GAC changes - July & Aug 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the mother of a child with autism I was touched by your story. You did the right thing by checking with the mother first before offering the child something. That should be done with any child. If the mother was worried about undoing months of work she would have said no. Depending on the level of meltdown with my son, nothing is lost or gained by trying to reason with him. We have given in at times with no harm done. The battle with the child is much easier without a hundred judgemental eyes staring. Even parents of typical kids give in sometime just to "shut the kid up" (for lack of better words) in a public setting.

What you did was sweet and kind. That mother is probably still so grateful for the kind stranger with the Mickey. Don't let naysayers discourage you from acting from your heart in the future.

Thank you! I couldn't sleep last night I was so upset by the comment of pp. I know I don't have a child a much sad situ for me and DW because we could not adopt due to my health ( not oddly enough because we are a same sex couple lol ) and I don't pretend to know what it's like to be a parent of any child. All I saw was a mother in a situation of no return and I wanted to help. I did look for her guidance knowing this was a new arena to me. but what I didn't understand was why other parents more experienced than I were being so intolerant. If I felt for her and that poor dear boy so upset, so out of control in his own mind but not possessing the ability to reason himself back to a safe place. Why could they not see what I saw? Why do others judge you so?

Thank you! I couldn't sleep last night I was so upset by the comment of pp. I know I don't have a child a much sad situ for me and DW because we could not adopt due to my health ( not oddly enough because we are a same sex couple lol ) and I don't pretend to know what it's like to be a parent of any child. All I saw was a mother in a situation of no return and I wanted to help. I did look for her guidance knowing this was a new arena to me. but what I didn't understand was why other parents more experienced than I were being so intolerant. If I felt for her and that poor dear boy so upset, so out of control in his own mind but not possessing the ability to reason himself back to a safe place. Why could they not see what I saw? Why do others judge you so?

Please do not give that poster the power. You acted out of kindness-the parent agreed. There is NOTHING for you to feel bad about.

We are annual pass holders and my husband has used a GAC for a couple of months, every since a knee procedure that made his knees worse. Disney only provides a GAC for a few weeks at a time so you have to get a replacement. He went to get one about a week ago and they gave him one - no questions asked, no documentation necessary (as before). However, they told him he could get a wheelchair at the entrance to the ride and we would have to push him through the standby line. Previously, they sent us through the fast pass line so he minimized time standing in line. He hasn't used the card yet because he went with out of town guests and didn't want to impose on them by asking them to push him through the line. I'm not sure how this will affect our trips to the park... I told my husband I don't think that Disney will be able to keep up with the demand for wheelchairs at the rides and will send guests through the fast pass line as a last resort.

Must be very difficult with a child with autism in the parks. I was waiting for a bus with my rollator and this lady and her DS were next to me. The child ( about 8 ) went from zero to complete no reasoning in the space of 3 minutes because he wanted the Mickey Mouse hanging on my rollator. The Mom told him it belonged to me and bless him he just didn't understand why he couldn't have it. I didn't know what to do I was desperate to help her as she said Dad had taken her DD for a swim and some alone time as because of the way things were with DS she didn't get much time focussed on her. So I whispered to her did she want the Mickey Mouse I could easily replace it , it would be my pleasure as clearly the son was autistic. ( he was rocking at this stage whole bus line looking and he had started to get violent ) . She said yes through tears and offered me money but I didn't want it. I gave it to the boy if he promised to be good for his mum which he did. Melt down over. He sat silently with Mickey until the bus arrived all was well but then.. This woman also waiting in the line started to interfere... You should not have given in to him..... You are building a monster... Blame blame blame..

I was horrified. People must blame you all the time but they would not blame you if it was a physical disability it's just this influences behaviour. People don't see the brain is just like any other matter in the body we can't always control it.

I wish people could be more understanding of us. I frequently get tuts and sighs at daring to take an extra minute to be loaded onto the bus. I live with this pain and disability 24 x 7 and it held them up for one moment! People complain that GAC gets you something they don't get. I say try living as us for one day, or the sibling of somebody with autism. A GAC card offers little comfort but we do cherish what it does offer. I hope Disney do not give in to this impatient mass of me me me culture. Walt would be mortified.

Ok I like what Universal are offering but I don't think guys and girls we should have to pay our way in Disney to be normal. Let's fight for your children and the likes of me! We deserve it.

As a mom who has 2 kids with special needs, I know your kindness and willingness to reach out truly made a difference for this mom and her son. I never forget when people are kind to my children - it always remains in my heart.

Some of these other posts make me so sad.

There are very few lines that are out in the sun. When we went with mum (due to chemo she was very sun sensitive), we found walking between rides much more of a problem. We didn't know about GACs at the time (I'm having trouble thinking of one that would have helped anyway), but what we did at one or two attractions was have her wait at the point that the line went indoors and she joined us when we reached that point. Might not have been a perfect solution but it worked for us (and no one said anything when she joined us - possibly because they could see her waiting there as we approached, so they knew she had waited the full time and these points were still well away from the ride load zone).

Good tip. Thanks!

I used to get irritated by some of the ignorant and hateful comments some people make on these threads but then I realized that they are just instigators and really have no affect on our lives. They can say whatever they want. It doesn't change the fact that we qualify for the offered accommodations and will be getting them whether they like it or not. Complain all you want. We're still going to have a wonderful Disney vacation. :cool1:

I used to get irritated by some of the ignorant and hateful comments some people make on these threads but then I realized that they are just instigators and really have no affect on our lives. They can say whatever they want. It doesn't change the fact that we qualify for the offered accommodations and will be getting them whether they like it or not. Complain all you want. We're still going to have a wonderful Disney vacation. :cool1:

Thank you! ::yes::

Yeah! :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter