Garden Grill 9/14/06

pamrob

DIS Veteran
Had a 5 pm reservation. Checked in about 5-10 minutes early. Upon checking in I requested a lower level seat. We waited about ten minutes when our party was called. We were told there was no lower seating available. I offered that we would be willing to wait for a lower level seat. The gentleman who I assumed was a manager said he had another server arriving soon and that they could most likely honor my request in about ten minutes. I requested and was able to get a milk for my youngest who was the only really hungry member of our party. Within ten minutes we were seated in a lower level booth. I was glad to wait for the table and really enjoyed the seating.
Our server was Parvis. Service was ok. Parvis instructed several times which food items were for the adults and which food items were for the children. He mentioned it so many times it was uncomfortable like we were dining with the good police.
Although there was nothing bad about the food - I really didn't enjoy the meal as much as many that week. The steak was my favorite of the meats. I didn't enjoy the catfish although I had hoped to.
The children's chicken strips and fries with macaroni and cheese was good although I tried of looking at macaroni and cheese on my children's plate and looking forward to getting home to more balanced meals.
The dessert was good.
The character interaction was very good. We saw all the characters several times.
I would not consider the Garden Grill again in the future. Just didn't strike a chord with me. Not bad, but nothing to bring me back.

thanks for the review!

so essentially they were telling you your children couldn't eat the "adult" food? I'm sorry, but if things are going to be served family style, then i think that's a tad ridiculous. I'm sure if I had catfish or anything else my strong-willed 4 yr old might want on my side of the table, she wouldn't be satisfied with the same 'ole mac and cheese!

Thanks for the review - we'll be eating there for the first time next week. :)

I always thought it was strange that they serve kid's meals when it's family style, but from older reviews I thought the kids were still allowed to have the "adult" items.

I'm glad they allowed us to put DD8 on the adult plan - she picked GG because of the catfish, and would be very disappointed if she wasn't allowed to have it.

We have eaten there several times, matter of fact it is one of our favorite meals. They have NEVER told us that my DD 7 couldn't eat stuff that was served family style. And they ALWAYS brought us way more than we
needed and our server continued to ask if we wanted more of anything else. :confused3

Sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience.

I just made resv. for our family to eat here and the lady that took our resv. said that the dinner was not served all family style...the salad was brought to you family style, the entree was a set pick from the menu and the dessert was family style??

We ate there on 9/16 for lunch. I'll post a review once I get my pix downloaded. Anyway, we were told that we can share all of the food. They brought a cupcake to decorate for each of my kids, even though ds is 10 and they knew he was on the adult dining plan. I thought that it was nice that they brought him a cupcake. And that left more of the adult dessert for me to eat! :goodvibes

I'll try to do my review in a few days. I took pictures and I hope they turn out OK.

I have never been told I cannot eat my child's food or vice versa. Very odd. GG is my favorite and we eat there every trip. We always ask for a booth and do not mind waiting extra for it. Although on my next trip I think we will get a table up top, my 11 month old does much better in a high chair. Sorry you won't return, but I enjoyed your review!

I am now wondering about our ADR. We are going the first night of our trip. I had been very excited about it. However what was it about the catfish you did not like. You see I don't eat any red meat. I figured I could eat catfish. But if it is not good then I am left with salad a VERY EXPENSIVE SALAD> Please elaborate if you could. Thanks

I am now wondering about our ADR. We are going the first night of our trip. I had been very excited about it. However what was it about the catfish you did not like. You see I don't eat any red meat. I figured I could eat catfish. But if it is not good then I am left with salad a VERY EXPENSIVE SALAD! Please elaborate if you could. Thanks

I couldn't decide between this and 50's prime time. I choose the prime time and am glad I did based on your review. Thanks.

The catfish has always been good when we are there. And they also serve turkey and steak.

You only get salad with Dinner not lunch. And the dessert is different from lunch to dinner.

The catfish wasn't bad - it just didn't knock my socks off or grab my attention. I ate one small piece. My daughter (who loves fish) ate one piece and I believe my husband ate one piece. Alot of people like the catfish so perhaps you will as well. It was nice and mild. They also have a vegetarian entree that sounded good. You might look into that as an alternative.

I'm not a fan of seafood in general, but I thought that the catfish was good. I liked it better than the steak and the turkey, which was a bit on the dry side. To me, the catfish was the best of the three meats.

My kids ate the chicken tenders, which I didn't try.

I've been trying to resize pictures on photobucket so I can do my reviews, but I'm having a hard time getting the pictures reduced. I'll keep plugging away at it.

:)
monami7 said:
I am now wondering about our ADR. We are going the first night of our trip. I had been very excited about it. However what was it about the catfish you did not like. You see I don't eat any red meat. I figured I could eat catfish. But if it is not good then I am left with salad a VERY EXPENSIVE SALAD! Please elaborate if you could. Thanks
When we ate there last month they also had turkey - and it was delicious, really moist and with a lovely cranberry sauce.

We have turkey on our plate. However, I don't remember cranberry sauce?? The turkey I had was really dry but I was the first one to take a piece. My husband's piece was moister. Perhaps the food sat under a lamp for a bit before it was brought to our table which would have dried out the top piece.

mickeysgirl17 said:
I couldn't decide between this and 50's prime time. I choose the prime time and am glad I did based on your review. Thanks.

Keep in mind this is just one person's review. We ate here a few months ago and enjoyed it very much. The food was fresh and delicious. Wouldn't hesitate returning. ;)

jsoutherland-The entire meal is NOW family style. They tried to get fancier about 2 yrs ago and decided to have a regular menu instead of the family style choices. Don't think it went over well (as we didn't care for that change) so by popular demand they went back to the "family style home cook'in". Some of the choices have changed but it is still very good. :thumbsup2

mickeysgirl17 said:

We love both Prime Time 50's and Garden Grill. But, if I only had one choice, I would pick Garden Grill (ask for Victor as your waiter; he is GREAT!). Also, I am not a big seafood eater but love the fish at GG.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter