FYI: resort parking fees

tramps’lady

Mouseketeer
hi everybody, just a heads up. We had two resort stays this month at the CR and the WL. reservations made after the March cutoff for free parking. We have a disabled plate and both times have been charged for parking and had to get it reversed. We valet parked both times but were charged for self parking. I spoke with guest services today and was told they set up the charges when you enter the gate your first time. If you have a handicapped placard or plate, please inform the front desk sometime on your first day so you will not be charged for parking even if you valet. We usually do online check-in and avoid the front desk but guess that won't work anymore.

I'm confused-if we have a handicapped placard, we'll get charged for self-parking but not for valet parking? If so, that kind of doesn't make sense-the valets get paid, self-parking doesn't involve any labor charges.

they told me, when you scan in at the gate, they mark if you have a car but don’t check for handicapped placards or plates. you must go to the desk and tell them you have a placard or plate and then they won’t charge you. Maybe if you mention it to the gate guard, it might work out but i would still check with the desk. I figured it was just a fluke when we got charged at the CR. but it happened again at WL. we actually checked in with the club level and nobody asked about the car at all. It seems they are charging everybody unless you are proactive and know you should not be charged and bring it up.

Both self parking and valet are free for handicapped placard or plate holders but you must tell the front desk even if you valet so they don’t charge you for self-parking. i’m confused too. the purpose of online check-in was to ease lines at the desk but now you need to go to the desk anyway in this situation. definitely something Disney needs to work on. We are going back next month to the Yacht Club, will see what they do as we will have two vehicles, both with FL disabled vet plates.

Maybe eventually they will have something in the online checkin where you can note reason for no charge for parking. That is probably just a dream, but we all had a dream once didn't we. ;)

I'm confused-if we have a handicapped placard, we'll get charged for self-parking but not for valet parking? If so, that kind of doesn't make sense-the valets get paid, self-parking doesn't involve any labor charges.

To me, the free valet makes sense because it gets the disabled guest right to the door.

I don't understand why they don't charge for handicapped surface parking - they certainly should, IMO.

I don't understand why they don't charge for handicapped surface parking - they certainly should, IMO.

I would agree personally, but many people expect free parking with a placard and I would bet Disney doesn't want to deal with the backlash.

The reason that in many localities placard holders have free parking at parking meters is because there are placard holders who have disabilities that make it difficult to pay the meter. It wasn't intended as a financial incentive for placard holders. That was just a side effect. However, so many people expect it now I can see why Disney would rather not get into it, and just not charge placard holders.

Prior to our trip next month, I reached out to our Resort Manager's team, and was told to stop at the Front Desk upon arrival and inform them of where we parked, and our tag number, and to make sure that the hangtag/placard/plates were visible.

To me, the free valet makes sense because it gets the disabled guest right to the door.

I agree with everyone paying to park I mean the disabled have complained for years for equal access and now they get something extra ( free parking I see no one complaining) I think the only time they should get free valet parking is when all the handicap spots are gone just as non handicap should get free valet parking when all the none handicap places are gone

I would agree personally, but many people expect free parking with a placard and I would bet Disney doesn't want to deal with the backlash.

The reason that in many localities placard holders have free parking at parking meters is because there are placard holders who have disabilities that make it difficult to pay the meter. It wasn't intended as a financial incentive for placard holders. That was just a side effect. However, so many people expect it now I can see why Disney would rather not get into it, and just not charge placard holders.

Disney has had no problems with the backlash from some GAC user when the DAS started still in court this day over this

I am surprised having a handicap placard gives you free parking.

me too I think they should be charged just like everyone else

Me too, I did not know this was a thing. Where exactly is this perk available other then at WDW?

Several states offer free metered parking for those with HA plate/placard -- street-side meters and public parking lots or garages run by the local government. I'm not sure if it legally must extend to privately managed parking lots/garages, but it often does.

i’m confused too. the purpose of online check-in was to ease lines at the desk but now you need to go to the desk anyway in this situation.
Online check-in (always optional) predates parking fees by a number of years. I guess it's the guests' choice whether the inconvenience is worth the saving.
Maybe eventually they will have something in the online checkin where you can note reason for no charge for parking.
How would someone prove online that they're eligible to have the parking fee waived?
Specifically, the intent of disabled parking is to get the eligible person out of the flow of traffic as quickly and safely as possible.

Specifically, the intent of disabled parking is to get the eligible person out of the flow of traffic as quickly and safely as possible.

Yes, but I'm talking specifically about not charging for valet, and I understand why they don't charge for it - that makes sense to me. It makes zero sense that they aren't charging those with a handicap tag/placard for surface parking.

Not charging them doesn't get them out of the flow of traffic any faster.

Me too, I did not know this was a thing. Where exactly is this perk available other then at WDW?

There are some hotels, usually high end, that normally charge everyone for parking that will waive the fee. We have had it waived often but NEVER at any hotel in Orlando. We have asked and we get "we don't do that at this location". We have had it waived at the Waldorf Astoria in Key West, and Embassy Suites in many downtown areas ... but not Orlando anywhere. My thought process at some of those is that they had very limited handicap spots close to the hotel and maybe it was a "sorry we couldn't get you closer" which makes sense why valet may be free ... it's all about their use of real estate.

Several states offer free metered parking for those with HA plate/placard -- street-side meters and public parking lots or garages run by the local government. I'm not sure if it legally must extend to privately managed parking lots/garages, but it often does.

In FL town I part-time live all CITY/GOVT owned meters and garages offer free parking for handicapped plates/placards but you still must adhere to the time limits. NO private owned lot has to abide by the rule. I would say Disney does not have to offer this, and I don't get it. It really does offer above and beyond to those guests. I will say we rarely can get a handicapped spot and am sure many folks are upset about the shortage (not legally just in proportion to guest demographics) so maybe it's to stop "why should I pay when I can't even get a handicapped spot."

I still find the entire parking issue quite confusing, they don't seem to be charging anyone with consistency, they have no idea when I enter/leave those gates if it's my car, a friend or uber/lyft driver. They don't ask for plates. And now all I have to do is tell them I have HC and they will waive my parking ....

Will be testing this in October.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter