Game of Thrones - Season 8 - NO SPOILERS PLEASE

I told my DH that it's interesting how fans have shifted over the years. At the beginning it was, "Oh no, what if the show gets ahead of the books?"

Later: "Thank goodness they are making this great TV show so we will at least know how it ends if George never finishes the books."

Now: "Oh please, let George finish the books! So we can have a proper ending!"

For awhile, I was wondering how people would accept differences between the TV show vs George's version for the last 2 books. Would fans at large think "Who cares, we know how it ends." But it looks like fate found a way for the books to remain relevant to people beyond the pre-TV show readers/voracious Fantasy readers who would have read the final 2 anyway. It's kind of makes the spoiler of who will end up on the Iron Throne akin to a re-telling of a historical event. Even though "you know how it ends," it doesn't ruin or diminish the need for great storytelling. The differences between a full book on a subject vs an encyclopedia entry.

Although, I really doubt that there is a Brienne love triangle anywhere in the books. So shippers will be disappointed. I haven't read them. When the show started, I told DH I would wait until the 6th book was published. That has been since amended to, "I will wait until the last book has been sent to the publisher." I'm kinda hoping that seeing how unsatisfying the show has become, has motivated George to write furiously, "This is not how it is supposed to go, you twats!" *bangs away on his keyboard.*
I heard he (GRR) is not thrilled with this season and is regretful of not getting the books completed.

It seems the further away the writers move from the GRRM influence of the books, the more bizarre the plot lines and character actions have become. We’ve seen this move away from true “storytelling” and into the realm of television writing. It’s very good television writing, but there is a sea of difference between what we saw in seasons 1-5 and what we’re seeing now. It’s shambolic and more than a little bit disappointing…
I don't entirely disagree, but I do think there's more to it than that. The books left off quite a while back and over the ensuing seasons I think the show writers have actually done a way better job than anyone expected to weave a satisfying progression in the story in ways that make sense and are appropriate for the characters as we came to know them. This season is a rude departure from that. We watched the final episode of Season 7 yesterday. Everything from the cinematography to the dialogue just seemed so much more "authentic" than the episodes this season have. It's actually quite a startling difference, watching it now in retrospect.

The only reason I can think of is that the decision to end the series was made in error - perhaps before the final season was written. It is just IMPOSSIBLE to adequately resolve all the sub-plots and do justice to the individual characters in so few episodes, let alone bring the entire thing to a satisfying (happy or not) conclusion. It's like they realized that, couldn't walk the mistake back and then just gave up.

Something I just thought of...maybe the lame last season was intentional. Maybe they agreed with GRR that they should aim to do a good final season but not bombastic...kind of a bit of a dud (just good enough) so that we'd all still be dying to read the final book. If this season was sooooo good and climactic and satisfying then maybe some folks wouldn't read the final book. I, honestly, don't think this season is way awful (not quite Walking Dead level of jumping the shark). It could have been longer and, sure, could have been better. But it's not where I don't want to watch the last 2 episodes. Now, we will see how I feel at the end. I suspect it won't be mind blowing but, hopefully, will still be something to talk about.

I heard he (GRR) is not thrilled with this season and is regretful of not getting the books completed.

Yes, this is exactly true. In fact the quotes and tweets I've seen indicate pretty clearly that he's quite dismayed, but is being circumspect with his comments because he likes Benioff & Weiss on a personal level.

Yes, this is exactly true. In fact the quotes and tweets I've seen indicate pretty clearly that he's quite dismayed, but is being circumspect with his comments because he likes Benioff & Weiss on a personal level.
:sad2: Then why on God's good earth didn't he just finish the books? He's written a lot of other stuff over the past 8 years. Given the last book was published before the first season of the show aired, I think he's had ample opportunity to prevent the current situation and I'm actually glad there was no weird clause in the contract that prevented HBO from going ahead.

:sad2: Then why on God's good earth didn't he just finish the books? He's written a lot of other stuff over the past 8 years. Given the last book was published before the first season of the show aired, I think he's had ample opportunity to prevent the current situation and I'm actually glad there was no weird clause in the contract that prevented HBO from going ahead.

I'll start a procrastination thread first thing in the morning...or by the end of the week...or the end of the month at the latest!

Yup, it's his own fault. He had plenty of time so I don't want to hear any of his complaints.

Also maybe I'm in the minority but I've enjoyed this final season. I feel like fans are very hard to please with a popular show's final season. There are a few shows that seemed to satisfy the public but more often than not there is a lot more complaining than praising.

One of the things he said in an interview is:

“For me, when I go architect, when I try to outline something, if I’m successful in doing it, it almost feels like I’ve written the book, and now I don’t wanna write the book anymore."

I'm guessing the process of doing the show, where he had to outline, seriously cramped his writing process. Which is slow on a good day. That's why I said, maybe his frustration with seeing this last season play out on screen will motivate him to write again. So people can get the real end of the story. And not just a few plot points.

And tonight's episode...sheesh! Some cool cinematography in spots, otherwise a lot of "we think this will look cool," but it's really just making the show drag on and on an on.

Was slightly disappointed yet not surprised one bit. Wanted a bit more in terms of death, but there were a few decent battles.

Oh. My. Goodness.
I have never been a Daenerys fan, and I've never trusted her to play fair, but I never expected THIS.

Wanted a bit more in terms of death
Umm. More death? There was nothing but death.
You must mean something more. If so, please explain. I'm in shock right now. I never thought that Daenerys was a nice person but what she just did has me stunned.

I'm disappointed, but not surprised at her actions. Last season I made a comment to my DH about her changing to care more about the throne than people. We can't forget who her dad was (and her brother, for that matter!).

I was a tad surprised at Jamie for some reason. Maybe I should have seen it coming?

Nonetheless, it was painful to watch.

I'm disappointed, but not surprised at her actions. Last season I made a comment to my DH about her changing to care more about the throne than people. We can't forget who her dad was (and her brother, for that matter!).

I was a tad surprised at Jamie for some reason. Maybe I should have seen it coming?

Nonetheless, it was painful to watch.

I think the thing I'm most disappointed about is Jon Snow constantly telling this witch that he loves her. It makes no sense to me. She's so not his type, and I felt that way before she massacred a million innocent people (as well as many of her own followers).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter