Galaxy's Edge trip

Dillan

Earning My Ears
Hi! My name's Dillan and I'm planning a trip to Disneyland next year hopefully around the end of June or sometime in July based on the rumors of what the opening date will be for Galaxy's edge. Some questions I had are basically if anyone has heard the same anything different as far as the Disneyland Galaxy's edge opening around June 21st? And also what your thoughts may be one when it will open? Also, should I wait until the spring/late winter to book my flights and hotel or should I go with my gut and book those within the next couple of months? Just curious to hear others' opinions because and I'm nervous that an official date for Disneyland won't be announced until Star Wars Celebration which is in the middle of April.

Im not sure when it will open, but have heard that date as a possibility.

If i am sure i am going I would book something now that would allow be to cancel or change with out penalty.

Yeah, I've thought about doing that with the hotel, but then I started looking at Air b&b's that seem really close to the park and are also much cheaper than a hotel, So that's one of my issues.

Is the opening date of June 21st pretty set in stone? We are planning a trip the first of June, and DON"T want to be there for the opening of SWGE. We want to avoid it if at all possible. Just wondering, Thanks.

Yeah, I've thought about doing that with the hotel, but then I started looking at Air b&b's that seem really close to the park and are also much cheaper than a hotel, So that's one of my issues.
They’re not really close. And they were banned in Anaheim. They have an extension but I’d be wary of that.

Try Anaheim desert inn. It’s cheper the earlier you book.

Is the opening date of June 21st pretty set in stone? We are planning a trip the first of June, and DON"T want to be there for the opening of SWGE. We want to avoid it if at all possible. Just wondering, Thanks.
It’s highly likely. I’ve also heard may around Memorial Day as a possible opening.

The Air BnB's that claim they're really close to the park are probably not. Some even have their location setting on the map as being inside Disneyland property, which is definitely untrue. I would go with a hotel near the parks, they have several decent inexpensive ones that aren't too far.

No. Possible dates are all over the place. Could be end of May, could be end of June, could be later. I suspect that Disney doesn't know for sure themselves yet.

They’re not really close. And they were banned in Anaheim. They have an extension but I’d be wary of that.

Try Anaheim desert inn. It’s cheper the earlier you book.

Thanks for the info, I’m going to look into that place and others, the air b&b’s just are really tempting because of the price.

That’s what I’ve seen from the annual pass blackout dates and it makes the most sense if they’re going to plan on opening for the summer season and getting the summer tourists to go.

Is the opening date of June 21st pretty set in stone?...
The date is not set in stone, but several facts point toward that date for SWGE opening:
  • Disney has officially announced “Summer 2019”, and June 21 is the first day of Summer.
  • Deluxe APs are blocked all Summer starting June 214C4F5D55-CCBB-4D0D-91BD-6BE81FA8F31C.jpeg
My theory is Disney will try to open on Memorial Day, the usual kickoff of the Summer season.
Considering the size of the project, late June is more likely.

Well, my theory is that if they can, they might try to at least start opening for previews in May. Official opening could be any time in June, but June 21 makes a lot of sense due to the blackouts on APs.

You could try booking a few dates with free cancellation then just cancel the ones you don't need. I do not recommend AirBNB for Disneyland as there are some legal issues with those rentals in Anaheim.

Also, keep in mind that if you want to be there opening day, there might be some sort of special ticketed event. You may be looking at spending a hefty sum for the privilege of standing in line for hours.

I think they'll announce before Star Wars Celebration. At least in the past, Star Wars Celebration has been more about movie and television media than theme park news. I could be wrong though.

Well, my theory is that if they can, they might try to at least start opening for previews in May. Official opening could be any time in June, but June 21 makes a lot of sense due to the blackouts on APs.

You could try booking a few dates with free cancellation then just cancel the ones you don't need. I do not recommend AirBNB for Disneyland as there are some legal issues with those rentals in Anaheim.

Also, keep in mind that if you want to be there opening day, there might be some sort of special ticketed event. You may be looking at spending a hefty sum for the privilege of standing in line for hours.

I think they'll announce before Star Wars Celebration. At least in the past, Star Wars Celebration has been more about movie and television media than theme park news. I could be wrong though.

Thanks, I don’t think I’m gonna go opening day/week, that’d be too busy. Mostly thinking sometime after July 4th or August if I had too. I know it’ll be crazy busy then too, but I’m willing to put up with it.

Thanks everyone! Looks like we'll go some other time. The problem is, DLR will be super busy for quite a while after SWGE opens. Same with WDW.
I guess we will look at another year to go. My daughter wanted to go on a "girl trip" after school closes (granddaughter). We'll have to pick another destination, maybe WDW or Universal.
Thanks for that information. You saved us from all that crazy crowd with SW's, which none of us are interested in.

At DLR, location is key when it comes to choosing where to stay. Walkability and proximity are big, big deals. Hotels on Harbor Blvd. (or on/near Katella) are usually the first ones recommended here because of those two factors. The STR issue is dicey in Anaheim -- some properties got extensions and others are operating illegally. Be very careful if you choose to go this route.
These two threads should have good information for your trip planning:
Surviving Summer 2019 at Disneyland!
www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter