GAC question...trip is next week...dd is 7yo

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi, our 7 yo dd was granted a wish from Make A Wish Foundation and GIVE KIDS THE WORLD 3 years ago to visit WDW. That trip was amazing!

We are going next week and although we know dd will not get the same GAC (basically a FRONT OF THE LINE card) we hope she can get some sort of GAC that will allow her either more comfy or shade.

dd can not wait in lines (standing or even sitting) for too long due to medical (I will bring she hospital info and GKTW card from last trip). The heat and time will tire her out immediately. We will get her a stroller at the parks and request a stroller as wheelchair pass, but that still has dd waiting (sitting is always better than standing for dd) but still, long waits will KONK her out. We know there is also a pass that will allow dd to wait in the shade but I don't know how that works, would that be a longer wait? PLEASE HELP! THANKS

SandraC
º0º
1975 - off site
1977 - off site
1987 - Indian Rock Shores
1990 - Holiday Inn International Drive/Daytona Beach
1998 - KIDS VILLAGE, GIVE KIDS THE WORLD, Make-a-Wish trip with 4.5 year old daughter born ill),
2001 APRIL - CBR - ON SITE FIRST TIME! YIPPY! With dd 7 years old, ds 15 months old!

Don't worry. Just go to Guest Services in the park that you are visiting first and tell them what difficulties you are concerned about. You won't need to show them any doctor's letter or your old pass and I would not show it unless you have a problem gett ing what you need after you explain. They have various stamps that can be put on the GAC and they can combine two stamps, so your card could say, for example, to let you use a stroller as a wheelchair and to be able to wait in the shade.
For most things w ith fastpass, they will have you use that. The wait in the fastpass line is usually only about 10 minuites.
For most rides, the wait is longer for someone who needs to stay in their wheelchair or needs total assistance to get on the ride (which is the cas e with our DD) because there are only one or 2 cars per ride that can accomidate a wheelchair and if there is not a wheelchair car, the ride may need to be stopped to let them get on. There are a few (very few) rides/attractions where EVERYONE with special needs has to wait longer. The one that comes to my mind right away is the Safari at AK. I suggest that if you plan to go to AK, save it for your coollest day because most of the attractions are outside.
teri is working on a FAQ which includes questions about GACs. She will probably respond to this post, but if she doesn't, just go to one of her posts and follow the links to the FAQs.c

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
`

Hey, SueM, you talkin to me? ;)

Just click on the link in my signature, the GAC information is there. :)

teri.GIF
DIS disABILITIES Discussion Board FAQ under construction!
"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

Hi, thanks for all your help! I was wondering why you mentioned that I should not show dd's medical info/doctor's letters and old GAC pass from GKTW. I thought this info would support my explanation of dd's condition.

THANKS!
S

SandraC
º0º
1975 - off site
1977 - off site
1987 - Indian Rock Shores
1990 - Holiday Inn International Drive/Daytona Beach
1998 - KIDS VILLAGE, GIVE KIDS THE WORLD, Make-a-Wish trip with 4.5 year old daughter born ill),
2001 APRIL - CBR - ON SITE FIRST TIME! YIPPY! With dd 7 years old, ds 15 months old!

I say not to show the letter because it is not necessary to show it. The ADA allows you to ask for needed assistance without having to show proof that you need it.
I am a nurse and I know most doctor's letters are "medicaleze", not language that an average person will understand. It won't help the CM to know that your DD has a heart condition of a certain type because they don't have any training to know what that means. In fact, it sometimes works against you. If they know a little about the condition, the CM might make wrong assumptions about what you need (based on past experience or on skimming what you give them to look at).
What they need to know is what sorts of assistance you need and you are the best person to explain that. Be specific: "she can't wait in line because this will happen ....." When they give you a Guest Assistance Card, read it and ask questions if you want to know what it will/will not allow you to do. If you are not getting what you need, ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain your needs again and then you always have the letter as back up.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter