Galveston Hotels

Sleepyluke

DIS Veteran
We will be on the Wonder in December out of Galveston and starting to look at hotels around the port (or other areas if you tell me). Does anyone have any good places to stay that have parking and shuttles while you are away, or recommend jsut parking at the port. Good or bad experiences welcome.

Sorry, wanted to add, recent experiences if that matters since some of the hotels and areas were damaged with Harvey, as I understand it. But will take any and all info.

Thanks

We have sailed out of Galveston twice, most recently in December 2017 (post-Harvey). Both times, we stayed at the Hotel Galvez and were very happy. They have a park & cruise package that includes transportation to/from the port. It is a very nice, historic hotel that is now owned by Wyndham. They have limited spots on each shuttle on departure day, so be sure to sign up for the shuttle you want either before you arrive or as soon as you check in.

The Galvez is the "official" pre-cruise hotel used by DCL. I mention it just because if you are using DCL transfers from IAH this will be the best choice logistically, although it is not cheap. We've stayed at Harbor House, which overlooks the channel the ships come and go from. It partners with the Galvez for parking and use of their shuttle, but it is a bit cumbersome logistically to have to take your car to the Galvez to park. There are many hotels along the sea wall, such as the Hilton and the San Luis that offer parking and shuttles. I haven't ever seen the details on their websites so probably best to call before you book to see what their current status is. If you have your own car and want a more budget friendly hotel then there is plenty of parking available from the Port of Galveston plus other private lots. We have stayed at Harbor House and Tremont House, both of which are in the Strand area, which is closest to the port. Also we've stayed at the Double Tree, Hilton and Hampton Inn on the seawall pre-cruise but we have always parked at one of the lots close to the port, so I can't give you recommendations on shuttle service or parking. HTH's and feel free to ask any questions. We've sailed out of Galveston many times as it's close to home for us.

We have a reservation at the Hilton for a November cruise. Their park and cruise deal according to someone I talked to there was you pay for parking the nights you are staying at the hotel but then it's free while you're on the cruise.

We cruised out of Galveston on the Wonder for the first time in Nov 2017. We stayed at the Comfort Inn & Suites Beachfront which was nice. Not sure if they have park and cruise deals or not, because we parked at the Port. Parking at the Port was very easy and reasonably priced.

We stayed at Tremont House - they partner with Hotel Galvez and you can do a park and cruise for cheap. I chose this place because we are a family of five and they have rooms that sleep 5 - much cheaper than getting two rooms. Three blocks from the terminal. I recommend. PS I didn't read of any hotels in Galveston suffering bad damage from Harvey.

Well I guess I assumed some damage from Harvey but don’t know for sure. We will be driving down nd will be a caravan of 3 vehicles. I think we are going to have to call for the park and cruise deals none of the websites showed any availability during our time frame. The San Luis looks nice but not sure we need the full resort as we may end up in town late evening and just need a nice bed and free breakfast is always a plus. Or we come in early and take full benefit of the resort and enjoy the day. Who knows at this point. But thanks for the advice so far

Sleepyluke, as someone who lived in Galveston for 5 years and even longer in Houston, these are good hotel choices mentioned. There is also a FB group called Galveston Disney Cruisers where people ask for suggestions on hotels, airports, and things to do in Galveston before and after cruising. We will be taking our second DCL cruise Dec 14th from Galveston. Also, Galveston didn't experience much wind from Hurricane Harvey, just some typical street flooding. Go visit some shops on the Strand and ask them to show you the Ike water line though.

We'ver cruise out of Galveston a bunch and my parents are diamond on Carnival- all out of Galveston. We never do the hotel park and cruise because it's just not that convenient for us. We prefer to park at EZ Cruise, which is a private lot. They have an online coupon and is very reasonable. It's a quick off and on for embarkation/deparkation. That leaves us more options for hotels. San Luis is an upscale, modern resort. The Galvez is old world class. We love both but the Galvez's rooms are very basic. We've done the Hampton inn and Holiday inn- basic to the chain. We've also saved some money and stayed just in the other side of the bridge before entering the island in League City and Texas City when there has been activities in the island to make the hotels more expensive. Keep in mind there are really no hotels right On the beach. If you are in the Seawall, you will have to cross over the street to get to the beach.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!