FYI re scooter/wheelchair charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
I just read an interesting post on Facebook from a disabled person who had to rent a wheelchair at WDW (her first trip). Her opinion was that she was offended that WDW charged for wheelchair/scooter rentals in the park, and she felt this was very unfriendly to the handicapped, that disabilities weren't a choice and therefore charging was offensive, ec. Yet some others, who were also disabled, defended WDW. I never thought of this issue. Opinions?

Last edited:
There's a thread here, maybe the same family? https://www.disboards.com/threads/wheelchair-charge.3683504/

My opinion is that Disney's responsibility is to be accessible to disabled guests (lines, buildings, restaurants, service animals) but beyond that, I would not expect free and unlimited mobility devices to be available.
DId I just read what I thought I did from that thread wow... Some people just want things for free...

How about free strollers?

I've used scooters for a while now and I would never expect not to pay. I'm happy they are available for rental. The same is true with wheelchairs. We would bring our own wheelchair for my mom. You can buy one.

When you take this to the extreme then why should anyone be charged for buying a scooter or wheelchair?

Or food - we all need food, right?

I responded on that thread. I can't stand it when people treat others who happen to have a disability like they are just one big charity case, etc. People with disabilities don't need pity, they need opportunities to be independent and productive members of our society, to the best of their ability. To treat them like they can't be expected to do anything, and have everything handed to them does not help them become part of the community at all, IMO. I think everyone should be able to experience a feeling of accomplishment, no matter who you are.

A Disney trip is generally so expensive that seems like renting a WC or scooter is a drop in the bucket along with everything else already said lol

I responded to that other thread as well. Over there, I equated a wheelchair to a car. Even in an area where you need a car to get around, would you expect a dealership to give you a discount because you can't afford one? No. It is expectations like that which feed the stereotype that people with disabilities are helpless and have or should have zero personal responsibility. I was born with my disability, so I have a different experience. I will be charitable (word choice used intentionally) and guess that this is a person who has a new disability, and is working through those early feelings. However, these types of expectations do not help the fight for education on equal access at all.

Really let's imagine that Disney DID provide mobility devices. HOW MUCH SPACE would be needed to store the hundreds (maybe thousands) of mobility devices backstage somewhere? Would we have yet another monorail stop before the gates because now there would be TTC and then Mobility Services? And there are so many different types of devices! NO WAY Disney could keep inventory of them all... that is WHY there are dozens of companies in the Orlando area who support this business need. Probably at any given time, WDW has at least 25% of its visitors using some kind of device, whether it's needed permanently, or for an injury or because WDW is just so expansive.

Plus once Disney bought a large fleet of mobility devices, they'd HAVE to raise prices again. ;) Which would put the affordability of a trip to WDW for a disabled family even MORE out of reach...

I’m going to add a link to this thread to the other thread on the same subject, then close this thread (since I don’t seem to be able to merge threads any more).
That thread was originally started on a different board and was moved here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter