GAC letter acceptable?

riu girl

DIS Veteran
Will this be acceptable by a guest services CM:

When obtaining a GAC for my daughter, can I hand the CM a typed letter (from me) instead of having me verbally explain her needs? I don't want my DD to hear the conversation so I am hoping to simply be able to hand the CM a letter and then have the CM ask me any questions about it. By writing the letter, I won't forgot anything either, plus I won't have to manage my daughter's behaviour and speak to the CM at the same time.

Has anyone elver done this, and does this make sense at all?

It makes perfect sense to me. I think it's a great idea. However, I have never done it so I can't say how it will be recieved.

I think that is an EXCELLENT idea and totally acceptable. I too hate talking about my son when he is right there and explaining over and over again. Yep, definately a brilliant idea. Maybe you could put in the beginning of the letter that you are writing it because you prefer not to discuss your daughters heath issues in front of her as it makes her uncomfortable/is embarassing. That would work very smoothly.

Virginia

I don't see that the CMs would have any problem with it, especially if handed to them with a smile and a comment about not wanting to have your DD overhear all the things you need to mention to them.
I forgot if you were going to be at WDW alone with your DD. If not, she doesn't need to be right next to you. She could be off to the side with another member of your party so that you can talk with the CM a little more privately. She just needs to be there so they can see her.
From talking to CMs, what they do have problems with is people who bring in a prescription form their doctor that says "Give little Timmy immediate access to rides without waiting in any lines."

All the times weve taken DS, Ive not once taken him to Guest services with me to obtain my GAC(thus no fear of DS over hearing what Im saying).

Jules

Originally posted by signtalker
All the times weve taken DS, Ive not once taken him to Guest services with me to obtain my GAC(thus no fear of DS over hearing what Im saying).

Jules
Maybe not, but others have posted they were told that the person with a disability must be present to request a GAC and CMs who work in Guest Services have confirmed that.
So, even though you may not have needed to bring your DS in, I would not count on it.

I think, what people are told and what people do, tend to mean 2 different things.
I purposely dont take DS so he dosest hear me explaining his disabilities, or the help we require.
I always have a letter of confirmation upon my person should they need, to clarify what I am saying!.

Jules

Yes it makes perfect sense, we did the same thing back in June. I handed a letter that I had typed myself and the only thing they asked me was the number of people in my party!!! They gave me gac for all 13 of us!!!

Originally posted by wward0411
They gave me gac for all 13 of us!!!
Just so people are aware...
6 is the usual limit for a GAC (5 plus the person with a disability).
Even with 6, there are times when you will be asked to split into smaller parties - usually because of the amount of space available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter