally go to WDW and do the W&D and get my C2C medal, but I think I'll just stick to DL because it's closer for me anyway. As long as they stop taking away all the runs!
It seems like November here is a hit or miss. I know when they used to do it at night, it was either the last night one or the one prior that they had to cut the course bc of rain but other than that it wasnt bad. I usually love running outside come mid november bc the temp is 60's-70's....

I had just gained an interest in the Everest race - RunDisney DID announce that that would be the last running of the challenge, right?

When the ToT 10-Miler went away ... did it ever get an announcement, or did it stop showing up on the race schedule?
EDIT: They did announce that Everest was the last one. I think the difference is that they had decided that BEFORE registration happened. They didn't decide that ToT was going away until people had already registered for it.

I doubt it. The Disneyland parking battle has been going on for years. It has picked up in the last year especially with the eastern gateway proposal. I just think it’s multiple factors playing a role in runDisney taking a hiatus in Anaheim.

Don't think the article is all about the parking structure deal. Its a long article but if you read further down.. there's more to it.. i.e. Police pay, etc

If you work a race shift (medals, corrals, water stations, etc.), you get a t-shirt, a snack box OR breakfast box and upon completion of your shift, you'll scan out and receive a one-day, one-park ticket in the mail 4-6 weeks later (they just don't hand out tickets when you're walking away)

That's not all distances, though.

For the 5k it's more like the expo, with needing a certain number of hours.

Don't think the article is all about the parking structure deal. Its a long article but if you read further down.. there's more to it.. i.e. Police pay, etc
Well of course. Anaheim has always given into Disney and some people don’t like that and some do. I just don’t think based on what’s been said about the races that the council is the one thing cancelling them. Could they be part of it? Sure but there is a lot too it. Anaheim is so much different than WDW.

That's not all distances, though.

For the 5k it's more like the expo, with needing a certain number of hours.

They definitely changed it - I got a park ticket last year for course monitoring the Jingle Jungle 5K.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter