Garage Sale advice needed

KiminChicago

DIS Veteran
My DH and I have finally made the decision that two children are enough, so we have a lot of children's clothes to sell. My mom is planning a garage sale next month so I'm in the process of getting all the clothes tagged and ready. Some of these items were never even worn because they were the wrong season or (in the case of my daughter and her doting Grandma) there were just too many dresses.

So, my question is this -- how does one determine what price to put on all these items? I want to make sure that we don't price things too high, but my DH keeps telling me I'm pricing them for too little.....

The one thing I've noticed with garage sales (at least in my area) is that people won't spend much on anything -- even if it is new.

What I found was that people would offer me 1/2 of whatever I had marked on the tag. For my 2nd garage sale I learned to put more on the tag than I actually wanted so I would get my price after they made their offer.

People seemed to walk away from stuff that was more than a buck or two and that included adult clothes.

Dan, thanks for doing the searching for me. I used to have a copy of LilMermaid's garage sale tips and I can't find it now when I need it (of course!)

I've been trying to keep up with all the meets, but now that the kids are old enough to get involved in all sorts of activities, our weekends get booked up fast. Can you believe little Sarah is starting preschool in September? I'm going to make a real effort to try and make it to one meet yet this year.....

It does seem to vary from area to area. You might want to hit a couple this weekend - for the sake of comparison guidelines.

Around here, adult clothing doesn't sell if priced more than $1 - unless it's something super like a leather jacket it GREAT shape! On the other hand, baby clothes will sell easily unless grossly stained. New dresses will sell even when priced at $7 or $8. Used dresses generally go for $3 - $5.

If your mother is having the yard sale, make sure that you include something like "baby items" or "girls clothing" in the ad. At least around here, yard sales with things for babies & preschoolers attract MUCH larger crowds!

Do you have a kids consignment shop in your area? You will get more money for the unused clothes there. I really like Once upon a Child. Good luck with your garage sale!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter