GAC questions (more)

graygables

<font color=blue>Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K P
Is there somewhere that can tell me what I am supposed to be asking for when I get a GAC for my DDs? Every time I've gone to WDW lately, it's been like pulling teeth getting any help. The stroller as wheelchair one is obvious, but we also have Asperger's, ADHD, ODD, CD, and sensory issues. They can't handle waiting in line for very long. Period. I have asked for an alternate entrance, but if the queue is "accessible", there is no alternate entrance. I guess I don't know what to ask for. I assumed the first time I went that the CM would offer me choices based on the disability but that is not the case. What are the different "categories"?

Also, I've mentioned before that on my solo trip I was advised everywhere I tried to use my GAC for an alternate entrance that I needed to get a wheelchair. I was solo and couldn't use a wheelchair for starters and I didn't want to spend my time shuffling around on my backside. I understand that is the "line" they give all guests with "endurance" issues (as does the new Passporter guide, I see). Walking was not so much the issue as was *standing*. As long as I was moving, I didn't stiffen up, but when I was left to stand for any length of time (Pooh, IASW, Pop bus, etc), it was very slow and painful to get things moving again.

Any suggestions where to find the GAC info I need for our upcoming trip?

If you have the old GAC you can just give it to them and they will replace it.

As far as alternate entrance that means you can use the fast pass line if there is one.

graygables said:
... Walking was not so much the issue as was *standing*. As long as I was moving, I didn't stiffen up, but when I was left to stand for any length of time (Pooh, IASW, Pop bus, etc), it was very slow and painful to get ...

Did you tell the CM what you just told us? Perhaps they need to hear thatwalking isn't so much the issu as standing/moving slowly is the issue. What did your previous GACs say? Were they helpful?

Just agreeing with the others.
To be fair to the CMS, they get a lot of people just asking for specific accomidations without explaining their needs. What you listed is a list of daignosis and a request to not wait in line, not a list of needs.
Many people with those same diagnosis don't need a GAC, so you need to explain what needs are related to them.
Figure out what is likely to happen while waiting in line and try to explain that.
:flower:

I'm always direct with them...and tell then exactly what I want. We just returned from 4 days. When I went to GS the first day at MK, I brought one of my (2) ASD kids with me. I clearly stated "We're traveling with (2) autisitc children and need a GAC for alternate entrances". The CM hoped out of her chair, grabbed the GC and started writing. I've never had an issue on any of our trips.

Use at some of the attractions can be another issue. Most of the CM's are great, but occassonaly you get one that has not idea what they should be doing when you shoe them the card.

Michigan said:
As far as alternate entrance that means you can use the fast pass line if there is one.

I had several instances at various attractions where I was told to use the FP line I *HAD* to have a FP, despite the GAC. :confused3 Without knowing what the different GAC categories are, I have a hard time dealing with the CM who ceratinly wasn't volunteering any information.

IF the fast pass line is wheel chair accessable then that would be the alternate entrance for most attraction. And yes they can ask for you to get a fastpass if there are fastpass times left for that attraction it states it right on the Guest assistance card.
JenJen

Utilize Fastpass! For endurance issues, it's the greatest thing. It really helped us with my mom, who also stiffens up when still. Actually, she really stiffens up when sitting, so a wheelchair would be the worst thing for her, she'd never be able to get out of it! I barely got her out of the IASW boats, the PotC boats, Maelstrom, etc...

Anyways, FP was the saving grace for our trip, we didn't even need to get a GAC.

graygables, if the standby line is a Mainstream line, then a FP is needed to use the FP line, unless your GAC has a special stamp.

I just returned last Thursday from 7 nights at Disney. The first day I went to Guest Services at the MK. I told the CM that my daughter has sensory issues and that I needed a GAC. He gave it to me with no problem. Since it wasn't that crowded. I didn't need to use it all of the time. But, when I did. I was always allowed to use the fast pass entrance. I was never given any type of hard time. And it seems they are trying to teach new employees this. When I used it to go on Test Track. They new CM called his supervisor over and he told him that we are to use the fast pass line.

ZIPBAGS said:
I just returned last Thursday from 7 nights at Disney. The first day I went to Guest Services at the MK. I told the CM that my daughter has sensory issues and that I needed a GAC. He gave it to me with no problem. Since it wasn't that crowded. I didn't need to use it all of the time. But, when I did. I was always allowed to use the fast pass entrance. I was never given any type of hard time. And it seems they are trying to teach new employees this. When I used it to go on Test Track. They new CM called his supervisor over and he told him that we are to use the fast pass line.
It sounds like the GAC that you were given did allow use of the Fastpass return, but one thing people don't always realize is that not all GACs do that.
The message that is on the Fastpass is based on the needs the person has.

Some people have only a need to avoid stairs, so that's what their GAC would allow. Someone might need to treat a stroller as a wheelchair, but their main need is for mobility, so that's what the message on their GAC would allow.

Sometimes the GAC is not handled the way you expect because the CM is not sure what the process is, but sometimes it's for other reasons, things like other needs the person has and how busy the attraction is.
My DD has sensory and attention issues, as well as using a wheelchair for mobility. There are times when we arrive at an attraction and they already have quite a few people with mobility issues waiting. Because of fire rules, there are limits on the number of people who would need special evacuation allowed at one time on an attraction. Sometimes it's a space issue - at ITTBAB one time, we were asked to have only DD and one other person in the special needs (chained off) waiting area. They had a number of children with sensory issues waiting and were trying to keep the area uncrowded for them. If more had come, the CM said she would have had them wait for the next show.
That is why sometimes, even if you have a GAC that allows it, they will turn you away from the Fastpass entrance and give you a slip to come back at a later time. That helps the CMs to handle the flow of the attraction better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter