Galaxies Edge

tink15823

DIS Veteran
Do you think Disney will offer guest asstiance passes when it first opens ? We originally thought we booked before the opening to our surprise and our sons delight it will be opening 5 days before our trip . I know that the line would be impossible for our son medical conditions.

Do you think Disney will offer guest asstiance passes when it first opens ? We originally thought we booked before the opening to our surprise and our sons delight it will be opening 5 days before our trip . I know that the line would be impossible for our son medical conditions.

We don't really know yet, because we don't know how they are going to handle access into the land yet. But I thought I remembered seeing something that DAS would be honored for the line at the ride. If they have a virtual queue to get into the land, that would work nearly identically to the way DAS currently works anyway. I'm watching it as we have a kiddo who needs DAS and we are going at the end of August. Hopefully more details come out once they see how things go at Disneyland!

ETA - remember that SWGE is just an area within Hollywood Studios, not a park all by itself. So if your son is granted a DAS pass, it will be valid at all the parks and there won't be anything different offered at SWGE. It's just a matter of HOW it will be used, or if it's even necessary depending on how they handle the crowd control.

Yes there will be some type of accommodation to those that qualify for one. Most likely the DAS.

They have stated that the DAS will be honored (as one would expect), but they haven't indicated how this will be handled yet, especially during the reservation period at Disneyland. We will get an idea soon though.

not to be a Debbie downer but even with DAS I would imagine the entire area, not just ride lines , would be massively congested regardless with huge crowds( even with them restricting access) for the first year it is open.

They have stated that the DAS will be honored (as one would expect), but they haven't indicated how this will be handled yet, especially during the reservation period at Disneyland. We will get an idea soon though.
My guess is that at Disneyland once your in the land for your reservation you will then get a return time to ride the ride.

not to be a Debbie downer but even with DAS I would imagine the entire area, not just ride lines , would be massively congested regardless with huge crowds( even with them restricting access) for the first year it is open.
Hospitality CMs at DLR are aware of this and have been suggesting that guests who know that dense crowds can be a problem might want to avoid SWGE for a while after it opens -- at least until there are consistent, reliable reports that Disney has a good handle on crowd management and good policies in place for crowd control.
OP: as I said in another thread, CMs confirmed as recently as this past Saturday that SWGE will have DAS for MFSR. But there has been no official word yet on how exactly that will work. As soon as we find out, it will get posted here and in the DLR trip planning forum.

For pandora the land was crowded but you could still find little spots that were not with them restricting the amount of people in the land. TSL this was harder So I ended up going in when my return time was and then leaving.

I don't think we'll hear anything about how WDW is handling SWGE until end of June at the earliest. I think they will assess how the reservation system in DL is going. I don't think experiences with Toy Story or Pandora can be used for this. I think it's going to be more like when Potter opened at Universal and there was a several hour wait just to get into that area of the park. How that impacts a DAS, I'm not sure. I know that since the area is all interactive, they are expecting people to spend a minimum of 2 hours just in the land itself - not even including the ride.

Hospitality CMs at DLR are aware of this and have been suggesting that guests who know that dense crowds can be a problem might want to avoid SWGE for a while after it opens -- at least until there are consistent, reliable reports that Disney has a good handle on crowd management and good policies in place for crowd control.
OP: as I said in another thread, CMs confirmed as recently as this past Saturday that SWGE will have DAS for MFSR. But there has been no official word yet on how exactly that will work. As soon as we find out, it will get posted here and in the DLR trip planning forum.
Disney has stated they designed the land with this need in mind as well, so it will be interesting to see how that is handled.

I don't think we'll hear anything about how WDW is handling SWGE until end of June at the earliest. I think they will assess how the reservation system in DL is going. I don't think experiences with Toy Story or Pandora can be used for this. I think it's going to be more like when Potter opened at Universal and there was a several hour wait just to get into that area of the park. How that impacts a DAS, I'm not sure. I know that since the area is all interactive, they are expecting people to spend a minimum of 2 hours just in the land itself - not even including the ride.
They are providing 4 hour blocks of time in the land at Disneyland, chances are WDW will skip the reservation period and go with the boarding pass system that Disneyland is implementing after the reservation period.

But I would expect 4 hour blocks of time.

We've got reservations for Galaxy's Edge at the end of Disneyland's reservation period, and I'm very interested in the first reports. We managed the past trip without using my son's DAS by going during a less crowded time and utilizing MaxPass, but I'm worried about crowding in the land itself. We were hoping to go stroller-less (in some ways, he says it's easier when he's walking because he knows he can walk away if the stimulus is too much) but I worry it's just going to be completely too much.

We've got reservations for Galaxy's Edge at the end of Disneyland's reservation period, and I'm very interested in the first reports. We managed the past trip without using my son's DAS by going during a less crowded time and utilizing MaxPass, but I'm worried about crowding in the land itself. We were hoping to go stroller-less (in some ways, he says it's easier when he's walking because he knows he can walk away if the stimulus is too much) but I worry it's just going to be completely too much.
We had hoped to miss the opening and I know families on here will understand. We book when we did and got free dinning so we were greatefull and confident we would miss it . Haha wrong well we’re going and if it gets really bad the girls will hit Epcot and the guys can stay at Hollywood studios . Our plan is to go be at rope drop and go directly back . We will see of course we will watch and see The DIS when it opens in Disneyland and Disney World .

Disney has stated they designed the land with this need in mind as well, so it will be interesting to see how that is handled.
I'm not so worried about Disney and the CMs -- they'll do their best and adjust on the fly as they see what's happening day by day. I worry more about the super fans and other guests who aren't well informed or just don't care about other people. We've been to D23 Expo when the SWGE announcements were made and the model revealed -- it wasn't always pretty. So I really hope Disney can get a good handle on things well before anything gets out of control.

I'm not so worried about Disney and the CMs -- they'll do their best and adjust on the fly as they see what's happening day by day. I worry more about the super fans and other guests who aren't well informed or just don't care about other people. We've been to D23 Expo when the SWGE announcements were made and the model revealed -- it wasn't always pretty. So I really hope Disney can get a good handle on things well before anything gets out of control.
I would suggest arming the storm troopers, but that would introduce actual weapons and they wouldn't hit anything they intended to anyway.

Seriously, Disney needs get some guys and kick people out of the parks when the break rules, be it smoking, flash pictures on rides (I am not talking the one off, but rather the repeated and possibly intentional use of flash photography throughout the ride), etc. for the day without refund for the first or second offense as appropriate.

I spoke with several plaids and a manager today who all confirmed separately that there will be a new Information Kiosk (green umbrella) outside the Big Thunder Trail entrance to SWGE (across from the old smoking area, under the DLRR bridge). This is where you can request a DAS return time for MFSR before entering SWGE for your reservation window. Information on which line to use for your return time will be given when you request your return time.

They are providing 4 hour blocks of time in the land at Disneyland, chances are WDW will skip the reservation period and go with the boarding pass system that Disneyland is implementing after the reservation period.

But I would expect 4 hour blocks of time.

In the article linked in the other thread, it stated that the second phase would not have a time limit.

We had hoped to miss the opening and I know families on here will understand. We book when we did and got free dinning so we were greatefull and confident we would miss it . Haha wrong well we’re going and if it gets really bad the girls will hit Epcot and the guys can stay at Hollywood studios . Our plan is to go be at rope drop and go directly back . We will see of course we will watch and see The DIS when it opens in Disneyland and Disney World .

My guess is that rope drop would be the worst time to get there - every star wars fan in the universe is going to be there at rope drop.

I spoke with several plaids and a manager today who all confirmed separately that there will be a new Information Kiosk (green umbrella) outside the Big Thunder Trail entrance to SWGE (across from the old smoking area, under the DLRR bridge). This is where you can request a DAS return time for MFSR before entering SWGE for your reservation window. Information on which line to use for your return time will be given when you request your return time.

I believe the OP is talking about WDW, not DL? Never heard of Big thunder Trail at WDW?

... I believe the OP is talking about WDW, not DL? Never heard of Big thunder Trail at WDW?
Since DL is doing all things SWGE first, WDW is and will continue to be watching everything DL does with this new land. If the DAS policy works well at DL, I would expect it to greatly influence what happens next at WDW. It will be helpful for WDW DISers to keep an eye on how DL handles this over the next few weeks during the reservation period and over the summer when SWGE opens up to everyone.

Since DL is doing all things SWGE first, WDW is and will continue to be watching everything DL does with this new land. If the DAS policy works well at DL, I would expect it to greatly influence what happens next at WDW. It will be helpful for WDW DISers to keep an eye on how DL handles this over the next few weeks during the reservation period and over the summer when SWGE opens up to everyone.

Except WDW policy and DL policy aren't always the same - WDW has FP+, DL has MaxPass, etc. But the original reason I pointed out the discrepancy is so that guests wouldn't be wandering around WDW looking for the Big Thunder Trail you mentioned.

Except WDW policy and DL policy aren't always the same - WDW has FP+, DL has MaxPass, etc. But the original reason I pointed out the discrepancy is so that guests wouldn't be wandering around WDW looking for the Big Thunder Trail you mentioned.
What they should be watching for is to see if this idea of having a Kiosk right outside one of the entrances to SWGE (instead of actually inside the land) works well. If this strategy works well at DL, then WDW may use it, too. If having the Information Kiosk outside SWGE does not work well, then WDW may move their Kiosk inside the land or just have CMs use handheld devices to give out DAS return times. There are DISers who will be visiting SWGE on both coasts (and who have been posting about this on various boards) and who need to know how DAS will work on both coasts. Looking only for a specific geographic location was not the intention of my post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter